• At the start of my new survival i tried out the new wind power mechanic using kinetic wind tirbines and a kinetic generator. I quickly crafted a carbon wind turbine and built myself a tall tower and like 150 long HV cable up into the sky. The first problem i encountered was finding enough wind for my turbine and my first question is this, is higher better with the new wind turbines or is 160 blocks the sweet spot like iv'e read somewhere?

Finally i managed to get the turbine running at around 230 height and it worked nicely for quite some time as a early energy source. However sometimes it stopped working due to the natural variation in wind so at times the kinetic wind generator would stop. This is all fine and well but over time the amount of time it had to little wind increased untill the turbine stopped working alltogether. it was as if the wind turbine had "consumed" all the wind in this location. Could someone comfirm this cause if that is the case the wind turbines would constantly need to be moved to produce any power, and using a lot of wind power would be out of the question.

Spwnx, im counting on you ;)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

• Top of the world it is then.
    Thats weird cause i have not been able to make it work for a very long time, like hundreds of in game days. Ive tried several heights (160. 200 and 250) with both carbon and steel blades and all i get is that it complains that it does not have enough wind. I don't think it even worked during rainstorms. It worked when i first built it but then again that was a few updates ago. i'm a bit sad it does not work cause it's probably among the easiest and cheapest ways of producing power in IC2 right now and the only running cost is coal.

Also, do you know if there is any difference in wind strenght between biomes?

Picture of the setup
    http://prntscr.com/4rq18m

I flew around with an angel block to test the wind in the different biomes around my base to see if i could find any system for how it worked. I tested the wind generator at 120, 140, 160, 180, 200 and 245 and i found some nice results. I never got it to work at 245, it seems there is almost no wind at this height. The highest winds where at 160 and i had similar wind speeds at +- heights from 160. So 140 was similar as 180 and 120 with 200. I did this at about 6 different spots with about 150 blocks between over about 2 ingame days. each test took about 1 minute so wind speeds shouldnt have had time to change much. All tests showed the same result.

The carbon turbine still wouldnt work at 160 height around my base thought, i think it might be due to the big redwood tree beside it as it is only about 20-30 blocks away from the turbine. And at the heights where im above the reedwood tree there is no wind due to height.

Spwnx, do you know how large of an area around itself the new wind turbine checks for wind?

Edit: it was the tree. I cut it down and now it works just fine. 160 seems to be the sweet spot

http://prntscr.com/4rqs8g

FYI cutting down a redwood tree take A LOT of time :P

Edited 4 times, last by Blackpalt ().

• Official Post

Spwnx, do you know how large of an area around itself the new wind turbine checks for wind?

I'm pretty sure it's either the radius of the blades cubed, or squared. Thunderdark mentioned it when they were added a few months back.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• What about the amount of space it needs? I know it's more than just the rotor blade, I place 2 back to back and neither functioned, but I moved one up a few blocks and they both worked

Now you see me, now you don't...

• im using version 2.2.646 on the latest version of bevo's techpack.

Ive increased my windpower a bit and i have to say it works extremly well. Quite cheap to make actually.

My current setup looks like this. http://prntscr.com/4rrf5g and i have 4 wind turbines, however i can easily expand that.

The middle row is at 160 and the upper and lower is at 171 and 149.

Anyone know if the wind turbines are affected by direction or could you place wind turbines on both sides? If thats the case i could place 18 wind turbines with just that setup. That is something like 1300-1500 or so eu/tick on avarage and it's like a bazzilion times cheaper and easier to make than nukes. they only cost like 50 ish iron, a bit of copper and tin for both the kinetic wind generator and kinetic generator. and then ofc the wind turbine is 9 steel and 288 coal powder. They do get consumed after a while but i havent been able to break even one of them, they last for a really long time. It's very easy to start with, you only need the basic machines and you got several tiers of rotors so you can quite easily make them after your initial setup with generators.

I wish wind power was that good in real life :)

Edit: You can only place the wind power in one direction, so the setup above fits 9 wind turbines

Edited once, last by Blackpalt ().

• Official Post

My current setup looks like this. http://prntscr.com/4rrf5g

Are you on single or multi-player? I'd not want to live near a structure like that :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• You actually dont see it from the ground, and usually even if you are a bit up it is still shrouded by the clouds so its no so bad as you might think.

If the neighbours start complaining then i'le just tell them that we all have to make some sacrifices for the good of the enviroment!