Posts by X-Heiko

How about an iridium-based heat disperser that makes transitive adjacencies count for uranium cells? I mean, the number of adjacent cooling components determines the amount of heat generated, yes? What if "all cooling components adjacent to" the iridium-based heat disperser added into that number? Each "Ir-HD" would have up to 3 adjacencies extra.

Of course, if Ir-HDs would count as cooling components, too, you could make either infinite or ridiculously overpowered cooling. It shouldn't cool itself and cost a heat disperser and 8 Ir plates. Or make it transmit adjacencies of uranium cells (too?)?

Just saying, transitive adjacencies could make nuclear reactors a bit more complex. Ah, I don't know.

Make that "kilo" and "tera" and you're suggesting SI standards. It does make sense to have these if you want to talk about industrial creation of matter or self-supporting nuclear reactors. I use the word "MEU" anyway. Also, how cool does "Mega-Unit" sound? 8)

(Yes, it's "Energy Unit", but we don't have atom weight yet, so "unit" will do.)

There was another mod someone suggested, it would have added algae like some kind of underwater sugar cane plant but could grow taller if planted in deep water. They suggested things like alternatives for food, dyes, and fuel as well.

I am remembered! *foreveralonelaughing*

I don't know if this was intended, but terraformers with a mushroom blueprint will turn giant mushroom blocks into mycelium. This causes giant mushrooms to grow on giant mushrooms. After testing it in creative mode, I had two quadruple giant mushrooms.

Why not make mooshrooms spawn there instead? :D

I feel this should be four separate threads, but anyway:

The Energy Field Detector sounds like a fun idea, but I imagine it's hard to implement. It might help planning large-scale energy nets. I don't know how useful that'd be to most people, though.

Some kind of portable teleporter would indeed be nice. Your idea sounds somewhat like a town portal for mining ^^

I think the ELS should be an upgrade for helmets, especially the QuantumSuit helmet. Did I mention I think modular upgrades should be implemented as pseudo-enchantments?

I am no friend of even better chests, but maybe I'm the wrong person to ask. I found it nice to build a big RP machine that sorts all of our stuff into a 120-chests-matrix. :S

Yeah, I just tried this and it doesn't work. I could understand the balancing problems, though - water can be gotten infinitely with a BC pump powered solely by RS engines. That'd make for a super cheap 2EU/t generator without placement constraints, thus at least 4 times as "awesome" as solar cells. :whistling:

However, I feel this is somewhat inconsistent. :S I'd rather have an extremely nerfed version of piped water mills :Water Mill: than not following the "we accept pipes now" logic. My spontaneous suggestion would be to say that if a BC pipe gives a water mill :Water Mill: water (a certain amount of buckets per time), it will work as if it were surrounded by water completely. 8|

That way, you could build a huge dry array of generators not stronger than solar panels which also need a water piping system that needs a bit of infrastructure to work. I imagine it's going to be a bit of a hassle building it with all the cables :Cable: , buffering blocks :Batbox: , pipes, pumps etc. The player would have to decide whether they'd trade resource costs (water mills are way cheaper) and independence of sunlight and height for an engineering challenge. This would be one for the money saving kind.

What do you think? Also, emoticons.

If I'm not mistaken, a BatBox has a simple use: Feed a subnet with exactly 32EU/t. The way I understand it, if you get 64EU/t, you can take 32 from them by putting a batbox inbetween and feed a Mass Fabricator with half your power that way, leaving the rest for your machines.

Colors are fun, and if new minerals are to be added, algae would provide many ways to gain color-based minerals. Expandability is the word here, I guess. As long as no one expects 1024 redstone per minute from one red algae plant...

I'd be careful with making non-renewable things renewable. We have UU-Matter, but it's far from imbalanced or overpowered. If you have enough energy to just produce diamonds for fun with the Mass Fabricator, you are so far it doesn't make sense to restrict you. However, being able to "farm iron" is probably against the idea of having to mine at all. It'd require delicate balancing.

Still, I'd volunteer for that balancing :love:

Just read the (German) wiki article on wood dust/sawdust. I suppose any kind of flammable dust would make for a cheap low-tier explosive. Sound isolation isn't really something you'd opt for in IC2. However, arguing that pressing briquettes rather than "just charcoal" fits the industrial style is, in my opinion, something to be considered. There is also fibreboard, but that'd be "just another texture for wood".

So, even if there are applications loosely based on realistic cases, game balance suggests wood dust is "a discussion worth having, but currently not of interest"?

I don't mean to judge you, but I think you should keep your ideas compact and modest. I mean, I've thought about self-generating planets with randomly-generated ores and tiers, too, but that's the kind of thinking you should leave to Disgaea developers. :D

I suppose changing the world generator is difficult - I would not expect a "world core" dimension to be part of IC2 anytime soon. If it's just about high-pressure processes that happen in the core, then why not just use the compressor?

I noticed that and am thankful for it :)
    Seeing as there's agriculture coming up... I know it's limited to tilled soil, or at least Alblaka specified it that way, but underwater/hydroponic crops/algae might be an addition to consider. As there would be many colors of algae, the possibilities of crossing them with plants are many and allow for "solely color-based stuff" such as the already-suggested redstone wheat (which I still think would be overpowered).

Seeing as the ore dictionary seemingly allows distinguishing between "dye just colors" and "Lapis can be used for Lapotron, but not indigo flowers from RedPower", rose red isn't always the "we already have that" answer. Also, algae contain loads of minerals, for the realism-lovers :) . If there's ever a use for iodine, just get purple algae.

What I'm asking myself right now is this: "Application-specific and easy" or "universal and hard"? Consider these two examples:

a) A machine which lets you specify an amount of EU you can "buy" per IC2 coin you put in. The coins are then only accessable by you. You are to provide the energy infrastructure behind it, but it's pay-per-EU for the customer. Of course, a pickaxe will let a griefer bypass that block easily, so the question about "what domain of people are we talking about" arises, but that's a different story.

b) A cable which blocks EU transmission when under redstone current and a cable that sends an ultra-short pulse per single EU per packet that traverses it, intended for use with RedPower's counters. Of course, this brings up the problem of a second only having 20 ticks. Without a special kind of redstone signal bus, you'd have a problem. Were you to take the 16bit bundled cable, though, you'd be able to analyze the energy usage of up to around 32MEU/t. That would require mod interaction with RedPower, which is neither going to happen, nor very helpful.

If you want to create an application-specific machine, the question is: Is the application relevant? In the case of SMP servers getting power from "the city government", I'd say "Yes, for newcomers." These could just buy charged RE batteries and get a big portion of their money back if they return the empty ones. But then, another question arises: Since anyone can craft money, how do you deal with inflation?

It seems to me that, with the current "economic" component of IC2, your goal, however sensible, is not well achieveable :(