Gregtech 5u tech tiers EU x Speed ratio setting

• Hi guys,
    So, in G5, each machine tier higher increases speed x2 and Eu consuption x 4, right?
    Well, I didn't liked this quadruple raise, what would be the best way to adjust this, to keep the ratio as 2xSpeed 2xEu?

I didn't found the Eu usage on the configs, but I know i can adjust the generators efficience.
    So to correct this, should I double each gerenators efficience on the config to correct that?
    Ex.: Steam generator from 66%, 50%, 40% to 66%, 132%, 264%?
    Or that would unbalance the game in a way I'm not predicting?

Thanks for your time!

• Official Post

So, in G5, each machine tier higher increases speed x2 and Eu consuption x 4, right?
    Well, I didn't liked this quadruple raise, what would be the best way to adjust this, to keep the ratio as 2xSpeed 2xEu?

It's a double rise. Speed x2 = Half as long. Half x 4 = 2.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Efficiency is a multiplier that is applied during the energy generation to consume more or less fuel.
    The high tier versions of the generator simply consume way more fuel to produce more energy, while also being less efficient.

Steam efficiency of 100% (other mods) : uses 2 mB of steam to produce 1 EU

Steam efficiency of 66% (basic steam turbine) : uses 3 mB (2/0.66) of steam to produce 1 EU
    A basic steam turbine consumes 102 mb/t (32*3 + 2*3) of steam to produce 32 EU/t

Steam efficiency of 50% (adv steam turbine) : uses 4 mB (2/0.5) of steam to produce 1 EU
    An adv steam turbine consumes 528 mb/t (128*4 + 4*4) of steam to produce 128 EU/t
    ---
    Steam efficiency of 200% (config): uses 1 mB (2/2) of steam to produce 1 EU
    If it were a basic steam turbine, it would consume 34 (32*1 + 2*1) mB/t of steam to produce 32 EU/t
    If it were an adv steam turbine, it would consume 132 (128*1 + 4*1) mB/t of steam to produce 128 EU/t

Steam efficiency of 400% (config): uses 0.5 mB (2/4) of steam to produce 1 EU
    If it were a basic steam turbine, it would consume 17 (32*0.5 + 2*0.5) mB/t of steam to produce 32 EU/t
    If it were an adv steam turbine, it would consume 66 (128*0.5 + 4*0.5) mB/t of steam to produce 128 EU/t

• Hi Choco,
    You are affimarting what I said, right? That machines halves the process time each tier (working 2x faster) and consuming 4x more eu to do so.

SpwnX,
    Thanks for math.

A question:
    You said: "An adv steam turbine consumes 528 mb/t (128*4 + 4*4) of steam to produce 128 EU/t"
    So (X * Y + Z * Y), where:
    X is the Eu/ T (128 );
    Y is the consuption (4mb);
    Z is what? You used 2 in the first formula, 4 on the second. Tier exponential progression? 2, 4, 8...?

And if a 66% turbine uses 3mb per Eu, why not consumes only 96mb per 32eu, instead of 102mb? Where comes from the last (Z * Y) ?

• Official Post

You are affimarting what I said, right? That machines halves the process time each tier (working 2x faster) and consuming 4x more eu to do so.

You were suggesting it uses 4x EU in the end, when it's only doubling it. Reducing it to 2x Speed for 2x EU means it takes the same amount of EU, but works twice as quick.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I agree with the concerns here in principal...Greg broke a bad game design principal by mixing up the notions of overclocking (a lateral-improvement) and upgrading (a linear improvement). The result is....that improved tech in GT is in fact completely stupid. GregTech Intergalactical's business revolves around somehow making machines progressively less efficient.

That said, there's not a lot you can do about it without undertaking a massive overhaul. For instance, you can't just reduce the amount of power the machines draw because you'd have to make changes to how LV, MV, HV etc work.

You could consider speeding things up further, but by the top-tiers, machines are already running stupidly fast in a lot of cases. There's not enough room for improvement.

The "simplest" solution, with a massive number of quotation marks, would be to improve "yields" on all machines as you go up the tiers. And even this is essentially a deal-breaker: nobody wants to design all those yield improvements, nevermind code them.

• Official Post

Z is the internal loss on the generator transfer (this also applies to transformers and battery buffers!), which is compensated by using a bit more fuel in this case.

Z = 2^tier of machine (2 for LV, 4 for MV, 8 for HV, 16 for EV ...)

• Z is the internal loss on the generator transfer (this also applies to transformers and battery buffers!), which is compensated by using a bit more fuel in this case.

Z is the internal loss on the generator transfer (this also applies to transformers and battery buffers!), which is compensated by using a bit more fuel in this case.

Increasing Z would also sorta solve the op's problem, but a lot of the recipe energy costs assume Z won't ever be higher than it currently is. For instance, any recipe that costs 30 (32?) eu/t would probably have to be lowered.

• So... I'm not following you anymore, lol

I was looking for an easy way to compensate the amount of energy required each tier, by doubling the energy production, because is easily done on the config (I assume).

Also, SpwnX said Z is the internal loss. How increasing would solve the problem?