Posts by david8029

In real life no nuclear reactor has ever exploded and from what I have read theoretically it is not possible for them to explode. They have melted down but that is a far cry from the kind of explosions currently in the game. Basically all we are asking for is to make an effective containment vessel which in real life all nuclear reactors have.

Chernobyl = Giant MinecraftCreeper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

My previous reply was edited right as you posted. Also I believe there is a way to safe guard the area around the reactor but it may prove to cost much more than it does to merely operate the reactor itself. So I guess 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'.

I tested the blast radius and damage of a full reactor set filled up with uranium. It took a 7x7 11x11 cube (I looked at the cube and found that I miscounted lol) of reinforced stone to absorb the blast. Even then there was slight outside damage where one or two holes were made and blasted through. While I did not try obsidian, if the reactor and nuke operate like the normal tnt then I would say the encasing it fully in obsidian will grant you the best protection.

Edit: I just tried with a 5x5 cube of obsidian. The result was not what I expected. MinecraftCreeper The meltdown completely destroyed the obsidian cube and the surrounding area. Looking at the blast radius it seems that the obsidian had little to no effect on the blast. Troubling...

Edit: I also tried filling only a reactor full and encasing it in a 5x5 cube of obsidian. While not all the obsidian was destroyed the result was still a disastrous. So I would recommend fully encasing the reactor set in water with atleast 3-4 layers of obsidian. You must also take into account the wiring and must have the exit for that properly encased as much as possible.

I haven't played the beta yet so I don't know how accurate this is but, I believe I saw something on HV cables that were not insulated shocking people. I now it was like that in IC1. It did it even when it was buried one block down in the ground. Just do that or raise the HV cable up to 1 or 2 blocks high. But if this is not how it works. then by all means I am for an electric fence.

Wouldn't be nice if you were flying in your MoveCraft (or similar) ship and was about to be attacked by another player in his ship and you had a field generator that covered your entire ship instead of just part of it. I would suggest that you could either make the normal field generator compatible with those around it or create an advanced field generator. Making it compatible would be like using the PStone protection block. When you power generators that overlap instead of having parts where both generators have parts blocked off inside the field make them just combine at that point and stop there. It would make it easier to protect a larger area and still allow movement through the entire area.