Got a problem with my reactor.

• Hi,
    I'm new to nuclear power but created a 6 chamber design by following the this design: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.co…ctor?file=Best_set_up.png

The issue I seem to have is my component heat exchangers have melted. Not sure what happened because when I ran it in the simulator the only things that emptied were the uranium cells.
    Is there a flaw in this design?

Im running MC 1.5.2 and FTB Unleashed 1.1.7

I'd appreciated any help that you can give as I now have the annoying task of recreating the components that I thought I would only need to make once. :)

• A few comments:

1. Those coolant cells aren't doing anything at all. They're not like the coolant cells of Minecraft 1.2.5 that just kind of magicked heat away from the whole reactor- instead, they can only store heat, and can only take it from components that actively dump heat into the cell, such as exchangers or uranium cells.
    Since the nuclear revolution of MC 1.3, coolant really only has two uses: CRCS and extending the microcycle times of Mark 2s and 3s.

2. You probably misplaced some components or got griefed- I don't think heat exchangers can ever melt unless they're next to a uranium cell outputting more heat than the exchangers can deal with. The ones in that design aren't, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't melt unless you goofed somewhere.
    Overclocked heat vents, on the other hand, do like to melt. They pull about 16 more heat per second from the reactor hull than they dissipate- so, if left uncooled in a hot reactor, they will melt. But you said heat exchangers, so that's not the problem.

3. This design probably isn't the "best" out there- for one, no reactor can ever suit everyone's needs; also, there's an "[Official] New Reactors design thread" stickied right at the top of this forum. There's quite a few community-approved designs there, and you'll probably find one that suits your needs better than the one in the page you linked.

4. When posting a design for a reactor, please send us a link to the reactor planner page for that design (like this), as given by clicking that "Copy URL" button. It makes it easier for us to analyze it, and frequently easier for you to show it to us.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• Thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the designs and go back to the drawing board to find the best design for my needs (basically just powering machines and quarries).

• Decided to give this one a go but one thing I've now noticed is, even if I have a switch set to off, the uranium cells are still draining. No power is being used.

Is the only way to stop the cells from depleting by removing them from the reactor??

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Official Post

The reactor will continue depleting the cells if the redstone signal is kept, regardless of your energy storage.
    You have to use redstone systems (or nuclear control addon, it is much better) to turn off your reactor once your energy storage is full.

• If you are using a switch, and the reactor still runs even if it is switched off, then it is getting a stray redstone signal from somewhere else. This can sometimes happen in compact bases. Check the surroundings of the reactor for other redstone things that might potentially affect it.

• Cheers, I'll check for redstone signals but will also look at nuclear controls as I would like to know that when I switch everything off, there is no waste in power!

I'm wondering if my MFSU is maybe depleting the reactor since that was hooked up to it at the same time. Even though I had a switch on the reactor turning it off.

• Whoops!
    Was playing earlier today and must have forgotten to switch off my reactor. Went back online to find a nice deep crater where my reactor once sat. Luckily I had put reenforced brick over the top so it only blew up down the way but even still, a bit annoying. I've restored back to a backup of the game from yesterday so my question is now:

Under what circumstances will a reactor blow up?
    Will it blow up if the nuclear cells are depleted?
    Will a reactor blow if it's not chunk loaded?

How can I prevent a reactor from blowing up next time? I'm guessing some redstone mastery?

• Whoops!
    Was playing earlier today and must have forgotten to switch off my reactor. Went back online to find a nice deep crater where my reactor once sat. Luckily I had put reenforced brick over the top so it only blew up down the way but even still, a bit annoying. I've restored back to a backup of the game from yesterday so my question is now:

Under what circumstances will a reactor blow up?
    Will it blow up if the nuclear cells are depleted?
    Will a reactor blow if it's not chunk loaded?

How can I prevent a reactor from blowing up next time? I'm guessing some redstone mastery?

It blows up when heat reaches 100%.

The only way to sense heat without using addons is using RS timers and/or computers from other mods.

• Been looking at hooking up a thermal monitor to my reactor but we don't have redpower mod installed on FTB Ultimate - this seems to be key to hooking everything up!

Anyone got any suggestions on how to hook up the thermal monitor without redpower?

• Been looking at hooking up a thermal monitor to my reactor but we don't have redpower mod installed on FTB Ultimate - this seems to be key to hooking everything up!

Anyone got any suggestions on how to hook up the thermal monitor without redpower?

There's nothing that RedPower circuitry can do that vanilla Redstone can't do in a larger space.
    However, it sounds like you can do what you're trying to with nothing more than a few pieces of redstone dust. If you still want to stick to Redpower-style wires on walls, you could use the RedNet Cable from Minefactory Reloaded (if that's in Ultimate), or upgrade to one of the newer packs and use ProjectRed wires.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• Cheers for your post.
    I will look in to the rednet cables and see if they are available.
    I was chatting with the guy that owns the server and the way he has got round the issue of not having RedPower2 is by using Wireless transmitters and receivers which will send the redstone signal to the reactor.

Might be an option?

I'm also going to look to see if I can send 2 signals to the reactor, one if the MFSU is full (turn off reactor) and one from the thermostat if it gets too hot (turn off reactor). I'd imagine then once if the MFSU drops from full then the reactor will come back on as long as the termostat is not also sending a signal to say it's too hot to run?

• Official Post

I'm also going to look to see if I can send 2 signals to the reactor, one if the MFSU is full (turn off reactor) and one from the thermostat if it gets too hot (turn off reactor). I'd imagine then once if the MFSU drops from full then the reactor will come back on as long as the termostat is not also sending a signal to say it's too hot to run?

Yeah, that'd do it

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Moving slightly away from the OP but needing some help with the logic gates now to make my reactor 100% safe, well, as safe as a thermostat (TS) can make it while using an MFSU.

I need to find a way of only allowing the reactor to be on when the (TS) is cool (redstone signal ON) and the MFSU is not full (redstone signal OFF), ever other scenario should mean the reactor is off.

Ive got the wireless transmitter and reciever working fine with the thermostat alone but by adding in the MFSU it's an added complexity which I can't get my head around. How do I setup a gate that triggers correctly under the cool reactor, not full MFSU scenario?

Thanks in advance,

• Set the MFSU to the mode where it emits if there is space. Then send it to an AND gate.

Otherwise, invert the output from the MFSU.