Posts by narc

I have an idea. [...] a whole new liquid/item. Antimatter.[...]

Yes, that is an idea. I'm not satisfied with the generation method for this antimatter stuff, though -- I don't want to just copy UUM but give the new item just one reason to exist. A thought would be to have this item act as an explosive that never drops items (basically a small nuke with no drops). I'd want a whole industry chain for making it, though, including making containers that can, well, contain it, that would be highly expensive and/or time-consuming to make. And still I'd want more reasons for it to exist.

I'll keep it in mind and perhaps fiddle with the idea more in my copious spare time. Feel free to refine the suggestion further.

I'm having some issues replicating liquids using the refinery.[...]

I wish I could just tell you it was something you were doing wrong, but I have no idea what's causing that. It happened to Zerrens before, too -- his solution was just to update to Minecraft 1.4.7, and I imagine you've already done that, and it still didn't seem to be a complete fix. The problem with fixing it is I have to be able to reproduce it myself, so I can poke around the internals while it's happening, and I haven't seen this happen here. Right now I'm guessing it's something slightly odd about the refinery, but that's about all I can say.

I'm more than half-tempted to add an electric refinery to try and mitigate this issue, but that's going to be a while until it happens. In the mean time, the more you can tell me about how to make it happen on my own computer, the more likely it is I can try to fix it.

narc, I would love to see the Accelerator have 3 different faces for texturing, Top/Sides/Bottom just to allow for a bit of variation in the texturing.

Two problems: firstly, the accelerator can be rotated to face any of the six directions -- define for me "top" and "bottom" when the machine is facing up or down: do I replace the top/bottom texture with the machine-connected face, or do I try to rotate them, say, north and south? Second problem: the accelerator's current texture has always been intended to be purely temporary -- FunnyMan3595 has kindly donated a renderer for the accelerator internal tank's contents, but I need him to help me draw the enclosing tank itself, and then I need a "machine interior" texture, and to decide how I want to render said machine interior.

This is my next priority after making the Liquid Electrolyzer work, and while I have some idea of where I'm going with it, it's going to be fairly fiddly work that will take a little while. Please bear with me until I get there, as I really can't accept textures for the accelerator until then (unless, perhaps, you have a nice "IC2 machine innards" texture I could chop up and push around).

I'm frankly terrified by people who can't follow two sentences' worth of instructions. Will it help at all if I quote the instructions again?

Open your minecraft.jar file and the [Forge] universal zip file. Drop the contents of the zip file into minecraft.jar then delete the files in META-INF [whose names] begin with MOJANG.

To be fair, lately I've been a lazy bum and have been using MultiMC to install Forge for me.

Why does there *need* to be another way to transfer power long distance? I mean, I can think of a few ways to do it now: Railcraft power carts, lapotron crystals in an enderchest (or a chest cart), glass fiber cables, extreme-voltage cables, some crazy system relying on power conversion, and eventually it'll be possible to transfer power by sending liquid electrolyzed water through a pipe system. How many more ways do you need?

As for the possibility of a ULV transformer, I'm not actually convinced it'll be abused (unless the recipe is really cheap), but that it'll be useless. ULV is 5 EU/p, and after 40 blocks you've lost 1 EU, which is a whopping 20% of the power you put into the cable in the first place. Compare with glass fiber where you lose 1/512th in the same distance, or some of the other methods where you don't lose any power at all.

Finally, I'm really curious about these long-distance power transfers because I seem to have to go out of my way to make a sufficiently spread-out system that I need such long ranges. I don't like being a naysayer, but you're going to have to give me a scenario where all the current power transfer methods are wrong, and tin cable is right, because I can't seem to be able to think one up.

Whatever you feel is fine, I just make a few textures for fun!
    Yeah, Zerrens is fine for the name/IC2 forum profile, I don't really have much out there in the way of contacting.

If you (or anyone reading this thread for the matter) need more textures, I'll gladly do them.

All righty, then, thanks again! Expect to see your handiwork in v0.8, as soon as I have time to make it happen.

Well it works in Singleplayer too, but my server refused to make it work.

Oh, it was on a server -- I admit, I didn't test that. Theoretically, it should be working, though -- again, LiquidUU doesn't touch lava cans at all; there's no reference to them anywhere in my code -- but certainly I can investigate. Would you mind telling me what versions of everything you're running (Forge, Forestry, Thermal Expansion, LiquidUU)? I'll make my test environment as close to yours as I can.

I feel silly. When I made the test instance, I added the wrong version. The original problem WAS on 0.7.11b though. The non-experimental version works, but not every time. Seems to not work on world create, but if I close and reopen, replace all the stuff, the refinery starts behaving once I configure its GUI. Works fine from then on. :huh:

Yeah, that's just weird. I have no idea what's going on there.

Different topic, feels like it's more balanced now, I like the 3 UU/Oil cost. Seems like a good baseline.

Mhm, it worked all right. Glad you like it.

Edit: Saw you said you needed some possible textures, thought I'd give it a go for you because of the derp on my part. The first texture is idle, second is electrolyzing, and the third is delectrolyzing.

Excellent, thank you kindly. I really like the look, definitely want to use them. Is a Creative Commons-Attribution license good enough for you, do you want to be credited under a name other than this one, and do you want a link to a specific profile/website of yours other than the IC2 forum profile?

Your Addon makes Liquid Transposers from Thermal Expansion not extracting Lava Cans from Forestry. Please fix this, it is really annoying.

I don't touch lava cans, and the only thing I do with liquid transposers is use their API. If there's a bug, it's not in my code. For what it's worth, I just tested lava cans in my test world and they worked just fine (after I eventually remembered the LTs need power).

