Can't make coalfuel in 624 experimental

• The wiki says to make coalfuel cells, you have to make hydrated coal dust and put it in the compressor, but the compressor won't take it. I have tried several other methods, like enriching water in the canning machine with the coal dust, but none seem to work. Is this broken, or can I just not find the new recipe?

• Official Post

The wiki says

There's your first reason why it doesn't work

It was removed about 100 experimental versions ago! Hydrated coal dust is only useful for single use batteries or smelting back into coal dust now.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• There's your first reason why it doesn't work

It was removed about 100 experimental versions ago! Hydrated coal dust is only useful for single use batteries or smelting back into coal dust now.

So how do you fuel the jetpack, and does that mean there's no better way to fuel a generator than just tossing the coal straight in? No reason to process the coal first? Was the biofuel cell also removed?

• Official Post

So how do you fuel the jetpack, and does that mean there's no better way to fuel a generator than just tossing the coal straight in? No reason to process the coal first? Was the biofuel cell also removed?

1. You fuel the jetpack using biogas in a canning machine. Biogas is made from biomass in a fermenter. Biomass is made from water + biochaff in a canning machine on fluid enrich mode. Biochaff is macerated plant material.
    2. No, coal doesn't have a better form to burn (that I'm aware of). That gives me an idea for a suggestion...
    3. There is no way to process the coal first, so no.
    4. The biofuel cell was removed, and replaced with biomass and biogas cells

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• 1. You fuel the jetpack using biogas in a canning machine. Biogas is made from biomass in a fermenter. Biomass is made from water + biochaff in a canning machine on fluid enrich mode. Biochaff is macerated plant material.
    2. No, coal doesn't have a better form to burn (that I'm aware of). That gives me an idea for a suggestion...
    3. There is no way to process the coal first, so no.
    4. The biofuel cell was removed, and replaced with biomass and biogas cells

How do you make the fermenter? And more importantly, how do you learn this stuff? I thought I could figure it out from reading the git change logs on jenkins but they seem to be extremely vague.

• Official Post

Most of the stuff I find is just messing around in single player. The jenkins changelogs just give an idea where to start.

I see this too much.

• So how do you build and use the fermenter? I tried using one in creative mode and it looks like it wants some sort of fluid on the right before it will ferment the biomass, but it won't accept any of the fluid cells.

• Official Post

Which IC2 version do you have, Player broke cell stuffs a few versions ago and only fixed it on build 628.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

You need to provide the fermenter heat on the copper coloured square side.

I see this too much.

• You need to provide the fermenter heat on the copper coloured square side.

Ok, so I used a solid heater to provide heat once I got them facing the right direction ( why does it only accept heat from one face? ). It seems to take a lot of heat, and if it only accepts heat from one face, I guess you can't use multiple heaters to speed it up? But I did get some bio gas made. The problem is that the canning machine unloads it into its output tank rather than its input tank, and so it won't pump it into the jetpack.

• Official Post

( why does it only accept heat from one face? )

Because that's all you really need. The only heat needing machine which can accept heat from more than one face is the steam generator, which can take hundreds of heat units to make steam.

Solid heat generators are the lowest tier of heat generator, you can get EU powered ones which are much better so will let the fermenter run faster for example.

I see this too much.

• Because that's all you really need. The only heat needing machine which can accept heat from more than one face is the steam generator, which can take hundreds of heat units to make steam.

Solid heat generators are the lowest tier of heat generator, you can get EU powered ones which are much better so will let the fermenter run faster for example.

That makes sense; the electric heater seems to upgrade with coils to produce more heat. What about the canning machine problem? Also do you have recipies for these new machines? I'd like to try making them in survival mode.

I also was trying to play with the steam generator but couldn't figure it out. It seems to want you to pipe water into it to boil into steam, but how do you do that, and what do you do with the steam you get?

Also is there any other use for the bio gas? Like can you burn it in a heater or generator?

• Official Post

What about the canning machine problem?

Which canning machine problem?

Also do you have recipies for these new machines? I'd like to try making them in survival mode.

