Canning Machine(s)

• One of the Canning Machines looks a little like a liquid transposer. I put a lava cell in (still a little disappointed about not getting the cell back), and lava went into the tank on the right.

How do I get the lava out? It appears that I can only store liquids in cells if the liquid comes from the left tank, but my experiment shows that extracting from a cell puts liquid in the right tank.

What gives? What is this machine even for?

• Ok. I saw the recipe for Universal Cell. Why and how is it different from a normal Cell? Other than survivability in a canning machine, what particular uses does it have, and does it work to input fluids to GT machines from the GT machine GUI?

• Official Post

Ok. I saw the recipe for Universal Cell. Why and how is it different from a normal Cell? Other than survivability in a canning machine, what particular uses does it have, and does it work to input fluids to GT machines from the GT machine GUI?

They are basically the same as cans from forestry for example, instead of hardcoding each liquid it does wierd code magic to work for every liquid. Its still WIP I think.

• So Canning Machine with fluid ejector into GT Bronze Fluid Pipes:

When I drain cells, the lava goes into the right tank. The right tank empties because of the fluid ejector. The pipe fills. Then, the pipe dumps into the geothermal generators AND back into the canning machine, except that it goes into the LEFT tank. The left tank does not eject. All I can do is wait for it to hit 1000mb, then fill another cell to drain back into the right tank.

• That's unfortunately a result of the fluid ejector upgrade not blocking backflow, like a "proper" liquid extracting solution (Buildcraft pipe, Thermal Expansion fluiduct, Extra Utilities transfer node etc).

Ideally the fluid ejector should block liquid input from the face it is outputting to (or all faces, if unconfigured). But that is probably easier said than coded...

• Official Post

So Canning Machine with fluid ejector into GT Bronze Fluid Pipes:

When I drain cells, the lava goes into the right tank. The right tank empties because of the fluid ejector. The pipe fills. Then, the pipe dumps into the geothermal generators AND back into the canning machine, except that it goes into the LEFT tank. The left tank does not eject. All I can do is wait for it to hit 1000mb, then fill another cell to drain back into the right tank.

This is something you should report to GT...
    Hmm, a temporary workaround would be to place a cover (any) in the pipe facing the canning machine (the ejector will output the liquid through it, but the pipe won't insert the liquid back).
    There is plenty of cheap material available early for covers.

• Official Post

SpwnX you derped a little. IC² is not GT. You cant put Covers on IC² Machines. That is an IC² Canning Machine and not a GT one.

I know that. I was talking about the fluid pipe of yours, which is backflowing the liquid from IC² ejectors.
    A cover (on the pipe) would probably suffice to stop that backflow.
    I just don't know if the ejector can deal with the covered face properly.

Who is the one misunderstanding things now? :3

• The GT Canning Machine does not have liquid transposing capability, and this is the only such IC2 or GT machine that would do this (excepting the GT multiblock hatch), right?

• Official Post

The GT Canning Machine does not have liquid transposing capability, and this is the only such IC2 or GT machine that would do this (excepting the GT multiblock hatch), right?

Those and an even more expensive (but easier to be automated) block, the material injector/extractor for fusion reactor.
    Try placing a cover (any, copper plate for example) on the bronze fluid pipe, at the side facing the canning machine.

• Also, something about the Universal Fluid Cells (empty or full) makes them immune to Inventory Tweaks' auto-sort. The small stack and large stack will switch places at best, but not combine.

• Official Post

Also, something about the Universal Fluid Cells (empty or full) makes them immune to Inventory Tweaks' auto-sort. The small stack and large stack will switch places at best, but not combine.

Probably the "hacky" code used in it to allow it to hold any forge registered liquid.

• Try placing a cover (any, copper plate for example) on the bronze fluid pipe, at the side facing the canning machine.

Unfortunately, that prevents liquid from leaving the Canning Machine. No good.

• Another solution just occurred to me: Put water in the left tank, lava in the right. Presumably the lava wouldn't backflow into the left tank if a different fluid is in there, but if it does, well, then I guess I'll clog that side of the machine with obsidian... and that's just fine for this use.