breeding really good sugar

• I want a compact way to feed the recycler, so I figure I should try and max out (or at least push it till the harvester can't keep up), what the the general strategy for improving a stat rather than getting a new crop?

Once I have a good seed, can I duplicate it, or do I need to be breeding huge number at once?

• Official Post

Just breed reed + reed + cropnalyzer until you have seeds with 21/31/any. {crop growth >23 = weed everywhere}

A good seed can be "duplicated" as the crop resultant stats from a crossbreed is the average from the parents with a variation of -2 to +2.

For example a crossbreed of a crop with 10/10/10 and another with 20/20/20 would result in a 15/15/15 +-2 (from 13/13/13 to 17/17/17).

Just keep breeding your higher stat crops with other higher stat crops as they come out and sort them.

• Official Post

reeds are a low tier crop. It wouldn't require much nutrients, however for other crops you may need:
    4 dirt blocks deep farmland , a decent biome (forest, swamp and alike), skylight and a decent height (well, higher the better, caps at 128 ).

• I will remember that for trying to expand some of the metal producers I'm getting at random. Mutants seem a lot easier than I remember.

• Does crop-matron hydration do any good for crops that are already hydrated by nearby water? And what is the difference between using a "hydration cell" vs water cell vs pumped in?

• Thank you. I had skipped crop-matron on the big sugar patch I set up for my recycler>mass fab, it'll be interesting to see the change it provides.