New Image Naming System

• Official Post

Since the size of the block/item images are changing, I had some ideas for changing the system for image naming.

• 16x16 used in the navigation - File:*name*.png
    • 32x32 used for crafting grids - File:Grid *name*.png
    • Random sizes meant to be for showing the icon on pages - File:*name* ig.png

But, with the new system, I decided we could keep the old 32x32 images for historical stuff. The versions can be reverted to pre-experimental so the classic pages make sense. Mainly as I can't be bothered to get all the old images to update them. 10 points for laziness! This does cast an issue on what the new 48x48 images are named, as I'm not renaming all the 32x32 ones to something else. Possible options:

• File:*name* 48.png (which is what they get dumped as)
    • File:Grider *name*.png (a lazy and probably confusing option)
    • File:*name* Grid.png (reversing it would work, but again could get confusing)

Any other suggestions would be nice, as those are just ideas, and nothing has been done that can't be changed to work with a new system.
    If anyone has any other ideas generally about the wiki too I'd be happy to hear them, the wiki has been lacking large, new ideas for a long time. Feanturi never should have left :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• How about File:*name* grid 48 for 48x48 images, File:*name* grid 32 for 32x32 images, and so on, like so.
    For files not used in crafting grid display, name could be File:*name* 48 for 48x48 images, etc.

For example:
    would be named RE_Battery_Grid_32
    would be named Reactor_Chamber_Grid_32

• Official Post

Imo the names should be derivable from in-game names, so they can be exported directly, like my dump subcommand already does.

The dump command uses Sprite_modId_displayName_imageSize, but this scheme can suffer from conflicting names.

Maybe something like Sprite_modId_untranslatedName_metaData_imageSize may work better, but meta data is being abstracted away in MC 1.8 and 1.9.

• Official Post

Player's idea makes sense from a texture dumping view, but does have the issue that the icon names would have to be worked out so that they showed the correct name, but would link to a completely different file name. Doing this seems unnecessary when we're really not that short on textures for everything at this point, and there'd need to be a lot of deep changes to how the items are shown.

Seg's makes sense from a logical view, but would involve renaming everything that we already have, granted that'd have to be done for Player's solution too.

Looking at it however, the wiki seems to scale down the 48x48 images to the current 32x32 crafting grids much better than I'd expected, so we'll probably just keep with having images named Grid_*name*.png, just uploading 48x48 in the future rather than 32x32 that most of them currently use. Having old block images as well as new ones still raises an issue for naming overlapping (so Machine -> Basic Machine Casing is fine, but Diamond Drills wouldn't), but having Grid_*name_Old.png would fix this, and I guess I can be lazy and keep those as 32x32, unless I find the time to manually dump all the old textures 48x48.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.