Posts by Shadowclaimer

I'd like to automate my recycling system to take from my quarry, run trash through my recycling plant, and right now it outputs Scrap Boxes to a chest, would it be possible to implement a machine solely for opening Scrap Boxes? Then I could run pipes to take the items from the machine, sort them, run stuff I don't want back through the machine and keep stuff I do.

Just a concept, I understand ti could 'Easymode' stuff for some people, but to me its just a cool way to automate things that is the basis for BC/IC.

Edit:

Could call it a Processor, have it open Scrap Boxes and place the item you get from it on the right, it wouldn't be able to open the box as long as something else is on the right untaken.

Even then I stand by the fact that Al should just wait for the official Minecraft 1.0 before updating again, would be easier on him most likely than worrying about doing a 1.9 patch just a few weeks before 1.0 is guaranteed to be out.

I actually much prefer the original suggestion actually. Less steps, way more simple.

Macerate Cobble into Gravel, Gravel into Sand.

Compress Gravel into Flint.

I have a buddy who needs a ton of sand for his fortress and I have like 4000 cobblestone and a massive store of solar power that I could use to provide that, not to mention my BC factory/forge could take the cobblestone, macerate it through two macerators, then dump it in a bin.

Stuff like that, I much prefer the first one.

Why don't we have solar panels, instead of losing power every block, just have a maximum range? Cables already work by losing EU only after a set range, and it would be downright pointless to make them lose power so fast. I would rather keep my current solar bank, as it would render it complete trash, because it would drop the production to basically nil. I LOVE the idea, but I just don't want to lose efficiency every panel.

I was under the impression cables lost EU immediately per cable, not at any given range.

Actually, latter part is what i had intended. Placing a kernel permits to name it. All other parts would probably be labeled by numbers.
    Eventually i will even manage the libary to be capable of storing "alias"'s... thus you could name "RedstoneCore3" into "ReactorControl" or stuff.

You disregarded my advice! xD

But in any way, that's awesome, it means control rooms WILL be possible. I could construct an entire field of stuff with a control tower and then order it from there. That kind of stuff is what has me intrigued. (That and the fact that what you don't do, I'm sure some modders will)

So many possibilities.. *raises hands towards the sky*

TBH
    (I admire your ideas no hating on you)
    I think that you should simply use the redpower mod By Eloramm Which has a great many of these "operators" and various other components used in redstone circuitry
    and since it is a forge mod the are no incompatibilities with IC2 (Eloramm is one of the founders of MC forge)
    Redpower link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/…ower-logic-redstone-pipe/

TL;DR : it has been done already and is fully compatible with IC2 so no point reinventing the wheel

*sighs* I've never liked installing other mods, was just a suggestion for IC^2, but I figure I'm going to get this answer over and over again anyway.

So guess Redpower it is.

This is a simple concept that has profound results and would expand base Minecraft as well as IC. Saving RS coders tons of room, and allowing us more complicated machinations and creations. Its a simple mainstay of computer coding languages and a base component for any complicated coding, it is the building blocks (ha accidental pun) of modern computing.

The Operator.

For those less computer savvy, an Operator is one of three words used in coding conditions (some languages have dozens of possible operators, we're going to settle for these). The most common operators are AND, OR, or XOR (I prefer to pronounce it ZOAR to the hatred of my colleagues). These Operators are simple in nature but in their simplicity allow the modern computers we use today in all their functions and existences.

In Minecraft these operators are constructed in Redstone using a variety of maddening inverters and a large array of blocks in an area, this creates large complex redstone arrays that take up way too much room for a basic operator.

So my suggestion is this.

An Operator Block or Blocks.

:Refined Iron::Refined Iron::Refined Iron:
    :Copper Dust: :Electronic Circuit::Copper Dust:
    :Refined Iron::Copper Dust::Refined Iron:
    (Pretend the Copper Dust is Redstone)

The Operator Block would have two sides that accept Redstone Inputs and a Front that Outputs. Either through a GUI or separate crafting (based on whether we have one or three blocks), the Operator Block would output power if the chosen operator is true.

AND - If both sides of the block receive Redstone Power, it will output RS Power in front.
    OR - If either side accepts RS Power, it will output in front.
    XOR - If neither side is active, it will output.

=

:Cable::Electronic Circuit: :Copper Dust:

The other suggestion is a Pulser Block, Pulser Blocks would require electricity to work and in their GUI would allow you to tweak their set Pulse period. Every time this pulse period passes in milliseconds it will output RS temporarily. Saving room from those monstrous Pulser circuits some of us create using repeaters and such.

=

Both these concepts drastically reduce the size of redstone circuits and make the existence of redstone creations more manageable. In IC this will allow proper setup of control schemes at bases (IE: Is your Mining Node on? Disable power to your Forge to try to prevent consuming all your power) and in general makes the mod more desirable to the general Minecraft community.

What'll be awesome is if this allows us to control our entire operations from a single console, therefor using a command to activate power to a completely separate place off site, or such. Allowing us to create "control rooms" essentially. Especially if proper querying is doable with various devices (power supply queries, chest inventories, etc.) its all plausible but doubtful, but damn wouldn't it be cool if.

To what regard this will allow features and such is completely unknown at the time, but I get the feeling once this is done some IC2 modders will have a blast messing with it doing what Al decides not to. I do agree, Al is highly underestimating his own design potentials here, even if he only does what the blog post says as a fraction, it'll be infinitely more expansive than what Redstone allows.

I understand its a very simple system, but given us players, we're renowned for taking simple and creating amazing things with it. Look at what we've done with redstone!

[Note] Al don't read past this point, this is me rambling in my own head with concepts. I figure most isn't possible but the possibilities (if they are even that) are so awesome.

=

Also given that we can put text in GUIs (something I never knew was doable), wouldn't it be possible then to name Kernels and call them when you want them as long as they're connected to your system? Couldn't you save your databanks by name and save scripts by name and call them appropriately as well? I must look at my own source and tinker around a bit with this concept..

Well the original issue with the radiation was CPU usage, because ti was a "every block within x is damaging".

The suggsetion of turning Dirt into Radioactive Dirt, Stone into Radioactive Stone, etc. each block having a minor green glow (which isn't that hard to do in the code) isn't a bad idea at all. Whether the blocks would damage you and how kinda is a little difficult to code.

This is a great idea. Using 1/4-block thick solar panels would be marvelous. That alone would be a nice improvement to the existing system. Having them not able to output power except to another panel or to the solar generator would be great since it would eliminate the need for cables.

Would your power drain per block idea cause too much CPU/server strain? After all, it has to calculate a number for every connection between two panels. It seems like it would be the same as if all the panels were cables and you had all those intersections. If it turns out to not be a problem then that's fine, but if it is, then maybe something like this would work as an alternative: Instead of losing energy for every block of distance, you could make each panel produce only a fraction of 1 EU. Since it rounds down, you would have to have enough panels to reach a whole number before it would do anything. Then set a maximum number of panels per generator.

So, if I use 0.25 EU per panel as an example, then you'd need at least four panels before the generator would do anything. If we place a maximum of 20 panels per generator, then our generator would cap out at exactly 5 EU of output. It would more or less accomplish the same thing while requiring only one CPU/server calculation per tick: 0.25 * X (where X is the number of panels).

I like you.

If the CPU usage is a problem yes, I like that system and we could do it. I'd like to see a few more than 20 panels per generator but the point is still taken =)