Timed enchantment for tools

• One liner: enchant drills and similar such that the enchantment effect fades over time or over total # of block mined.

Multiple liner:
    We want efficiency! We want fortune!
    Can IC enable enchantment for tools? For balance, the enchantment effect needs to fade out after certain amount of time or after certain # of block has been mined (perhaps, with degrade)..

E.g.:
    Fortune III, lasts 100 blocks. Degrades to Fortune II.. Fortune I.. and gone...

• Official Post

There'd need to be a way to get them back, because iridium (upgraded from diamond) only lasting 300 blocks until it's no better than the diamond it was upgraded from is stupid.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• There'd need to be a way to get them back, because iridium (upgraded from diamond) only lasting 300 blocks until it's no better than the diamond it was upgraded from is stupid.

Its magic we are talking about here...
    I dont think better machines will give you better magics...
    So I don't think thats necessary..

Furthermore, if we are enchanting a diamond pickaxe..
    We have even less chance of getting good enchantment =\..
    Assume this website is correct:
    http://www.minecraftenchantmentcalculator.com/rev5/

• Official Post

You are left with something which is completely useless over the previous tier. There needs to be something which makes the massive price of the iridium drill worth it.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• You are left with something which is completely useless over the previous tier. There needs to be something which makes the massive price of the iridium drill worth it.

I am not talking about balance of drills here..
    I am talking about enable IC2 items can be enchanted with limitations.
    And I am also saying how should items be treated (equally or individually)...
    Not balance issue...

The discuss of balance issue comes after this idea being accepted.. furthermore the settings of drills are completely independent with this feature. They are related, however, as I mentioned earlier, that comes after the idea being accepted.
    I do not like to get ahead (or get irrelevant) when the basis is not set... because they are irrelevant at this moment.

----------------------
    I know you might say: they are relevant, because we need to fit them in.
    My answer to that is: there are always ways to fit them in, but what matters is whether this feature appropriate.
    If appropriate, then we starts working on details and determine what to change in order to make more fun.
    Not just begin with an idea then think about "what happens with this and that.." it will work eventually but it is messy and inefficient.

Summary: After idea gets accepted, then talk about what should we do about iridium coated drill and similar...

• Official Post

I'm not against the idea, I just can't see how it would work

I see this too much.

• I'm not against the idea, I just can't see how it would work

Since i am not familar with how NBT tag works...

But I am going to assume NBT tag can store an integer; and assume the EU remains are stored using NBT tag as well...
    Suppose a 32 bit integer.
    We can assign 16 bits for EU storage (up to 65535 EU) (or use as floating point, which stores a percentage)
    then 10 bits for the remaining time or usage (up to 1023 blocks or seconds).
    And rest of 6 bits are used as to identify what type of enchantment it has received.

*** else ***
    I think the identifying what enchantment it has may be redundant, excessive.
    Since the IC2 items can already be enchanted with cheat, using NEI or similar means.
    If theres no need of identifying the what enchantment it holds, then we can simply assign 16 bit for EU and 16 bit for magic remains.
    Or arrange it in whatever ways you want.
    But the code may be complicated, since I have no idea of how to work with high word or low word in Java (I'm quite noob in java...)

Idea originated from how WinAPI in C++ manage to store 2 parameters in 1 integer.

If NBT tag can store multiple stuffs..
    Awesome!..

*** Add ***
    Use TAG_Int_Array ???

*** Add * Sorry ***
    Sorry if I misunderstood you...

• I'm not against the idea, I just can't see how it would work

could enchantments be placed on something else.. IE the backpack? or does it have to be the drill itself?

i understand enchantments like effeciancy and unbreaking etc etc would be worthless, but silk touch woudl be good.. maybe there are other ways to use the enchanting book at a extreme cost to add it to a drill/saw?

• could enchantments be placed on something else.. IE the backpack? or does it have to be the drill itself?

i understand enchantments like effeciancy and unbreaking etc etc would be worthless, but silk touch woudl be good.. maybe there are other ways to use the enchanting book at a extreme cost to add it to a drill/saw?

perhaps unbreaking let the enchantment last longer
    and efficiency reduces EU cost..

• Official Post

maybe there are other ways to use the enchanting book at a extreme cost to add it to a drill/saw?

Already the cost is 3 iridium to get either silk touch or fortune on the drill, so something similar for the saw would make sense. Unless you wanted to completely change it.

The main point I am confused about is the logic of how "wearing out" the enchantment would work. It seems a very extreme way to make the higher tier tools less useful, unless there was a way to perhaps regenerate the enchantment in a new machine at the cost of EU. Then I'd like the idea more.

I see this too much.

• Already the cost is 3 iridium to get either silk touch or fortune on the drill, so something similar for the saw would make sense. Unless you wanted to completely change it.

The main point I am confused about is the logic of how "wearing out" the enchantment would work. It seems a very extreme way to make the higher tier tools less useful, unless there was a way to perhaps regenerate the enchantment in a new machine at the cost of EU. Then I'd like the idea more.

i feel the enchantments should be renewable.. but not with EU i don't know if that can be balanced easily.. could items have two bars of energy one "enchantment energy" one traditional EU?
    the EE is recharged on a special enchanting table that uses some mats of some kind like spiders eggs and such.. ?

• Already the cost is 3 iridium to get either silk touch or fortune on the drill, so something similar for the saw would make sense. Unless you wanted to completely change it.

Sorry about suddenly dying away..

Enchantment "wearing out" by destroying blocks or timers.

There are 2 ways enchantment runs out:
    - Time
    - Destroy blocks

E.g. enchanted a drill. Time is 10 second, block limit is 5 blocks. (This is just an example)
    If 10 seconds has passed since the enchantment is applied, enchantment will be gone forever, and drill turns into a normal drill
    If drill mined 5 blocks within 10 seconds, drill turns into a normal drill; regardless how much time it has left..
    Period.

There would be a better way is that, there are some amount of magic power on drill.
    e.g. enchant a drill. Has Magic Power 100. For every seconds, Magic Power decrease by 1, for every blocks it destroys, Magic Power decreases by 10..
    When Magic Power goes down to 0, drill turns into a normal drill
    Period.

This is how the "wearing out" mechanism works...

I am sorry..