Posts by TheBard

dukat: The new heating cells will heat up reactor components next to them. (For example: Coolant cells, heat switches and vents.)

The heating cell will heat the component near it to a maximum of Heatcellstack * 1000. For example: Stack 20 heat cells and it will heat the components to 20k.

But how do you transfer that heat into the hull? Isn't it the hull temperature that matters for breeding? Having a 30k Cooling Cell with 20k heat in it won't do anything for breeding because the hull heat could still be 0 right?

I think you have to remember that the components get processed starting in the upper left to right, then the next line down, left to right.

In your Mark I-EA-4, since it's the easiest to diagnose/explain:
    In a reactor that adds 160 heat to the hull, the first overclocked vent will remove 36 heat from the hull, the next one will remove 36 heat from the hull and so on... after the 4th overclocked vent there is only 16 heat left in the hull. The 5th one removes that 16 heat. The 6th one has no heat to pull from the hull. BUT: In your design you also have advanced heat exchangers. They're going to remove 8 heat from the hull on their own, again in order from left to right, line by line. So actually by the time you get to line 5 column 3, the 5th overclocked heat vent... there is 0 heat left in the hull because prior to it you have 4 overclocked heat vents (remove 36 each * 4 = 144) and 2 advanced heat exchangers (remove 8 each * 2 = 16). So the only cooling that the 5th and 6th overclocked heat vents do is from whatever heat happens to get transferred into them by that last advanced heat exchanger.

So that could be why you're seeing strange "bugs".

Well i get that, but how do you refill it aka how do i put the lapis into the thing? (Im trying to create a fully cooled 3000+EU/t reactor)

Place the condensator into a crafting window with lapis, or redstone if it's the redstone version.
    It has to first be damaged in order for you to be able to "repair" it.

What do you think of making the thermal monitors invert their redstone output?
    When the reactor temp is above the set threshold, it emits a redstone current.
    However with the new way that reactors work, requiring a redstone current to run, it seems like the thermal monitor should STOP sending a redstone current when the temperature reached the set threshold.

The alternative would be to build an inverter between the thermal monitor and the reactor, which takes up some extra blocks of space if you only have IC2 and Nuclear Control addons installed. Sure it can be done, but it takes up more room, and it would be really handy if the thermal monitors at least had the option to invert automatically.

hey cpw, why does if you use a 5x5 field of HV on a single MFSU and glas fibre, doesn't blow up the MFSU and the cable the packet each tick is bigger then 512 EU(12800 EU/t), is that wanted or am i just interpret something wrong.. becouse limits for mfsu accepting packets is 512 and not larger then HV... thats a little confusing me right now.. Even if the packets are split up for ever HV pannel, the MFSU + Cables should break/blow up becouse you deliver more then 512eu through the cable per tick...

that doesn't make sense, it would be like transfering HV through double isolated gold wire.

I believe cable limits are based upon the maximum packet size. Each HV Array outputs one packet of 512EU. So in a 5x5 array of HV Arrays, the glass fibre is carrying 25 packets of 512EU in size. The maximum packet size is still only 512EU, which glass fibre is capable of carrying.

You can see this same effect by placing a row of normal solar panels along a stretch of tin cable. Since each solar panel only outputs 1EU, you could line up 10 solar panels on each side of a length of 10 tin cable and the cable would not blow up. The reason being the same as above, you're only transmitting a packet size of 1EU. If there are 10 solar panels, there would be 10 packets of 1EU... but still the maximum packet size is still 1EU.

Using mffs_rev5_for_1.2.5-bukkit.zip and I was trying out the Reactor Server/Client, I stuck a Client on the side of a reactor chamber, and my server.log got this error. It basically corrupted my world I think (just a test world).

Code
    2012-07-23 18:52:12 [SEVERE] Unexpected exception
    java.lang.ClassCastException: mffs.TileEntityReaktorMonitorClient cannot be cast to mffs.TileEntityPassivUpgrade
    	at mffs.TileEntityReaktorField.checkupgrades(TileEntityReaktorField.java:379)
    	at mffs.TileEntityProjektor.q_(TileEntityProjektor.java:326)
    	at net.minecraft.server.World.tickEntities(World.java:1190)
    	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:569)
    	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:467)
    	at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:492)

Edit:
    Also, if I should die and respawn outside the force field... how do you get back inside? I found a sort of cheating way inside... the forcefield cube went through a tree. I got on top of the tree and dug down really fast through the leaves, and I was able to drop down inside of the forcefield before it filled in the blocks where the leaves used to be. So I was able to get back in that time... but not sure how you're supposed to do it in the future.

Edit2:
    I'd also add that the force field generator was being powered by some solar arrays, so I don't think I could "wait it out" until the shield failed for me to get back inside. It looks like the other version has some kind of security gates or something? Is that somewhere in this edition? This is kind of like locking your keys inside of your car. I can't figure out how to get back inside.