Posts by X-Heiko

Which is the next point: Sad as it is, but... "pressure furnace" sounds like "compressor + furnace", which, in turn, sounds like "compress it, then smelt it". And if you reduce these ideas to new recipes for existing machines, you seem to basically want a recipe to turn industrial diamonds into real diamonds at a cost.

This cost clearly depends on other mods, which one mod never can fully estimate. I think if Alblaka wanted industrial diamonds to be used as a substitute for any kind of diamond, we would have gotten real diamonds with that recipe. While I understand the motivation of your idea, I don't think it consistently fits IC2. It's always hard to consider other mods, especially if there's exploits like turning tin into iron by making tin buckets and re-crafting them into iron, which some mods allow.

tl;dr: If we should be able to make real diamonds out of coal, we wouldn't need this kind of approach, but just a more expensive recipe for industrial diamonds :S

I find it difficult to understand what you mean. Did you mean: You can turn one industrial diamond and a half of a real diamond into one real diamond? Personally, I'd think half an industrial diamond would already do the trick, coal is rather abundant but not infinite. ?(

Good point. Also, what came to me during this day: Paper is made like that, so we'd have the opportunity to make paper from wood, which is the actual way paper is made. Paper from sugar cane is possible, but I remember a post on Reddit about "how unrealistic!" being answered with "wiki it, fool!" :D

Still, you'd have to balance white algae growth, nay? I mean, given all algae grow equally fast: Bonemeal is way more useful than green dye. Which basically brings up the question about how quickly algae grow at all, in dependency of their color.

But that's nothing a little balancing couldn't fix. I, for one, am very pleased to see how constructively suggestions are discussed on this board! :thumbup:

I didn't know that! Guess you can always learn! ^^

But still, sticky resin is somewhat reserved for making cable insulation, at least I don't really have any to spare. I guess this is a "feel and balancing" question, which, as I feel, Minecraft tends to answer with "feel", at least before 1.8.1.

Another question would be: Would there be more uses for wood dust? I can't think of any good uses spontaneously... :S

It could also be a password-protected redstone current. You'd just have to make sure you whisper to the hologram.

As with libraries and writeable books, I think this would be nice! Think of a hologram that you can program with a simple tree structure of things it can say and react to! That'd be some tour guide!

Thanks for your answer! Well, Charcoal is good for making torches, too. One wood block per four torches - that's one ratio that's not upgraded yet. One might argue, however, that IC2 provides luminators, but I don't really use them for mines.

You make a good point, though. Being a solar person, I didn't think of fuel efficiency that much, smelting for free most of the time. Which brings up this: If smelting can be done for free anyway, does improving the wood-to-fuel ratio hurt that much? You'd need some equipment, too.

Hello, fellow IndustrialCrafters!

This quick suggestion is fairly simple and quickly explained, so get this:

-Macerate anything made from wood into a certain amount of wood dust or small wood dust piles.
    ->A wood block will get you 4 wood dust, a wooden plank nets 1 wood dust. A stick will only become a small wood dust pile.
    -Craft 2 small wood piles into 1 wood dust.
    -Compress wood dust into pellets.
    -Smelt pellets into charcoal.

I know that pellets have already been suggested, but this approach seemed different to me. All numbers are merely suggestions - I realize this particular setup will quadruple charcoal gains, which may be considered overpowered. The reason I suggest this is that, with industrial diamonds, I tend to not ever use coal for anything but diamonds and coal dust, so charcoal is very nice to have, be it for torches or early-on energy generation.

Since the macerator already doubles ore gain, why shouldn't it enhance charcoal gain, too?
    Thanks for reading! What do you think?

Hello, fellow IndustrialCrafters!

I came up with an idea recently. As one of the rare species of peaceful players (Actually, I play on servers without monsters so hunger still applies), I find it hard to acquire bonemeal, which I would very much like to have. My little answer was: Algae.

What is new:

-Four types of algae are added to the world generator.
    ->Algae can be blue, green, yellow or red. Their colors are directly linked to the biomes they appear in.
    -Algae are rather rare and appear more commonly in deeper water.
    -Algae behave like underwater reeds: They are still water in terms of "can I swim through and drown" and require water to be placed or grow into a block. When harvested and surrounded by source blocks, they turn into a source block (not to generate a current when harvested).
    ->Algae grow better the deeper they are planted. If they are planted above sea level, they will, for instance, not achieve heights over 2. Bedrock-level farms will stretch 10 meters high.
    -Algae grow in the (relatively) dark, but light won't hurt them either.

What to do with it:

-Any four base algae items of the same color can be crafted into an algae chunk.
    ( Maybe : -Any one base algae item can be cooked into roasted seaweed for food... Sushi?)
    -An algae chunk can be used in the compressor. This nets respectively colored mineral chunks.
    -Mineral chunks can be macerated into dyes, I suggest a 1:2 ratio but, as with all numbers, these are just suggestions.
    -Two algae chunks of two different, mixable colors can be crafted into two same-colored algae chunks of that mixed color.
    ->Blue algae chunk + Red algae chunk = 2 Purple algae chunks
    -Four algae chunks of the four base colors net 2 white algae chunks. Macerate these into (industrial) bonemeal!

What does it achieve?
    -Adventuring: You will have to find these rare algae first.
    -Aesthetics: Underwater areas with algae will look nicer.
    -Bonemeal farming and dye production: Finally build that huge colored thing in non-green! Also, fertilizer.
    -Expandability: Algae are very useful, right? You could expand the idea with more recipes, such as food or energy. Think of bio-hydrogen, plant fuel, or even a substitute black algae dust for making solar panels? Black algae aren't in my suggestion (yet), but they could be a super-rare, fifth base algae type. Algae can purify water, be used as medical items or as an alternative source of paper!
    -It fits the style of IndustrialCraft - a new-ish, fairly futuristic way of exploiting nature to one's benefits.

Thanks for reading! I just hope underwater plants are technically doable. What do you think?