[Suggestion] New kinds of Luminators? [And a light sensor?]

• Hello, i was thnking of easy ways to see how your Eu was doing, and thought of redstone. However, for me its a bit comlicated to redstone up a whole network of wires blah blah blah...

To get to the point, i propose a few blocks:

NAME: Redstone Output Luminator
    (Call me old school, but...)

Description:
    - When powered with EU, gives off a redstone signal
    -Otherwise, same as original luminator

Crafting:
    - Possibly crafting recipe with liminator in the middle and redstone surrounding it?

_R_
    RLR = x1/2/4 Redstone Luminator
    _R_

L = Luminator, R = Redstone, _ = blank

Another Thing;

Name: EU power luminator Detector

Desciption:
    Depending on the input of EU, the light level of the Luminator chagnes. I imagine this would reqiure some time to code, but something like:

Code
    if EU level = 0-1, light lvl 0, else if EU lvl = 2-3, light lvl = 1, etc...else if EU = 30-31, light lvl 15.

I assume the code would be something like this, because of IC machnes exploding above a certain lvl of energy.

This block would be useful for determining how much energy there is...not. Therefore increase the amount of EU it can take to 511 EU [0-511 because of Binary?] Then:

EU = Light Level
    0-31 = 0
    32-63 = 1
    64-95 = 2
    96-127 = 3
    128-159 = 4
    160-191 = 5
    192-223 = 6
    224-255 = 7
    256-287 = 8
    288-319 = 9
    320-351 = 10
    352-383 = 11
    384-415 = 12
    416-447 = 13
    448-479 = 14
    480-511 = 15

Think i got that right...
    So the more EU that goes through, the brighter the level.

Crafting:

GGG
    LIM = x1 EU Sensor
    GGG

G = Glass, L = LV Transformer, M = MV Transformer, I = Luminator

Which brings up another thing...

Name: LIGHT SENSORS! [HAYO!]

Description: MY LIGHT SENOSORS WILL BLACK OUT THE...wait a minute. They won't block the sun, but they will sense it! Or light levels, more specifically. The sensor is located on top of the block, and the output goes on the other 5 faces of the block, which can be re-orientated like a MFSU etc. with a wrench. [When you right click with the wrench, the sensor faces you.] Maybe out puts
    Now, i dont know how output would work, but these things will [somehow] tell you the level of light! [Binary switches? 4 switches can represent a maximum value of 15, which incidently is the max light level! BINARY FTW] This might use a whole row of textures...

Maybe a way to determine the light level, then change the face to represent that?

Code
    if light level = 1, side texture 1 = ic2terrainsprites.png (8*16)+1 [8th row?]

Or just use plain old numbers for textures. Umm...

Crafting:

GGG
    SLS = x1 Light Sensor
    CSC

C = Circuit/Advance Circuit, L = Luminator/Solar Panel, S = Solarpanel/Luminator, G = Glass/Replace top row with same pattern as bottom, Maybe put a Machine/Advanced Machine somewhere?

• Light sensor is a good idea and redstone emitter also (I think i don't have to be a luminator, it could just be a EU-sensor that emit redstone after reaching a limit that the player put in the UI)

About your luminator with 15 levels of lights : I think we couldn't see the difference beetwen two levels (like 1 - 2 ; 3 - 4 ...) but just high difference (like 1 -10 ; 5 -15) due to the max light power and our (in)capacity to really detect difference beetwen 15 levels of lights. So it could be useless

• Light sensor is a good idea and redstone emitter also (I think i don't have to be a luminator, it could just be a EU-sensor that emit redstone after reaching a limit that the player put in the UI)

About your luminator with 15 levels of lights : I think we couldn't see the difference beetwen two levels (like 1 - 2 ; 3 - 4 ...) but just high difference (like 1 -10 ; 5 -15) due to the max light power and our (in)capacity to really detect difference beetwen 15 levels of lights. So it could be useless

Yes, but that is why i thought of the light sensor. Although maybe there could be 2 different types of EU reader luminators, one with light lvls 0-15, and the other like what you suggested. Or maybe use the original luminator?

EDIT: What happened to the luminator?

• I like them both, although I think Al has some ideas for the luminater.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Official Post

NAME: Redstone Output Luminator
    (Call me old school, but...)

Description:
    - When powered with EU, gives off a redstone signal
    -Otherwise, same as original luminator

So you're wanting to combine the Energy-O-Mat and a Luminator into one block? I'm not really seeing the point of this one besides it lighting up when it receives power, which you can already do with an E-O-M, a few Redstone and a Redstone torch (When the E-O-M gets implemented in the SMP version).

escription: MY LIGHT SENOSORS WILL BLACK OUT THE...wait a minute. They won't block the sun, but they will sense it! Or light levels, more specifically. The sensor is located on top of the block, and the output goes on the other 5 faces of the block, which can be re-orientated like a MFSU etc. with a wrench. [When you right click with the wrench, the sensor faces you.] Maybe out puts
    Now, i dont know how output would work, but these things will [somehow] tell you the level of light! [Binary switches? 4 switches can represent a maximum value of 15, which incidently is the max light level! BINARY FTW] This might use a whole row of textures...

Why are we trying to detect minimal changes in light? We already have a Daylight sensor (Solar Panel + E-O-M = Daylight Sensor when the E-O-M gets implemented), so I'm not exactly seeing the point of this one either (Sans an underground cave system lit up by luminators, which a right-out daft idea due to energy consumption, plus you'd be on location to see the "Binary output" and know it's dark).

• So you're wanting to combine the Energy-O-Mat and a Luminator into one block? I'm not really seeing the point of this one besides it lighting up when it receives power, which you can already do with an E-O-M, a few Redstone and a Redstone torch (When the E-O-M gets implemented in the SMP version).

Why are we trying to detect minimal changes in light? We already have a Daylight sensor (Solar Panel + E-O-M = Daylight Sensor when the E-O-M gets implemented), so I'm not exactly seeing the point of this one either (Sans an underground cave system lit up by luminators, which a right-out daft idea due to energy consumption, plus you'd be on location to see the "Binary output" and know it's dark).

Ok...so the EOM already gives off redstone current when powered? I never knew that. But the propsed block would look pretty when in a control room, as well as being connected to something else maybe?

As for the light sensor, it's to:

1. Tell you how bright the sensor face is.

2. Detect changes in the other kind of lumineator [the EU Detector one that changes minimally in light levels]

• Eloraam seems to be working on a Light Sensor for the RedPower Mod.
    I use RP with IC2 and BC. I don't want to play Minecraft without these mods.

I think there is no need for a Redstone Lightsensor in IC2, it's stuff for RedPower
    in most cases you will anyway need a circuit to process the output of the sensor.
    At this point you will simply love the Redpower mod.

The Luminator would be a nice addition to detect active Cables.
    Why not split it up in 4 versions, one for every power level?

The change of the Texture is much more important than the emmiting light level, i think.
    In this way you can view the load on the Texture. ( 0% 25% 50% 75% 100% )

• Lightsensors are possible now:

Run 1 solar panel to a Energy-O-Mat and the to your power storage or a mass fab. When the solar is on the power flows through the Energy-O-Mat and it emits redstone current.