Posts by Two

Research already exists.

First you need to research the existence of rubber, copper and tin. Then you need to research the Forge Hammer and how to fold iron ingots using said hammer. Then you need to research the circuit, machine block and generator by assembling the correct items in the correct order. Then you need to research EU and how it reacts given certain input and output strength. And so on...

The problem about all this is, that almost all people use a cheat-tool (aka NEI/Wiki) to look up the research instead of actually doing it. The reason is simple: people are too lazy to actually do research, they want to play Minecraft, not a guessing game. Now forcing them to do research will only do one thing: annoy all those people.

I guess the reason is because it may conflict with other mods that use iron ingots - that's why it used Refined Iron prior.

That's a good point. This could be solved however, by adding one mod specific item to all basic recipes like the machine block. For example if the recipe would include a circuit in the center (and 8 iron around) this could never conflict with any other mod, as the circuit is unique to IC2. In addition this would make a lot more sense and explain why this is a machine block. In the end all recipe even now do use a circuit, just one step later, so resource-wise it is the same.

I absolutely like the direction the experimental version is going to. The current IC2 basically gives you tons of resources within the first few hours of gameplay, and then you sit there with tons of ingots and have nothing else to do. Taking things a little slower and especially not doing the double-ore thing is definitely a good thing imo.

The current recipes are... strange. I completely agree that having to use a hammer to ... fold? the ingot, then again feels strange and is tedious, especially since the hammer will break every now and then. My personal rule for mod design is: if it doesn't add fun to the game, don't do it. And I don't see the hammer thing being entertaining in any way. Why can't I just make the machine out of iron ingots? Resource-wise it's the same, just less annoying.

It's out but not yet usable. There are many bugs in the dev system and many people have problems compiling/re-obfuscating. I can't recommend it at this time.

If you use compact solars and spawn the ultimate version of them, they will produce 512 EU/t per block. Line up a few of them chained to several buffer-MFSE and you have a virtually unlimited power source.

And so is the latest IC2 version. ;)
    And to my knowledge the bug has still not been fixed: as soon as the chunk with the Matron is unloaded and then loaded again, all crops in that area will be fertilized again, draining huge amounts on input.

The best way to avoid a jammed filter situation is to have a restriction tube leading to a normal chest for every filter as the "if it doesn't match anywhere else" safety loop-hole. If constructed the right way, you can limit that to only one chest in most systems.

Speaking of loops... someone on the server I was playing at had this great idea to auto-fill his furnaces with coal from a chest that was emptied by a filter, but when he realized that the filter blocked as soon as there was no more furnace with room, he looped the tube back into the chest, causing the coal to go round and round. The resulting lag effectively put the server into an unplayable state till we found that machine and deactivated it.

It is very easy to bring a server to its knees with RedPower, thats why you should always try to avoid that.

The Redstone Pnematic tubes are for nothing, I originally had a timer hooked up to them with filters pulling out of the machines. (But that didn't work) And what is wrong with using redstone dust? It's just to make sure that the timer pulses the pnematic tube. And it was a 2s timer btw. Do restriction tubes cause more lag than just having nothing? I thought of using the distance thing but just to make sure I used restriction tubes. The void pipe/hopper thing never worked, I have a filter outputting into obsidian pipe then void pipe now. I thought lava caused lag... guess not. And i'll probably put relays on the front of my machines, I want to be able to shove as many items in the ender chest as I want at a time and have them all get processed.

Redstone dust is slower in calculation and causes some overhead if used together with RedPower. With a single block the effect won't be noticeable, but if you build bigger machines and combine both, it will get significant at some point.

What did not work with your filter setup? As this is usually the standard way of pulling things out of machines. The placement of the filter matters though, for example with Macerators you need to place them in front of the machine to pull out the dust. Another idea is to use mangers to pull out the items from the chests (and machines as well if you have the resources to build enough managers). A manager (with no item inside) will automatically empty everything from the inventory it is attached to. This is a lag-free and very fast way to pull items out of an inventory.

