Posts by huldu

With BC you have quarries, they would supply you with an endless stream of "junk". With RP2 you have cobblestone generators and so forth. EE, well I'll leave it at that.

<edit> Either one of those mods could give you a nice supply of "junk". However without those mods it seems a lot harder, especially if you're playing "fair".

I can barely imagine how playing minecraft *without* IC2 would be. It has been such a long time... Everything I do from the start is based of IC2. It just feels natural.

Find the rubber tree. Get the macerator up and running asap. More power. Can never have too much power!

I wish we could work with "oil" in IC2. That part of BC I really enjoy, the hunt for oil and refining it to fuel.

Don't see how you can get too much copper, a lot of it goes into making solar panels, at least for me. Tin however is something I barely even use. Since I'm not playing on any servers I can just sleep past the night. If that wouldn't be possible I'd start working with lava/nuclear reactors, the latter I've started to look into.

I really like the pump in RP2, it's by far the most efficient pump out of all the mods(IC2, BC). It just seems to pump at a greater distance than they do? Tho I'm curious if you don't use the nether for lava, how would you "transport" the lava cells? I'd guess ender chests would be involved?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but lets say you would put down a LONG piece of railroad from your "base" to a lava source. Thanks to chunks being unloaded when you're not near the cart traveling on the rail will just magically stop once it reaches an unloaded chunk?

Hehe, maybe you're using a movable base on frames?

Royal pain is putting it lightly. Can you "unofficially" put the modified transformers fix somewhere to be downloaded? :(

<edit> I got stuck in the decompile of buildcraft API. You probably need 1.2.5 or something like that and they're running 1.3.2 right now. Honestly I have no idea how to even get the files of github to do it.
    <edit2> It says it needs ModLoader as well or is that included in forge nowadays?

The problem is the mod itself - it's hardcoded to only accept one version of IC2 and Buildcraft. If you decompile it and remove that hardcoded check, the crafting works fine (HV wooden pipes can't be crafted, but they don't seem to work either, so no big loss).

I see what you mean with the hardcore check. I have no idea how to recompile, let alone decompile the mod to fix it tho but I do see the code with the version check.

The only interesting machine in that mod that I'd use would be the oil/fuel to EU. That would be sweet.

But seriously I think he said that his machine that runs a quarry at full speed(9 MJ) used *64* EU. That's crazy. Correct me if I'm wrong here but Forestry engine uses 35~ EU to run a quarry at full speed. Transformers mod used somewhere along 25 EU to run a quarry at full speed if I recall. I really miss that mod... shame it doesn't work at all in .103.

I like RP2 but it ugly and takes a while to set up properly and requires a lot of stuff on the side to work. The simplicity of logistic pipes I like. Also not a big fan of the ender pearl requirement in some/one(?) recipes for RP2. If it weren't for the ender pearls I'd probably make more RP2 sorting system because they can be fun to set up.

I understand what you guys mean but, since you're already using "other" mods, you're probably using EE as well and can "easily" either make a condenser or use the p.stone to randomly summon the required mobs? Personally I dislike ender pearls since they're used by "other" mods and it's an annoying and illogical resource since it's "only" obtainable through a certain type of monster. RP2 retrievers, portal guns, wireless redstone etc comes to mind. But not sure why you would ask for IC2 for "help" since nothing even uses the pearls. Would make far more sense asking RP2 or various mods for help in that regard. I'm just being honest.

With "automation" I mean machines like the miner, pump, crop-matron etc. They require no user input once set up. Not sure I see the difference between BC and IC2 in this regard?

<edit> But yes, I prefer to think of IC2 as something else, beside automation, I love the machines(and now also love the farming) and I can't imagine playing minecraft without IC2, hence I'm still playing 1.2.5. It's the top mod for me. I barely even use BC since I don't like how the fuel, oil etc works and that the machines aren't compatible across the mods, which makes it tedious and annoying to use "cross-over" mods, because they're just awful and clutter up the world with even more machines.

Copper is quite "rare" at the levels I generally dig at which is 11-12. Apparently the hot spot for diamonds. Tin however is something I get a lot of when manually mining. Not a huge fan of automated mining, just feels so cheesy having machines play the game for you. Nothing like putting some manual labor into getting the resources, it actually feels like you're accomplishing something... in the game, that is. But everyone has their own way of playing the game and there is nothing wrong with that!

Backpacks from forestry and the alchemy bag from EE. It would seem like a waste of their time honestly. They're all big mods and play pretty well together and that probably won't change any time soon. The only annoying thing about all the bigger mods is that they don't support power from each others, would be nice if they could add some support for that. Then again there are "plenty" of mods that does it but it's quite a bit of overkill with all the extra machines to convert power. Keeping my eyes on thermal expansion if they ever get that done, then again that won't be much different from the choices we already have.

I don't know about adding any "difficulty" to the game if the machines were to break. What I mean is that IC2, BC, RP2 etc are all about automation so in the "long" run it would only be a slight nuisance. However if you're not using miners, quarries, frames and you're manually mining then it would be a BIG hit losing machines like that. Just think of how annoying the wrench can be if it fails to dismantle a machine at early stages in the game.