I could if you really wanted, but just getting NEI or Craftguide would make it so much easier

I also was trying to play with the steam generator but couldn't figure it out. It seems to want you to pipe water into it to boil into steam, but how do you do that, and what do you do with the steam you get?

You pipe water in, set the pressure to 0 bar and flow to 1mB/t of water, you'll make 100mB/t of steam. Steam can be used to make power in a turbine or put in a condenser to make distilled water. At a pressure of 220 bars you'll make superheated steam, which goes into a turbine to make EU, and that will output steam, so you can get 3x the amount of power than normal steam. It takes twice the amount of heat to make though.

Also is there any other use for the bio gas? Like can you burn it in a heater or generator?

You can burn it in a semifluid generator to make EU

I see this too much.

• Quoted from "psusi"

What about the canning machine problem?
    Which canning machine problem?

The canning machine extracts the fluid cells to its *output* tank rather than input. I finally figured out that if you just shift right click on it with the cells, it empties them into the input tank and fueled up the jetpack.

Quoted from "psusi"

Also do you have recipies for these new machines? I'd like to try making them in survival mode.
    I could if you really wanted, but just getting NEI or Craftguide would make it so much easier

I tried getting NEI from somewhere earlier but it crashed. Can you link a specific version that works with the current builds?

Quoted from "psusi"

You pipe water in, set the pressure to 0 bar and flow to 1mB/t of water, you'll make 100mB/t of steam. Steam can be used to make power in a turbine or put in a condenser to make distilled water. At a pressure of 220 bars you'll make superheated steam, which goes into a turbine to make EU, and that will output steam, so you can get 3x the amount of power than normal steam. It takes twice the amount of heat to make though.

How do you pipe the water though? AFAICS, IC2 has no pipes.

Quoted from "psusi"

You can burn it in a semifluid generator to make EU

I found that one in creative mode. I first set up a fluid heater to drive the fermenter and burned 4 buckets of bio gas in it and got 6 buckets out of the fermenter. Then I tried burning the 6 buckets of gas in the semifluid generator to power an electric heater, which seems to have the ability to heat much faster ( but one generator can't keep up if you install more than one coil ), but did not even get back the 6 buckets of fuel spent on heat. It feels like the fermeter just takes too much heat. If it were cut in half then you could still end up with a net gain in fuel with biomass input using the electric heater.

• Official Post

I tried getting NEI from somewhere earlier but it crashed. Can you link a specific version that works with the current builds?

I'll attach it.

How do you pipe the water though? AFAICS, IC2 has no pipes.

You can either use the expensive option of fluid regulators, or get another mod which does add pipes.

If it were cut in half then you could still end up with a net gain in fuel with biomass input using the electric heater.

There's a config option on how much heat the fermenter needs, so you can tweak it there if you're not happy.

• You pipe water in, set the pressure to 0 bar and flow to 1mB/t of water, you'll make 100mB/t of steam. Steam can be used to make power in a turbine or put in a condenser to make distilled water. At a pressure of 220 bars you'll make superheated steam, which goes into a turbine to make EU, and that will output steam, so you can get 3x the amount of power than normal steam. It takes twice the amount of heat to make though.

So I just can not figure out how to get this hooked up. I have the steam generator full of steam and it is spewing it into the air, and next to it I put the turbine and inserted a blade, but it just sits there. At one point I had it apparently sending the steam through to a condenser on the other side, but not generating any eu, and it said its output was blocked. How do you connect them up?

• Official Post

You place the turbine and insert a blade into it. You then add a condenser touching any of the free faces of the turbine. The steam generator will auto-eject steam into the turbine, and the turbine will auto eject some into the condenser, which will make distilled water. You'll want to pipe or fluid ejector upgrade it out, so there is room for more to be made, otherwise you'll get the steam venting from the steam generator (which is bad BTW). The turbine will get distilled water in it too (which if you don't pump out, will block it), so you'll want to either pipe or fluid ejector upgrade it out too. The turbine needs a kinetic generator touching it's circular side (the one which faces you if you wrench any other side) and it is that kinetic generator which will make EU.

I see this too much.