Posts by AkhkharuXul

I built my first MSFU (IC2 only; no other mods) and then decided to try the Electrolyzer. Put the water cells in and the Electrolyzer is converting them to Electrolyzed Water Cells. The Wiki says the EWC's hold 13500 EU each so a stack of 64 = 864,000. That really isn't a huge amount. Why wouldn't I just use 1 Lapotron Crystal instead? Diamonds are hard to come by but not that hard. Just wondering if I am missing something important. Thanks.

Electrolyzers are the poor man's energy storage. Since they can connect to MFEs as well as MFSUs. Basically if you already have a MSFU you probably won't need them. :) They're more to increase the energy storage of a MFE. Also you need to charge/discharge energy/lapotron crystals manually, whereas Electrolyzers will store energy when it's not being used, then send it when it needs it. [But still basically just used to increase the storage on a MFE (if anyone uses them Electrolyzers at all that is)]

With the new item detector block the previous safety mechanisms will prolly get obsolete but i gotta make one first :)

How you get so many buckets lol? Failed hacks?

No the buckets is a bug with redpower. I think it's when items a filter sends get bounced back, but the container it's pulling from is full. Then it starts doubling them I think cos it tries to pull a whole stack, but that would be bounced, so gets duped.... it only takes a few seconds to get out of hand and have an extreme amount of duped items. [not sure if it still happens with RP2pr3]

@glasstables2 I have MCEdit, but I only use it to fix corrupt saves. I loaded the schematic up with that but it was just pink blocks, guess I'd have to import it to a world to "see what it looks like"?

Edit:

So I loaded up your reactor to test it. When I turned it on, it would cycle through the first 3 buckets on the top row ... is that correct? Went 300 blocks away; came back and... it only had 2 buckets of water in it, the rest were empty, and it seems like the filter extractors weren't able to keep up as it wasn't gaining more filled buckets (I took a screenshot but it's just like full, empty, empty, full, empty, empty buckets on the top row. So I figured if I repeated the 300 blocks away and coming back [to get the chunk to unload / reload again] that it would blow up... and it did. [Is it because I might not have placed it on a single chunk? --- I really dislike MCEdit so I didn't bother going "where are the chunks at" :)]

Edit2: Maybe you gave the wrong schematic, cos this one doesn't have a buffer chest between the filters (that pull from the reactor) and the deployers. [Made sure to place it inside just one chunk this time... exploded after going away from it and coming back] (it's just the two levers, the one next to the timer to start the cooling system, let it fill up, then the lever to turn on the reactor... right?)

I just tested mine which used a design that fit in a 5x5x5 area. I noticed that the output of empty buckets from the reactor does need a chest to help buffer. Was running on a 0.4 sec timer. Working fine, walked away ~300 blocks and came back to a crater. [It was running fine before] So there's definitely something wonky going on there. Also, that schematic isn't helpful but screenshots could be good. I only use 1 transposer with no chests on its line for the overflow, so that -might- be the problem, but I doubt it. [Upon further review of ground zero... Yepp it appears that the deployer got full causing the filter that was sucking buckets to bug out and start duping empty buckets (saw it happen in testing) .. so a chest between the extraction filter and the deployer is required ... and I'll try out the bit with water, that might have been what caused the deployer to break] --- And I should have saved a backup of the world before I decided to see if it would explode. Reactor was definitely all in the same chunk cos I had a funky chunk error on the backside of a volcano. (I'll upload some pics if anyone cares)

But with the update to redpower things should be better, apparently we'll be able to do even splits with tubes (to send items to 2 deployers from 1 source). Along with some other bug fixes so maybe the filter won't pull out filled buckets when it's supposed to be taking empty ones ;)

[I was going to run some tests to see if having a chest in the middle would stop the problem or if it's water not updating when a chunk reloads, and I think it's the problem where I get duped buckets with redpower pr2. Cos I just got a stack of 547,926,016 buckets... and another stack of 853,344,256 .... and a REALLY cool error message when I tried to break the chest they were in... ]

Ok I got the machines module for redpower, but it also requires me to install redpower world. What exactly does redpower world do, because it seems like it changes a lot of things I don't want changed. Also, why is redpower starting to incorperate pipes and some IC^2 metals?

Depolyer, filter, etc are all in the machine module (not sure which other modules they require) redpower world is the one that adds volcanoes, rubber trees and marble (not sure what else).

As far as why with pipes tubes and copper/tin.. well you'd have to take that up with Eloraam. [Basically I think she's trying to make one mod to rule them all lols. She even has solar panels, electric cables and electric furnaces in the next update of redpower (apparently it's just a preview of it in the current version)]

Any guesses on how long before she makes automatic crafting tables and some sort of automatic mining machine? :)

I've seen this one but it doesn't explain very clearly how to bucket cool with redpower2

Currently there's a chunk loading issue that causes the RP2 cooling system to break. But basically how it works is:

You use the deployer, filter and tubes from redpower.
    Filter with empty bucket as it's object to pull empty buckets from the reactor and send them to a deployer (that fills them from an infinite pool of water) filter (with filled buckets as it's filter) to pull full buckets and send them to the reactor. Over-flow systems optional (but highly recommended) which I used just a couple source blocks of water and a transposer for mine.

