Missing copper and tin and iron furnace

• I've only been playing Minecraft for a few weeks. I just installed IC2 and I've run into two problems. First, copper and tin seem to be completely absent from the game. I've completely mined out layers 40-42 on one chunk and layers 12-15 on several chunks (which, as it turns out, is a good way to make an unintentional slime farm...The things people don't tell you when they're giving the newbies advice) and have found neither of these ores. I've found just about everything else, including a little lead and some uranium, but no copper or tin.

The second problem I'm having is that I seem to be unable to make an iron furnace. I've tried both recipes from the wiki, but neither works.

So far everything else seems to work. I have rubber trees and can get resin from them with a tap and I have a couple fields of crops. Can someone point me the right direction to get the copper and tin fixed at least? I can live without the iron furnace if I have to, but I need the copper.

• You are going to want NEI. (here)

It is a recipe mod that allows you to search for items and press "R" to see how to make them. Because you are playing IC2 experimental the IC2 wiki is practically worthless, MUCH has changed and the wiki hasn't been updated.

Sometimes you have trouble finding materials. My first game ever I couldn't find iron to save my life. Check here for a post on where to find IC2 materials.

Once you have "beaten" IC2 a time or two you might start wanting a bit more of a challenge. If so, you might consider adding GregTech to your mods. It makes the game MUCH harder and GREATLY increases the time it takes to reach the top of the tech tree (as well as adding more to the top of the tech tree).

• Question: Did you notice some kind of "small caves" up to 8 blocks? Long time ago i had a smiliar problem. Something was going wrong as i updated my mod(s) and the ores was simply deleted from the World.

You can try open a creative world and look if you can place a Tin Ore somewhere. And if this works you can dig (in creative mode) for tin and cooper. Edit: if you find some somthing is going wrong with your World generation.

An Ape sing a song for an tyrannosaurus:
    "If you're happy and you know it clap your..... ohhhhh."

• Official Post

Are you sure you downloaded the right version?
    it is the one that says "industrialcraft-2_2.0.XXX-experimental.jar"

• I suppose I'll have to reinstall NEI for the recipes if the wiki's not going to work for them. I really didn't like that mod because I found it too easy just to grab stuff and put it in my inventory, but if it's the only way to get the IC2 recipes I'll just deal with it. Maybe if I actually RTFM there's a way to turn that feature off.

I haven't seen any caves that look like they could have been ore veins, and like I said I've found lead and uranium and rubber trees, so I know the mod's working. The only other mods I have installed are Forge (obviously) and Treecaptator, so the presence of those ores pretty well proves the mod is working right. It just seems that copper and tin are either entirely absent or rarer than anything in vanilla in this world. I'll try generating a new world tonight and see if that works.

I'm not home right now to check it, but if the mod's working then it must be the right version, right?

• Official Post

With NEI, Turn it to "Recipe" mode in the "options" button in your inventory. It makes it so that you can only click for recipes.

• NEI revealed the problem right away. The wiki is indeed way off. I don't recall even SEEING iron plates in there. And thanks for the tip about recipe mode. That makes it a much better mod for the way I play.

As for the copper, I generated a new world and an hour later I had half a stack of copper ores and 15 tin ores waiting for me to get my macerator and electro furnace built. Now if I can just get down to where I can get some redstone I'll be set (caves in the mine shaft can be very distracting).