What is the Electrolyzer used for?

• I built my first MSFU (IC2 only; no other mods) and then decided to try the Electrolyzer. Put the water cells in and the Electrolyzer is converting them to Electrolyzed Water Cells. The Wiki says the EWC's hold 13500 EU each so a stack of 64 = 864,000. That really isn't a huge amount. Why wouldn't I just use 1 Lapotron Crystal instead? Diamonds are hard to come by but not that hard. Just wondering if I am missing something important. Thanks.

• I built my first MSFU (IC2 only; no other mods) and then decided to try the Electrolyzer. Put the water cells in and the Electrolyzer is converting them to Electrolyzed Water Cells. The Wiki says the EWC's hold 13500 EU each so a stack of 64 = 864,000. That really isn't a huge amount. Why wouldn't I just use 1 Lapotron Crystal instead? Diamonds are hard to come by but not that hard. Just wondering if I am missing something important. Thanks.

Electrolyzers are the poor man's energy storage. Since they can connect to MFEs as well as MFSUs. Basically if you already have a MSFU you probably won't need them. :) They're more to increase the energy storage of a MFE. Also you need to charge/discharge energy/lapotron crystals manually, whereas Electrolyzers will store energy when it's not being used, then send it when it needs it. [But still basically just used to increase the storage on a MFE (if anyone uses them Electrolyzers at all that is)]

• Mostly to expand the capacity of an MFE then. Shame they can't discharge without an MFE/MFSU (I assume; haven't tried it yet) as an Electrolyzer could then be used to power a miner or similar cheaper than using an MFE/MFSU plus crystals.

I guess you could surround an MFE with 4 Electrolyzers full of 64 cells each and end up with a few million EU storage without the cost of an MFSU.

• One thing people seem to miss is that the electrolyzer slows down the upper and lower 20% of your energy store on the MFE/MFSU. Sure it doesn't store all that much (only 864000), but if your system only caps out during the day or or only drops low at night this machine will help (if you depend heavily on solar).

Don't think of it as extra storage but as a buffer, that requires very little room and zero wiring. I use a lot of these near my energy burst points, ie near reactors or my ore processing plant.

• i have 3 of them hooked up to my MFSU, all filled + 3 more stacks of charged cells in chest nearby, just in case i forget to offline the massfab
    Tin cost is near nothing, just 16 pieces per stack, i have doublechest with 1 column filled with ore, and other with column half dust/half ingots anyway

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• it's failsafe, in case my laser dries empty, all other energy is drained by massfab/quarry combo and there's gang of creepers at my door :D
    and also it can be used to cheap & slowly prepare for base moving, pack all the energy and then release it when on new place
    or as an small extension(or massive in case of MFE) of MFSU

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Its a waste of tin just like many cell stuff is.

Tin hasn't been a problem for me yet. I've found my limiting resource to be diamonds, not any of the metals. Mostly I just mine for diamonds and store the other metals as a by product. I think I'm up to 4 stacks of solid blocks of copper (256x9 copper) for example. Tin is probably the lowest stock but I still have a lot of it. I'm just using IC2, not other add-on's such as equivalent exchange that can easily make diamonds. I suppose I could use the metals to build more power generation to power more mass fabricators to create more diamonds, but the game is already getting sluggish on the old laptop I run it on so I'm a bit reluctant to go that route.

• Its not in short supply its just stupid to use stuff for something thats not needed. Using buckets or a diferent way to make power will not consume tin all the time. Except the stacking there is just no advantage of using your tin for cells and you will be better of using them for other stuff.

• They actually make for a good means of hauling a lot of energy to a remote site without investing in lapotrons ormore energy crystals. Personally I have one setup as a rainy day energy supply if I leave the mf on and forget to feed my nuke and my geo. As for the tin...the water cellscan go back and forth infinitely so at least its renewable.

Sorry for shitty typing. Doing this on an android from the airport.