Too bad I don't have any screenshots of my system when it was running (just ones of the crater it left behind ... and a few from testing the overflow loop which worked like a charm...) System ran flawless til I went far enough away to get the chunk to unload, when the chunk reloaded the system broke and BOOM! Which is odd cos I logged out and in with it running several times and didn't have any issue.

Still wouldn't recommend using this system (unless you don't mind having your reactor explode) and a blast containment chamber is HIGHLY recommended.

When i make a less risky one i will. Current reactor sometimes explodes when you login. Still dont know exactly what causes this but it have be caused by the way minecraft loads the world. I dont know a solution to that but i can make the reactor shutdown when it overheats problem is once cooling system is off it will happen in a matter of seconds so it has to be really fast.

Yepp, that's the problem, these reactors explode. When you have a reactor that can't even run for 30 seconds (with no cooling) from 0 heat... starting at 4k heat and losing cooling = not much time to stop the explosion. I was thinking about using TMI on my world that's already toast, I think if the entire system is on one chunk it might prevent the loading issues.

I assumed the problem is that the filter stops pulling out empties, cos I found tons of filled buckets, but only 11 empties when my reactor went nova. (And it's the only part of the system I didn't test individually)

After reading this post I tried to make one myself, got one going at 625eu/t. I'm using redpower/buildcraft tubing for maximum bucket efficiency. It's running for a while now without fail, pretty cool tbh.

Some screenshots:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/573/reactorlayout.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/20111025000445.png/

Edit: On a quick sidenote if you want to stop and restart the reactor you're going to have to build up to the maximum amount of uranium cells you see in the screenshot else it'll go super critical really fast.

I can't really tell what's going on with your overflow loop (unless that's just the feed tube) cos you're underwater - and the spam. But I made mine using redpower tubes. Works like a charm, Reactor chucks out 3-5 buckets of water per second (or at least I assume it spits them out when the reactor pulses). Though I'm only running @ 650 heat/tick right now, figured it'd be safer to test the system that way before I turn it up to the max.

1 thing I did note, sometimes my filter that pulls the empties from the reactor grabs a filled bucket instead... anyone else have this issue? [I've seen as many as 3 in a row, but it's usually just 1 occasionally]

The first time I saw one come out, I got worried that it was going to cause my deployer to freak out and break the system.

Ed: Rick, how does it bug out when you log in? I haven't seen that happen yet. Though I might not see it, it could just go BOOM! :) I'd like to think I'd have some time though.

Edit - Update: So, I got tired of baby-sitting the reactor. Everything was running flawlessly [had to have been for over 1/2 of a cycle]. I said to myself "the only way there could be a problem is weird chunk unloading/reloading issues [because of the whole "logging in" issue-whatever that is]" ... So I take a 5 minute stroll, come back and my house is missing.... Everything gone... I was able to salvage about 1/2 the stuff (if that) before it despawned. I knew the explosion would be big but I didn't expect it to be that MASSIVE! [You think I would have heard the boom] --- Anyway, that was fun...

Recommendations: Do not use this system, unless you're planning to stay in the general area of your reactor [or shut it down before leaving the zone].

--- Minor issue: Reactor sound still playing even after reactor got replaced by a giant crater.

I think the question becomes, do isotope cells still produce heat even when the reactor is turned off? [According to Talon's App they do...] it makes figuring out what the run/stop timer of a strictly external cooling breeder like this would actually be. I would recommend using the thermometer mod if you're going to setup a reactor like this... cos even just a few additional unaccounted for heat per timer cycle would eventually cause the reactor to do its imitation of a creeper.

Obviously this would be a mark V reactor, also, probably very unsafe. The logic is sound though. Just a few notes:
    1) I don't think the 2 cooling cells will do anything [they only cool themselves down 1 heat/tick, but I think the isotope cells send their 1 heat directly to the hull (I could be wrong though)]
    2) Yes, cooling works even when the reactor is in shutdown mode. To give your reactor the time to cool down before the next pulse heats it up again.
    3) More chambers = safer as it increases the reactors heat threshold before bad things happen (like lava spawning etc)
    4) The redstone circuit is not too hard to setup, you'd basically just need a monostable circuit that always outputs 1 then sends a second long pulse of 0 when the input changes from 0 to 1. [Then you figure out your delay and hook up your clock to that, I would suggest erring on the side of caution :)]

(I think you forgot to save your second design, cos the links both go to the same design for me)

What does CASUC stand for? I know the Single Use Coolants part, but not the CA.

I will make a backup of the world and test the reactor out with as many uranium cells as the ice system will support until it can run a full cycle.

