Mining Laser should be made out of Carbon

• For 2 reasons:

1. Its tier 3 (Nano), wich is mostly carbon and Energy Crystals

2. The Texture is very blackish.

Correction of 1: Well Carbone and Advanced Alloy have the same tier since they are required at the same time (Adv machines), so that makes no sence.
    Correction of 2: What if a Texturepack make it greyish when the recipe require carbon? Then you have the same reasons for the other side.

• Composite plating makes more sense on the basis of the fact that it is a high operating temperature, designed to accelerate bursts of radiation through a crystalline redstone medium. Carbon nanotubes are a lot lighter and rather tough, and in the world of ic2 a very good conductor of energy shields, however, carbon based materials for the most part are notoriously bad for containing mining level heat dissipation. It's a similar reason to why none of the reactor components are carbon plate, that i'm aware of at least.

• Not really, as carbon is the most heat resistant material + that's why it's still used in advanced machine casings ;P

*Crystalline redstone-diamond medium ^^

Also, it's not only tough but also very hard, so I would see it as a material for the laser ^^

My suggestion, why not use both ?