OK, about the electrolyzer stack bug, take a look at this screenshot of the creative inventory:[...]
    Notice anything weird? Check it out on your world! Does it happen to you?

It does not, but that's an interesting thing to find out. It looks like your version somehow has a canonical stack of size 64. This is very impressive given that nothing should be messing with my ItemStacks, and they're initialized with a stack size of 1.

Buh? 0.7.11 experimental is nowhere near the same version as 0.7.11b, and I'd strongly suggest updating (experimental versions really aren't intended for regular use), but... I still don't see how that would change anything.

With that said, changing Forges doesn't seem to have made any difference, either -- I've now run it successfully with Forges 472, 486, and 489. I'll keep trying to reproduce it, but unless and until I can, there's nothing I can do to help. Please try updating to the latest LiquidUU and seeing if that helps at all -- theoretically it shouldn't change anything, but I've seen stranger things happen.

How weird. I'd be willing to put it down to a possible Forge mini-glitch -- what happened was the client world returned no tile entity for a given block, which really shouldn't happen because the packets I'm using for this are chunk data packets, meaning they get sent *after* the server makes sure the clients all have the correct tile entity data. I suppose I could throw in a null pointer check in, though, just in case things arrive out of order (as they sometimes manage to), reducing the severity from a crash to machines just not facing the right way until you right-click them.

Thanks for the report, and glad it's working better in 1.4.7.

when logistics pipes tries to force a re-battery with no energy value into an auto crafting table

Again, the recommended workaround is NOT to have Logistics Pipes insert the battery into an autocrafting table at all! ACTs will happily use items out of adjacent chests, and satellite pipes let you redirect the batteries into an adjacent chest, which is the workaround already mentioned.

I believe the overpoweredness referred to would be EE's ability to turn anything into anything else, and Forestry's ability to run completely automatic tree/wheat/whatever farms. EE3 doesn't have enough content yet to be able to tell if it's going to be as overpowered as EE2 was, but my guess is it won't be -- still, any kind of judgement about it is going to need to be re-evaluated as it gets closer to Pahimar's vision.

I can't wait for the Liquid Electrolyzer.

I'm looking forward to having it, as well, but I keep getting distracted by other things that need doing. At least the conversion ratios were fairly easy to finalize, so...

New release time!

That's right, folks, it's that time of the week again: LiquidUU v0.7.11 final is now available from the OP. I did end up changing the base conversion to 3 UU -> 1 oil, and then I gave the convenience conversions a slight boost, making them 5 UU -> 1 fuel. It's still much more effective to convert to oil and refine than to duplicate fuel, but the option remains.

Speaking of options, everything's configurable! Well, almost everything. There are three categories for Liquid UU conversions: base, convenience, and nonfuel, and you can set the UU cost for each category independently. So, if you for some reason wanted it to be more efficient to duplicate fuel than oil, you could change uu.convenience to 1, or raise uu.base to 6, or you could boost fuel production to output 2 millibuckets per 5 mB of UU instead of 1. The refinery operation cost is also semi-configurable: it will always multiply the mj.per.uu cost by the amount of UUM being input -- so, by default, base conversions take 15 MJ/t, convenience conversions take 25 MJ/t, and nonfuel conversions take 5 MJ/t. Increasing this operation cost can help balance things out, too.

Here's a picture of (part of) my testing setup -- click the screenshot for a pic of all 11 liquids and how much of them came out of a single source bucket -- note that this section of the test setup had infinite UU:

I thought that looked pretty awesome, myself.

Query: is there any interest for a liquid conversion API and/or IMC handler? I could definitely push that into somewhere public now, so other mods could add their own liquid UU conversions instead of me having to track them all.

[...]when you dublicate Oil and Refine it afterwards you get 600kMJ minus some refining cost. When i burn the oil for EU in a crossover mod i get tons of energy[...]

...and so you would like to suggest that I adjust the default conversion ratios, and make them configurable (and maybe independently disable-able), so that folks can adjust their UU-to-liquids conversion to match their setup. Right?

Well, I have good news for you, that's one of the two things the 0.8 version is going to do, the other being a liquid electrolyzer to let you convert water into electrolyzed water without having to deal with cells at any point in the process. The next experimental will have the more fully configurable conversions, so look out for that -- I'm intending to purchase a round tuit tomorrow and make it happen.

I'm still undecided on whether the default conversion ratio should be 1 UU to 1 oil or more like 3:1, but I am leaning more and more towards the latter, which will change the current numbers fairly drastically.

I know this Problem. [...] Best example is the NEI-API[...]

Oh, God, yes. I tried to include the NEI API in my APIs and the amount of complaining it does is just incredible. Luckily for me, mcp_deobfuscate is very clever, so just putting the NEI jar in lib-obf and running deobfuscate_libs makes its classes and methods available for linking (via classpath during the compile process), allowing recompile_mods to just do its thing.

In unrelated news, I've made another experimental version! I'll quote the OP for the change list, since it's fairly long:

Not a proper release yet, but it's getting there.

Well, don't look at me, I'm not setting up your build environment for you. org.ldg.mcpd.MCPDeobfuscate is the main class of mcp_deobfuscate-1.2.jar, so my primary guess would be that either it or its dependencies are missing from mcp/runtime/bin. But I literally have no idea what's on your hard-drive. If I trust that you "put everything where the readmes told [you] to", then all I can conclude is you've reached some incredibly obscure bug that I've never met, and therefore I cannot help you. Shouting! at! me! isn't going to make me any more able to help you.