Request for Installation Instruction Update

• The way the mod is installed has certainly changed drastically since the 2011 post made on this forum on how to install it. I ask that a new thread with the more up to date instructions be added. I used mod-packs for so long that I no longer remember the process.

• I don't understand. You download the mod, put it in your mods folder. Done. Just like any other mod. If that's all you were asking, I'm glad to help, if that ISN'T what you were asking, try being more specific.

• Ok, more specifically:
    I have no mods folder. I try dragging and dropping the contents of the forge jar into the minecraft version jar, but as soon as I launch minecraft the game undos what I did and takes it right back to vanilla jar configuration, removing any added files. There is no mods folder.

• Ok, more specifically:
    I have no mods folder. I try dragging and dropping the contents of the forge jar into the minecraft version jar, but as soon as I launch minecraft the game undos what I did and takes it right back to vanilla jar configuration, removing any added files. There is no mods folder.

Installing IC2 still takes the same method. The only difference is Forge is installed differently now.

Download the Forge installer from here instead (any version up to 953 should work; don't use 954+). Run the installer on your .minecraft file or wherever your base instance is (with /versions folder). It will add a "1.6.4-Forge9.11.1.953" version to your Minecraft. Afterwards, add IC2 to /mods folder.

• Thanks for the reply

While I was waiting, I went onto YouTube to research how to install Forge. It was about as clear as mud from when I first came in from the world of not installing mods. I know the Industrialcraft team isn't responsible for forge, but since it is a dependency, I was wondering if the dedicated installation instructions thread could be updated or replaced to give a guy like myself with no background on installing mods a step-by-step on how to do it.

I downloaded the forge installer, then had to right click. On the drop-down menu I selected "open with" and chose "Java" from the programs.
    I clicked ok for it to install itself for the client.
    Then, I had to launch minecraft and switch my user name from my own to "Forge" on the dropdown menu on the bottom-left of the window.
    I then clicked play and allowed it to run to the start menu.
    I closed the minecraft window, then typed in %appdata% in my windows finder (found by clicking the start button at the bottom left of my desktop, followed by typing %appdata% into the search box which then appears), clicked on the roaming folder, then finally found the mods folder inside of .minecraft.
    I dragged the necessary mods into that. Now they are working.

Something more up to date like this can help the helpless n00bs like me figure this stuff out.