Questions about kinetic water generator

• I'm currently looking into the kinetic water generator, and it seems there isn't much documentation on it... And what I can find isn't very useful.
    I'm using IC2 with Biomes OP installed.
    A) What determines the strength of the current for the kinetic water generator? Placing it near the surface of a Vanilla ocean and placing it near the bottom of a Vanilla ocean seems to have no effect.
    B) Does it ONLY check for Vanilla rivers/oceans? I've only had it max out with an iron rotor at 1-2KU/t, only in a Vanilla ocean. Kelp forest doesn't give me anything--although the UI doesn't tell me that I've placed in an incorrect spot, which some documentation tells me it should--, coral reefs (reeves?) don't give anything... etc.

• Official Post

The strength is a combination of how close the nearest biome change is and how many obstructions (ie not water blocks) there are around the rotor. There's also a slightly random nerf to ones in rivers.

As for the biome checks, it does them twice, but differently (as the code for the kinetic water generator is far from pretty to say the least). The logic for whether the biome is valid for the GUI and whether to even try produce energy uses the biome dictionary, whilst the logic for finding the nearest biome change (and hence a large chunk of the overall output) checks if it's a vanilla ocean, deep ocean or river. Next build I push (which will probably be #92 unless I'm beaten to it) should resolve that issue at least so that it works with any mod's biomes that count as an ocean or river.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• So to get the maximum output, I want to put it somewhere in the middle? Instead of towards the top or bottom?
    It doesn't tell me that it can't produce power in the BiomesOP sections, but it also doesn't seem to produce any power. But, given the information you just gave me regarding how much power it's supposed to output... maybe that was part of the issue.
    Thanks for the quick reply :D