Posts by Shadowclaimer

Hmm, part of me thinks this would be great, as these mods seem to work extremely well together, and I agree the overlap is really annoying.

At the very least, like some have said, I do wish they would if not completely merge their mods, then at least take the basic items that they share and don't have any mod dependent code like the ores, and make a seperate mod plugin. They all need forge at the moment, so requiring another mod that only contains the ores they share and whose behavior is identical would be a good thing, also it should be extremely easy to update the ores alone between versions, so having them as a dependency is not a big issue. Since the only use of the ores is to craft things out of them, and since adding new crafting recipes does not require modifying the code of the items it is made out of. This would be a simple and helpful measure.

Still, I do wish that they were more compatible with each other and you could use the power from one to power machines/engines in the other, and maybe use the piping system to pump lava directly into the geothermal generator, or water into the water generator.

\

The thing is, such a shared mod could prove to be a nice library for other technic-esque mods to work with. If it included basics like "how to use power generation from BC/IC/Whatever" in the code you could easily allow people to use this one library to make it compatible with the other mods entirely, build off their resources, and just in general create a whole genre/base for mods to work with, like a whole Modforge dedicated to industrial mods.

I'd prefer to have canned food be a food restorative rather than a free potion.

Would allow us to construct canning factories that output food (the only real consumable in the game that could drive a possible economy)

I myself see no problem in drastically lowering the effective against them, cause nobody would ever mine a machine with a pickaxe type, when wrenches take them off instantly, and return the actualy machine, and not just a machine block.

Yea point taken, I get my mods mixed sometimes and forget that this mod's machines are taken with a wrench.

I support weaker pickaxes vs Machines.

Okay, I'm just a little upset right now.
    Situation was like this:
    I've been re-building my house, aka re-arranging the walls. While mining the old walls off, I accidently hit my MFSU, which broke. But, i've just klicked it once by accident. I mean, I didn't mean to break it. (Been on a smp server, so stop get tmi and cheat it back, lol.) After testing in SSP, I can confirm that breaking it takes roughly half a second.

My actual point is, what do you have to build a case out of reinforced iron, advanced alloy and even carbon plates when you get something you can break twice as fast as a cobblestone? I mean, for physics sake, a MFSU (and all other (at least) advanced machines) should be mineable as fast as the machines in IC1 with a drill (which means to be way slower). I mean, I didn't need to fear to break machines in IC1 by accident, since it took like 5 seconds to mine them (with a ddrill)... but now.... yah, there goes my MFSU, and I won't get it back "'cause its my own fault".

Sad part is since the Drill is considered a Pickaxe type tool I don't think its really possible without negating/drastically slowing the effectiveness of all Pickaxes vs the machine.

But I do agree, I've done this alot..

Wasn't meaning to take a hostile tone, I'm just annoyed that at the rate she's going with implementation she'll eventually have so much overlapping content with BC and IC2 that we'll be cutting ourselves off from a lot of good content just to keep our servers from having duplicates of ores, tools, machines, and pipes. At least the extra parts are optional for now, but I'm still sad I can't have most of the systems without having to duplicate content.

Designed this thinking about keys and keycards.

This system would use an obsidian pipe next to your door, you'll throw an item in there, it'll take the item and if its the correct one, drop it on a pressure pad inside and open the door, if not it goes on to your sorter/recycler. People will literally be GIVING you items as they try to figure out wtf your key is.

You could set it something obscure (Soulsand), expensive (Diamond Pickaxe), or obscure and expensive (Diamond Hoe) no one will want to guess what your key type is for fear of wasting stuff and giving it to you!

Do I get a cookie?

This could be used to put buckets of water into your reactors to cool them off as well.. some sort of backup cooling system basically.

Awesome!

On that note, does anyone know if the selective wooden pipes mod works on reactors? Could I pull out just Uranium Cells? If so you could have a "kill switch" for your reactor that pulls out all the uranium and puts it in chests, then dumps water buckets into it and pulls the buckets out afterwards.

Keypads are placed on walls similar to Levers and require a 4 digit code to be put into it to open it. The first time you input a code into it the keypad it'll remember that as its code. Whenever that code is input into the keypad in the future, it'll output redstone signal similar to a lever.