Restriction tubes do not cause lag, they are just a logic item, but as far as I can tell from your pictures they do not help on the setup. You should consider a setup of tubes, filters and restriction tubes as a set of: "if it matches filter A -> filter A, else if it matches filter B -> filter B, ..., else if nothing matches -> restriction tube." An item will always take the shortest, possible path and restriction tubes act like they are 1000 blocks long. It is a bit like programming, just with tubes. ;)

Lava does not cause lag by its own, it just causes lag if it flows, but this is the standard Minecraft block-update lag that you get with everything else that changes the world as well. As items get instantly destroyed if they are thrown into lava, this will cause no lag at all. Just be carefull to not burn down your house... ;)

You should not put a relay in front of every machine, as again an item always takes the shortest, possible path. So if you have 4 furnaces each one with its own relay, the items would all go to the first relay, keeping the first furnace busy, while the others will be idle. That is why the relay has to be able to access all input slots of all furnaces (in this example) at the same time, so it distributes the items between them.

I recommend NOT using RedPower at all until all its bugs have been fixed. Crashed trying to open a timer. Additionally, relays cause unnecessary lag at the moment.

Sadly true, but the bug-fix release date is completely random and could be tomorrow or next year, completely dependent on Eloraams mood. However you can use RP if you watch a few things, but if you don't your server will lag horribly from even a single setup. And if you try to feed animals using a deployer it will just simply crash the server on the last wheat. ;)

4 Rules of Redpower machines:
    1. Do not use Redstone-Dust ever. (You are using it)
    2. Do not use Red-Pipes unless there is no alternative. (You are using them)
    3. Do not use uninsulated cable unless you absolutely have to. (Don't think you use cables at all)
    4. Never set a timer below 1 second and try to avoid hooking too many machines to one timer. (Can't tell the timer setting from the images, but you have your entire setup hooked to a single timer, which will cause micro-lags every time it ticks)

Since you are violating the top two rules, your machine will very likely cause lag. In addition your choice of components is rather bad:
    - If there is no good reason to, never use an ejector, use the relay instead. Relays will automatically forward items without having to supply a redstone signal first, which reduces lag.
    - Your placement of the restriction tubes doesn't seem to make any sense. They are supposed to be an alternative path if no other is available, yet there is one in the main path from the ender chests towards the processing machines and another one on the path to what I assume is the path to your storage room. As the line to the storage room is already much longer than the line to your void pipes, items would go to the void pipes first anyway.
    - There is no need for void pipes at all (as well as the hopper), just place a filter with its output facing a lava source block and you have your "void pipe".
    - You should place a relay between the input filter of each machine and the machine to buffer huge amounts of input.

That reminds me of Thaumcraft, which had this hammer of smashing in the old version 2. With enough power it erased a 3x3 block instantly, so you could run while digging a huge tunnle. That tool however broke pretty fast, but for the shot time it was working it was an amazing amount of blocks you could mine. ;)

Elo is the best coder in this universe, if you disagree you are wrong, a hater and will burn in hell just for thinking it.
    That is why she does not share her code with anyone, as no one can even get close to her level of perfection.

To give you an example: she once wrote an ore dictionary in only a week, where you can map ore names to objects! Even trying to explain the complexity behind such an ingenious algorithm would blow most coder's minds instantly!

I've gone through GT, as far as i'm aware, outside of recepie changes, there isn't any auto mining items. can somone correct me if im wrong.

The automining is not in GT but in IC2 itself. Or in the case of this discussion: in RedPower, which is not related to IC at all but often combined.

Sadly most mods do not actually give you something to do with these resources, so usually you find yourself after a few hours or days with so many resources that you could just switch to creative mode but nothing to do with them anymore. GT makes everything a lot more expensive, but in the end all that it archives is to stretch the time until you sit with too many resources from days to maybe weeks. But then you still have nothing you can actually do with them, at least nothing offered by the mods.