Posts by ShneekeyTheLost

I seem to be having problems figuring out where the pipe should connect. I tried both WP stone and redstone motor powered wood on both the miner and the pump. If I use non-WP wood and motor on the miner, it pulls the scanner out and dumps it on the ground.

I was also hoping it would drain the lava the way the BC pump does, but it don't seem to. So it looks like I'll have to run the miner without a pump and when it hits liquid, swap it for a BC pump

The IC2 pump does not pump out liquids directly. It requires cells (not cans, not capsules, not anything else, just cells) and puts the liquid in the cells. If it is directly adjacent, it will take the lava/water from the miner, put it in a cell, then eject to adjacent inventory.

So, you have the following setup:

Code
    Copper Cable       |  Geothermal      | Pipe    | Pipe
    Miner              | Pump             | empty   | pipe
    Chest              | Chest            | Pipe    | Pipe

Pipe from chest will be an Emerald chest pulling only Lava Cells from the double-chest.

here is another design I've worked on, however I don't know if it works as well as I think it does.

Optimally, it should be cooling 112/s from the three component heat transfers and one component heat vent. It's got enough vents to vent that much heat. And it would be able to be stacked so you get six of them in a six chamber larger version. Or just stack individual two-chamber two-cell ones. Whichever you prefer.

I think I found a cooling tower which cools 144/t, however it only has room for two cells in a six-chamber cooling tower. Build found here, using Quad-Plutonium to demonstrate the cooling capacity.

Yes, the central gold vent is shared, however it's a marginally used vent anyways, as you can vent all available heat able to be pulled by the gold component heat exchanger with seven gold vents and simply be shy by four heat.

Due to how cooling cells transfer heat (or rather, how they don't), 144/s is the theoretical cap of cooling per second per cell, as it is the fastest you can pull heat out of them (at 36/s from the component heat exchangers, and having one on each of the four sides).

Okay, first off... no. You burn lava in a Geothermal generator. It has nothing to do with nuclear technology.

Second off, it burns lava. Volcanoes have a LOT of lava in them. Enough to get you started, anyways. Put a pump on top and let 'er flow, directly connected to your geothermal with waterproof pipes/liquiducts.

Third off, if you run low on lava, try heading to the Nether. Plenty of lava there.

Fourth off... try searching before posting. There's plenty of topics on how to make Geothermals your beginning, middle, and endgame energy source.

Yea, Applied Energistics is really looking like an attractive option. I'm just starting to play around with the mod myself, but if it can do what I think it can do, it could really make things a LOT easier.

And heck, it could theoretically do the combines with the re-enriched cells for you to fully automate a high-output breeder.

I haven't had a chance to test it out yet with 1.4.7, much less 1.5, but I think AE is going to make a lot of logistics problems much easier.

If nothing else, it can be used to automate a CRCS system instead of using RP2. The only thing that I'd be concerned with is how it handles damage values. If it works like RP2 and just flags damaged/undamaged, it should be simple. If it works on precise values... well... that could be a way to regulate micro-cycles precisely far easier than just using timing.

Real Life has been bludgeoning me over the head with Murphy's Law, which has made it more difficult for me to get more familiarized with the actual capabilities AE has. However, the mod itself has... potential.

I did have an idea concerning the fall of the hybrid reactors...

Setting up one Plutonium reactor, and a number of Thorium reactors, so the whole setup is 'Thorium Neutral'. So a whole battery of reactors, which are likely smaller and so more easily stackable. I may have to fiddle with design specs.

Okay, I was working on a crazy idea for a CRCS cooling tower, using quad-uranium cells to simulate a nearly empty cell to show heat distribution.

Instead, I get this. Which supposedly works. Even though it shouldn't.

As the observant of you have likely already noticed, this is a modular design, with a cell in the middle of a square with gold fans in the corners, component heat exchangers above and below, and component heat vents on the sides. Then copypasta this six times.

It shouldn't be cooling 96 H/s according to my calculations, however. Each of the heat exchangers should be pulling in 36 H/s, and the component vents each cooling 4/s. In other words, it should only be cooling 80 H/s, not 96. Where is the other 16 cooling per tic coming from? Have I beaten the C00ld0wn's record, or is there a glitch in the system somewhere?

It's a fairly sub-par stand-alone as is. The efficiency sucks, it's an absolute gold hog, and there are other reactors which produce more EU/t. However I don't see why it makes it to the full cycle in the first place.

Running costs are pretty reasonabe even with NRs as long as you have a big enough setup actually. 8 quads overcomes the energy (via UUM vanilla, or lava centrifuging with quad plutonium cells gregtech) needed to make quads nicely. Coal dust might get problematic eventually though.

The key to looking at the profitability of NR's is doing a cost analysis of how many more EU you get out of them versus how much it costs to replace them.

For example, in my single-chamber DDoS reactor, I've got eight quads and four NR's. Without NR's, I'm looking at 880 EU/t for a total output of 176M EU. With NR's, I'm looking at 960 EU/t for a total of 192M Eu. So I'm looking at 16M Eu difference per cycle, and 80 EU/t.

I don't have my sheets on hand to tell me how many NR's it takes per full cycle, but basically if it costs you more than 16M EU to make one, then it probably wouldn't be economical. However, as I have stated before, the NR's are primarily there to equalize the thermal output to an even level and ensure that all cooling cells are treated equally.

Here's your main problem...

You're talking about building fairly expensive components, then destroying them. This results in a significant cost per cycle. It might hit a break-even point, or it might not, but you aren't going to see a lot of EU out of it as a net result, which is kind of the point of the system.

Wheras a CRCS system might have an initial investment cost, its actual running and maintenance costs are fairly low, unless you start using NR's. Since you are recycling the coolant cells, you don't experience the massive losses inherent in a system you are describing.

When I did the math, I was so utterly disappointed that I just threw up my hands and tried something else. I was never able to hit a break-even point, but I hadn't considered GregTech as an option to make materials with, and it was running fairly different back then anyways. I was looking at straight IC2 and MassFab EU costs.

If you want discussion you should try posting your breeder design on the New [Official] Reactors design thread, you may now post multimod designs there.

No, that is exactly what you should *NOT* do. That is for posting new designs that are an improvement over currently held designs. Discussions belong in their own threads. He did a good job with this.

The rest of the nuclear engineering section has now fallen into a state of disrepair as only unconventional reactor designs are discussed here...

When you have already optimized conventional reactor designs, the only thing left TO discuss are unconventional reactor designs.

Plus, your design is not forwards-compatible, as in 1.5 (or the beta versions of GT for 1.4.7) thorium cells will produce less pulses.

Quite true that thorium is going to produce fewer pulses. Still don't know the details on how precisely. However, you're likely right that this reactor will be less effective after 1.5.

Yea, I was thinking about CRCS systems with a minimum 100 micro-cycle time, which should be plenty.

I did have an idea for a 'buffer' though, using railcraft.

Basically, completely cool cells are immediately removed from a cooling tower and put in a chest attached to a Sorting Machine attached to the reactor. The filter will pull used cells out and put them in the cart loader to be sent to the cooling towers. That way, as spent cells are pulled out, clean cells are pushed in. Should work fairly well, in theory. I'll have to test it, though.