[Question] Mass Fabs and Teleporters

• Official Post

Hey guys,

Wanted to ask 2 questions:

1) How much energy does a Mass Fab need, and can I hook it up to HV current (MFSU) directly?

2) Teleporters. There was talk about a teleporter using energy relative to its distance traveled, is that how it works? Any ideas on what kind of energy we're talkin about? Also, do they work on MV or HV?

Thanks!

• The Mass Fabricator uses 512EU/s which is HV. You can plug in a lower current if you want and it will happily generate the Matter just not as fast. If you plug it in to your system it WILL suck your energy dry. I suggest giving it dedicated power. Being that you're on EQEX in your LP you're probably best off making Geothermals and giving them lava cells which are REALLY easy to make using PStone. Recipe should be in your recipe book. You'll need a Volcanite Amulet.

The teleporter can't be wired to directly. It just uses the energy of "nearby" MFSUs. I'm not sure if it will also use MFEs or how close they have to be or whether the unit has to be touch it with the output face going in (that's how my test setup was and it worked). You WILL have to wire redstone to it from a button or lever to activate it. Each actual teleport (not redstone activation) will use distance^0.5*inventory where:

inventory{
    100 per any animal
    500 for mobs
    1000 + 100 per item for players
    }

This calculation came from a [Bugs] thread, so I'm not positive of it's accuracy. In my tests (very short range) teleportations didn't even take up 100k of the MFSU I had next to it.

Love your LP. Hope this information was helpful.

• Official Post

It is very helpful! Thanks! :) Also glad to hear you're enjoying the LP, I'm having a lot of fun making it.

I'm currently researching how these machines work, so you can guess what I'll be doing in Episode 14, (Teaser!).

I'm also toying with the idea of doing a series dedicated to just IC2 tutorials. The wiki is currently hit/miss with some of these details (I might try to make some changes to it at some point) and I'm getting pretty comfortable with the wiring mechanics and machine mechanics.

Thanks again!

• Yeah. The EQEX/IC2 combo is insane. EQEX is already crazy but combining everything ti diamond ore then breaking it back down to gold ore and macerating it doubles your diamond yield. I'm surprized you haven't made a Gem of Eternal Density yet. I got my first Dark Matter Locus last night, and it's INSANE. I have basically unlimited diamonds now. Combined with the Flowing Time power time item it's basically a new dark matter block every like 5-9 minutes.

I put like 13ish geothermals on my mass fab and created an epic recycler system with buildcraft and recyclers and an alchemical chest with dirt in it to throw scrap in a box for me. it used to go in to the mass fab which at the time was powered by my reactor. I like it this way better. I put the power from the geo's in to an MFSU with a lever on it switched on (stops the MFSU from transmitting power but not from charging). I can then just wait until I have a bunch of scrap and put it in then switch the lever allowing me to be sure it's got scrap in it 100% of the time rather than having to make buildcraft keep up with the very FAST rate at which mass fab uses it. If you're interested I can make a video showing you the automated mass fab/scrap contraption AND my epic obsidian generator buildcraft machine that pulls it's redstone stock from a chest too. :)

btw I'm mistershakie on youtube.

• Official Post

Cool :).

I've been kind of staying away from TOO much EQEx stuff for now, because I want to experience IC2 a little bit vanilla first, and then upgrade things with EqEx stuff. I waited a while to make that destruction catalyst for that purpose. Wanted to see how the mining drill and laser did on their own. Thats also the reason I'm not doing the macerate gold -> Diamond cycle a lot, it feels a little like cheating to me :).

I'm also using all my diamonds for IC stuff, so haven't had a chance to make too many items from EqEx. I'll probably get an Obdisian factory going at some point, but that requires an awful lot of investment up front. Obsidian factorys are useless unless you have the Volcanite, Evertide, and Gem of Eternal Density -- so thats like 9 dark matter right there before I can start using the cheaper recipes to duplicate them.

I think Epsiode 2 of my EqEx series featured my Obsidian factory from my old world, I had like 48 of those things all pumping into a chest, it was insane.

IC2 is really the star of my LP series, for now at least. I'll go into more EE and BC stuff soon though :).

• Yeah I agree. I'm glad you're doing it that way. I think it feels a little like cheating too. I'm contemplating not using EQEX at all in a new world. I've messed with all the stuff in the mod now. Once you get started on EQEX you quickly get more and more rich as you progress. It's crazy. once you have a Dark Matter Locus you are effectively making 576 diamonds every 5ish minutes doing nothing but transmuting.

• ha, ha, yeah, nice lp, watching your lp, I put EQEZ and Portal Gun in my Minecraft with BTW, IC2, BC211 and Redpower Wiring as my base mods with a ton of other mods.

I finally earned my Quantum Suit and had my Mass Fabricator hooked to a MFSU via an MV using Fibre Cable.

Yeah, the Mass Fabricator chews through the MFSU like no tomorrow. Using the scrap really sped up the matter production.

I use a Crystal Wing to teleport me back to my spawn point but will try out the portal gun and see what other tricks you will show on your lp with the portal gun.

I also use a Magic Chest mod and repair all my stuff from BTW and IC2 so I never have to replace armor or equipment (also recharges the IC2 suits and equip.)

It is insane how many mods I could stuff in this Minecraft using the Forge.

Peace!

• Official Post

Also, my portal room doesn't really work, and I (think) I know why -- if the chunk you have your wireless redstone in hasn't loaded yet, it doesn't work. Therefore, I can't remotely activate my portals using wireless redstone if I'm far away (Chunk not loaded) until I manually walk over there.

Do teleporters have this issue? Anyone know?

TF2 teleporter mod doesn't have this problem, but I'd rather use IC2 teleports.

• Well I saw post from Eloramm in the Buildcraft thread implying that pipes in single player should force chunk loads. I haven't tried it, but perhaps if you make a chest that feeds into itself in a loop the chunk will stay loaded.