The GUI for the keypad would be a typical 10 digit numpad with 4 digits allowed for the code. Clicking any of the numbers puts it in the next available slot.

I was thinking about this while designing my new factory/research lab, there are places I think should be offlimits to other people, would be nice to have doors locked using a Keypad.

Or maybe a keycard system.. Dye colored keycard system..

I would have to agree with using the extractor over the macerator for this suggestion would be better (Except with Bonemeal obviously).

Dyes are useful for painting cables in the current public release. As for the paintable Concrete/Cement (Al's calling it Construction Foam), it sure as hell uses a lot of dyes to paint a small base.... >_>

I was considering using macerating to create concentrated dye from current dyes, toss a red dye in there to get 2 of a powdered version that works the same way.

Then you wouldn't hit issues with, say, Cactus Dyes and Lapus Lazuli output (which are used for various bits in crafting) instead you'd get proper dyes made from them.

Alright, sorry i disappeared for a while there but now im back with the masterplan about this. MinecraftNotch
    I feel like wood can be a very interesting and useful ressource in the future, it could be compressed to higher tier wood plank types so its not too easy to have a lot of it, also this would lead to a more versatile gameplay: mining wouldnt be the only thing you have to do in order to get all the machinery. Doing the same thing all the time gets dull after a while MinecraftChicken , so this would bring new light into IC2 i feel.
    Also i kind of liked Bierhamster's idea of automatic wood gathering, only instead of chopping wood in an area i though of something like a plantation-ish machine that accepts saplings as a ressource, takes energy (,maybe light?, maybe water?) and depending on what u want to program it like, alblaka, it could either just output some wood (or rubberwood, if it was that sort of sapling) or actually grow a tree above itself and then actually harvest the tree. i like the first idea better though.
    On another note, to alblakas criticism against the need of larger amounts of wood: in real world usage, wood is a very useful building component and has good insulating properties, i think there is a lot u can adjust with wood ingredients in recipes for balance and new possibilities for wooden machinery are endless.
    I feel like nobody's gonna read this whole lot of text if i continue so im gonna stop here : D

Playing BC/IC2, I can't see the argument that Wood goes unused for the most part.

I am burning through so much lumber it isn't even funny.. Batboxes are a vital part of my hierarchical power storage and its costing me a lot of wood, pistons cost wood, redstone engines cost wood, structures are built from wood, Logs become Charcoal used to power Stone Engines or such.

I mean there's more than enough uses to warrant something that increases lumber output. I'd love to establish proper Sawmills and such.

There will be indirect and optional interaction between the three tech mods, expspecially IC/BC, but everyone already agreed on not merging this mods for whatever reason. It's easier to keep things running in smaller modules.

Well with RP2 starting to pick up new features that overlap with IC2, are you guys going to actually discuss running off the same basis in some regards? A central core?

As it stands if we run RP2 with IC2 we end up with two kinds of copper, tin, bronze, wrenches, all kinds of stuff.

I fear Elo is biting off quite a bit.

I'm under the impression he's trying to basically recreate BC/IC in his own mod to create one super Technic mod. At least that seems to be his long term goal. Also his computing system seems way overcomplicated, only people with a serious understanding of computing will be able to do the most trivial of tasks using it, Al's seems to be more of a control system that's simplified.

Personally what I'd like to see is not a merger but instead another prerquisite that adds all of the standard ores you can possibly think of, For example: copper, tin, zinc, tungsten, gems, uranium, etc. That way all of the mods can have theirs require it and do whatever they want with the ores so that then you don't have multiples of tin and such. I know Eloraam is working on an ore dictionary thing for Forge but this way just seems easier to me.

This.

I think starting a "technic library" of sorts mod that is used for a basis for IC, BC, and RP (and possibly MF) would be amazing. Could include the general Wrench, various ores, and such. Then other mods could build off that system to implement various bits if they want to be compatible with them in an easier method.

I can honestly say I wish the modding system was more compatible within itself as is, there are things I wish BC/IC would integrate and do well but I realize without a separate mod to link them both its not really doable. And a merger isn't really possible (three authors all claiming their own ownership factors over it, messing and tweaking the code would be a mess).