Posts by Frantic Fanatic

What rights? You guys are aware those little "copyrights" people paste at the bottom of their posts aren't legally binding correct? Technically someone could up and rip IC2 and repost it somewhere else under a slightly different name and Al couldn't do anything about it except kindly request it be taken down. We don't own squat about our mods, artwork gets stolen daily, code gets stolen constantly, there is no protection for modders.

Basically all this guy did was make a mod for a mod, its no different than us including modified Notch classes in our mod. He included modified RP classes in his mod. We don't have Notch's express permission to release his code yet we do anyway everyday? Its hypocritical to think that this guy did anything different than Elo has done a thousand times.

I'm just afraid this is sounding like FlowerChild all over again.

Notch has expressed on Twitter that he doesn't mind people making mods so long as the program in it's entirety is not distributed, or that there is any attempt to circumvent the 'piracy protection' that Minecraft has.

Additionally, As I see it, the problem with enforcing copyrights in this case has more to do with the fact there are no monetary damages able to be given out in a court of law, due to the fact that mod authors are releasing their software without charge.

Do you have an argument that consists of something more then 'In for a penny, in for a pound?'

(Edit: Stop ninjaing me, Headhunter! :p But you bring up a good point. Copyright law, at least in the US, is 'Enforce it, or lose it.' That is why companies have to be so agressive when it comes to IP.)

Obviously I am not an expert psychologist, But I do see Eloraam's stance on the issue. I will try to explain:

An RP to IC2 conversion mod is released, which, in this alternate universe, Eloraam does not do anything about. People use the mod. Huzzah! Everyone is happy!

Eloraam finally gets to work building a RP2 to IC2 conversion and intigrating it into Redpower. Huzzah! Except..... now there's a problem.

There is no longer a blank slate to work with. Someone already presented their idea in the form of a mod, which, consciously or unconsciously, has pre-colored people's expectations. Now one of two things will happen:

A: Eloraam's system is remarkably similar to this subject mod. Sunnova cheese biscuit! Miss Eloraam stole immibis's work without credit!

B: Eloraam's system is radically different to the subject mod. People who have already used the mod cry foul because they were used to converting energy one way, and now there's a radically different way of using it.

Although these are not huge problems, if one already has plans for the energy systems, why put people through that annoyance, or go through the annoyance yourself? Especially since these are the same people who keep forgetting what those 'alpha' and 'beta' tags mean.

Be honest with yourselves... would you like to see a mod converting Blu<>EU ? Eloraams stance on her license aside, do you see anything wrong with someone taking the long way? ie: doing it without the aid of an official RP2 API? Aside from Eloraam objecting, do YOU see anything wrong with this? Do YOU really think that the future direction of RedPower2 development would have been influenced by this submod.

Honestly... do you think this would have done harm?

I would be in jail if I tried to do everything I would 'like' to do in life.

I won't elaborate.

(Edit: I got ninja'd by Mr. Hunter, so none of my post has any of his context in it.)

Fanfics aren't what we are talking about. There's a pretty broad area of "fair use", but distributing an unauthorized add-on for software falls far outside that area. Posting an add-on on a forum like this falls into the definition of "publication and distribution" - especially since it was hosted for public download.

The fanfic remark was made in jest. As you can see from the rest of my post, I am on your side.

(/edit: This was written before I saw HeadHunters' post above, I'm tired but just wanted to say it was written and posted without taking his into account, before I go on to bed.)

Right, And as I've been trying to point out... Eloraam has proven herself to be the type of person that has an extremely one-sided view of cooperation. She has implemented her own version of central concepts of other mods, but is completely unwilling to allow someone else to even look at her code to see how it works.

Silence will never change anything. Change needs a voice, even if it starts with only one.

That is very inspirational. But it is also off-topic. Forge is not Red Power 2.

Good night, sirs.

Wow, people are still arguing about this?

There is a publicly available API for Industrial Craft 2. People can make addons using this without having to decompile IC2.

There is a publicly available API for Build Craft. People can make addons using this without having to decompile BC.

There is no API for Red Power 2. One would have to decompile Red Power 2. Miss Eloraam does not wish for her mod to be decompiled.