This is because I want to make a whole empire of factories that create most every item in the game, so I will need A LOT of power without having to babysit the reactors. Yes that's right, reactorS. I am planning on building about 2 more of these things in the space below the current one. The room above it will be for power storage and conversion. This is the reason I will have the lockdown switch be capable of locking down all reactors simultaneously, so that the explosion of one won't blow up the others.

CA = Constantly Applied. For the reactors that use buildcraft and/or redpower to add ice/water constantly while the reactor is running.

I won't check the world save, but it sounds like you want a Mark 2 reactor. There's a few good designs lurking in these forums.
    [In particular, a 3.0 efficiency 28? heat/tick reactor. As well as a 2.5 efficiency with ~3 heat/tick.]

When you break construction foam (or the blocks they produce) no item is dropped.

Didn't matter if I used a sprayer or not. Tried a variety of tools to destroy the blocks with.

Not sure if this is intended behavior as the description was that the foam could be easily destroyed and reshaped.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong...

As pictured it already looks like the high side and outputs are proper. If this is SMP there is a good chance some things aren't facing the right way. I would suggest removing the MFS output fiber (so you don't accidently overload something) then electric wrenching your TFs to an improper way, then the proper way for their 3 dot port to receive the higher power. Finally you can do the same thing with the MFS (it will happen in place as long as you don't point it where the dot face really is) and re-apply the glass fiber to let the power out.

The other potential issue is your MFS might be receiving a redstone signal and thus hoarding power until full.

Yepp, definitely looks like all the inputs/outputs go the right way, also make sure none of the transformers (or the MFSU) are receiving redstone power. (the LVT looks suspect cos there's a gold pipe underneath it that's powered (so if there's a torch directly underneath the gold pipe, it could would be sending power. 2 blocks down should be fine.) Also could be an issue with the power-net, I've had that problem a few times, usually breaking and replacing cables will solve that though. [try the fiber, then a gold cable, then one of the copper cables near the LVT. After you've checked for lack of redstone power.]

They wont work on 0.2 if they would work i would have used that :). 0.4 is the fastest you can use without jamming them.

Whatcha mean jam? I've yet to have one jam on me yet (unless you count the two times I wound up duping buckets, but that was really my own fault, apparently ... and they multiplied so quickly :P had a stack of 64000 buckets in a few seconds... :P)

My whole system is running on a 0,4 timer so thats 2.5 buckets per seconds (or 1250 cooling per tick). I also made 2 transposers that catch the buckets that dont fit in the reactor . Runs without much problems atm iam just making it saver incase something happens.

Yepp, was learning redpower2 so I could make one of these reactors (to see if it'll blow up) first thing I made was an overflow loop using 1 transposer to stuff the buckets back into the reactor. Planning on using a 0.2 timer to run the deployer/filters.

Actually as I explored in the Electrical Engineering section with an MFSU to macerator (via stepdown TFs) test; glass fiber cable is lossless up to 39 blocks (I tested 39 and 41 since 1 per 40 is the secondary documentation figure and I had a nice curve to try it out with).

Hrm, did you test glass fiber with a MFE? (so no step-down needed) ... cos it's possible they improved the resistance when the nerfed the # of cables you get from crafting. [idk where you found the secondary documentation from :)]

Guess it depends on how you lay out your water blocks, I tested the deployer first to see what kinda buckets it could produce. Hooked it up to a max-speed timer and let it go to town [so it seemed like it was working perfectly, I didn't see any added gaps in the bucket trail through the tubes], (it seems like it's able to pull water blocks from 2 away (maybe more, 2 was the most I saw before the first block would regen) so I'm pretty sure it can handle it.

.... 4 deployers? :P idk maybe I'm confused, or how many reactors are you running with it? then again 2 to pull out?
    Max speed on a timer is 0.2 seconds, so 5 per second, seems like that'd be enough for anything...

... or have their been explosions in the past? :)

Have you done this one yet? If not I'll throw it out there as the "most" your system can do (unless you wanna get really scary with just 1 space for a bucket :P)

http://test.vendaria.net/index…UXUUUUUXUUUUUXXXXXXXXXXXX
    755 EU/t, 4.31 efficiency [requires 3 water buckets / second for cooling]

Could you turn this into a breeder by replacing certain fuel rods with depleted ones?

Breeders? Sure, here's two breeder designs with this insane water-cooling CASUC method of reactors:
    http://test.vendaria.net/index…UXUIUIUXUIUIUXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://test.vendaria.net/index…IXIUIUIXIUIUIXXXXXXXXXXXX

The latter only takes 1-2 uranium per cycle after the first two cycles [the first two cycles would cost 25 total uranium to run] - obviously there will be tin and coal dust costs to run.. but if you're starved for uranium...)

I was about to setup one of these reactors in my world, but I had to test the capabilities of the deployer/filter first. Created an overflow loop for the filled buckets, so I don't have to play any games with it. So soon I'll probably have one of these up and running just to see if it blows up (but I highly doubt it will :()