The new 5x5 IC² Reactor

• I've tested the reactor now in beyond reality now and it seems to work flawlessly. It takes a while before the reactor reaches its full output which it seems to do at about 1% hull heat. Then the output varies between rougly 1332 and 1352. Ive let it run for about 15 minutes and it does not seem to encounter any problems.

http://prntscr.com/80raea

Edit:
    I've let it run for one and a half cycle now, no problem whatsoever. Think its safe to say that it's completly safe :)

This will likely be my reactor of choice for future for gregtech, vanilla reactors can't really compete. I will probably add the thorium reactor aswell just to have a use for it.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited 3 times, last by Blackpalt ().

• I made an alternative thorium design for you, it is slighly lower efficiency but the output is a lot higher. Considering the cost of a 5x5 it feels like one should maximize the output of the reactor. The cost of the fuel itself is quite low in comparison with the cost of the reactor after all.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…sr2wbxfivpap2vu79muqueeps

Also it uses the same amount of reflectors as your old design and most of the components are the same so it should not be that expensive to change design if you feel like switching.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

• Woh. Hmm that's really tempting, the efficiency drop isn't all that big. And you're right: thorium just lasts forever, it doesn't really harm much to go for more output.

I'll probably stick with what I have though: my thorium reactor is almost like an RTG that I just keep running full-time these days. Rather than increase the output of a single reactor, I'd likely fork out for more reactors.

I've never seen 5 quads in a Mark 1 before. Thorium heat output notwithanding :)

• Blackpalt, its been a while.

I was tinkering with IC2 reactors today and decided to try this reactor. It still registers as a stable reactor in the planner but seems to very slowly overheat in practice.

Any clue why?

This is probably after 15-20 minutes running. (Screenshot)

http://imgur.com/hlGUkEi

• you probably saw it already, but in the screenshot, you are missing 80 Hu/s compared to the design.
    since the uranium cells still produce the 1280 Hu heat, and you only dispatiate 1200, it is only natural, that it overheats over time

• you probably saw it already, but in the screenshot, you are missing 80 Hu/s compared to the design.
    since the uranium cells still produce the 1280 Hu heat, and you only dispatiate 1200, it is only natural, that it overheats over time

Marius, I confess, I don't understand.

If I'm using the same design, with the same amount of cooling, but somehow generating 80 hu/s LESS heat than the design, shouldn't I be actually over-compensating the cooling?

(Put another way: If the design produces 1280 in the design, and is stable, I assume its cooling 1280 as well, which means mine should be cooling 1280 since its the same design)

I've actually simply decided that the planner itself must no longer be fully compliant.

• New reactor is based on the the heat expelled by the vents into the coolant.

If the coolant is not returned or the vents are not "venting," your reactor will overheat.

• For anyone who is unaware the majority of the heat vents do not work in a fluid reactor.

You can only use: Heat vents, Reactor Heat Vents, Advanced Heat Vents, and the Component Heat Vents. Unless its different in the other versions as of version 2.2.810 only those cooling components can be used inside of the fluid reactor. The components even say that they can only be used in a eu reactor when you stick them inside of a fluid reactor.

This is my build getting a solid and consistent 816hu/t. This provides a 600eu/t output.

• So I've been trying to get my reactor going, (playing on Hermitpack) I've got my IC2 Coolant cells, I put them into my system, fire up the reactor and wait 20 seconds before it over heats.

I'm getting a 5mb flow moving around the system, and I don't understand where my stacks upon stacks of coolant went?

Is it the fluid conduits I'm using from Ender Io? If so I can't seem to get anything to hook up to this thing properly.

I'm gonna rebuild this so, I'll see if that helps out

So I rebuilt it, centered on a single chunk still having slow transfer rates from my liquid heat exchangers to the coolant tank supply. I'm getting a 1mb exchange rate, from hot coolant to coolant is there something I'm doing wrong here?
    I added Fluid Distributors, that seems to have helped the input from hot coolant into the LHE's, they transfer from hot to cool quite quickly now, but most of my fluid is still disappearing on me. Is one supposed to have a huge tank near by full of IC2 coolant fluid to have this 5x5 fluid reactor work properly?