Saying there should be a RP2 == IC2 crossover mod just because there are several IC2 == BC crossover mods is apples and oranges.

You can argue whether it is 'fair play' whether Eloraam has a right to ask that her code not be reverse engineered since everyone else up on the chain did not mind, but in the end, she can take her ball and go home.

(Please correct me if you find a RP2 API somewhere.)

Try writing a book based on someone else's characters and see how quickly they shut you down.

www.fanfiction.net :whistling:

]How possible would it be to make a toolbox that would instantly change equiped armor? Or heck equipping a Lappack by rightclicking with it for example? I always wanted something like that.

I am 110% in favor of this. Right-clicking items to equip them should be in vanilla Minecraft.

Edit: In regards to having additional space, I haven't really found any sort of 'backpack' style mod that I like. Each one I've seen requires a right-click while on the hotbar to open, causing difficulty when trying to search for one specific item while under fire. In addition, one has to consider that the more inventory space they have, the more one can lose after a lava swim.

Yeah to bad the AI is dumb in this game and not challenging. It would been cool but I guess it will be more directed at pure pvp.

Allegedly smarter AI will become a feature in later versions of Vanilla. In addition, several mods do make enemies smarter, or add more (The Invasion mod comes to mind). The main problem, of course, would be throttling the difficulty until one can tech up.

Three words:
    Pretty fucking Expensive

A rebreather that you could make using the canning machine (The empty rebreather + Oxigen Cell) or something would be nice for the poor people asking for it.

Canned Air, stacks to 64.
    On right-click use: Replenish your Oxygen Bar
    'Fresh from Druidia!'
    (Only partially kidding)

Electrolyzing water in RL breaks it down into Hydrogen and Oxygen, so... canning an Electrolyzed Water Cell? Probably a rather expensive solution, unless you get a LOT of canned oxygen.

Mod Authors will provide API hooks in their code if they wish for their various systems to be integrated into other mods. I can only assume that Eloraam has not provided these hooks because Blutricity as a system is very much Alpha, and the entire system could change overnight, which would require a rewrite of any theoretical API hooks and break any conversion mods anyways.

I can only assume motive, obviously, but I would certainly not want to deal with complaints that would arise from an update breaking a Blutricity conversion mod, when the system is Alpha to begin with.

Edit: Whoops, late to the party. My point still stands, although I do not need to assume any more. I think the main point to take home from this lesson is that doing things without permission is bad. *runs off to write a letter*

This will be the Valuable Ores config I will be planning to use.

Code
    valuableOres=14:3, 15:4, 16:1, 21:3, 56:5, 73:3, 135:1, 135-1:5, 135-2:3, 135-3:4, 135-4:3, 135-5:3, 135-6:2, 135-7:2, 140:4, 140-1:4, 140-2:4, 140-3:4, 140-4:2, 140-5:2, 140-6:4, 140-7:3, 247:4, 248:2, 249:2

For those who are keeping score, Block 140 is where Red Power stores its ores, and Block 135 is the default location for the Nether Ores mod, provided by Power Crystals. I have not tested this config yet, but it *should* work.

From my impression, at least, the reason why cells are non-reusable is because there is no elegant solution to handle turning a stack of full cells into a stack of empty cells when a machine uses them. You either A: Eject the empty cells which causes item lag, B: Require a chest next to the machine in question, or C: Add a dedicated empty cell slot to each machine that accepts cells for input, which in turn clobbers the standard furnace interface (In terms for mods like BuildCraft, Magic Chest, ect...)

I am not saying this is the only reason, but it is a fairly major one.

Edit: Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe if an item is marked as a container item (Meaning, among other things, it returns an empty copy of itself when used for crafting) It cannot also be made stackable.

-Added mobile auto-miner. This handy (and quite expensive) device mines until it runs out of pipe or hits an obstacle, then withdraws its pipe and rockets to a new position nine squares away. It'll repeat this process until its inventory fills up or the Lapotrons run out. The autominer's jumps take it outward from its original position in a spiral pattern, guaranteeing it will harvest all ore in the area.

I am very interested in seeing your implementation on this feature, as I have many questions that occur as I read your statement. However, I am content to wait until you release an update to see if they have been answered. No need to rush at this stage of the development.