Make EU Splitable from IC2

• Stupid suggestion. Just want to know what you think about this (IC2Team).

What about making a seperate mod that will provide the Enet & only the Enet to other mods. That means something like Uncomplication.
    But that would allow people to make use out of EU as main Powersource without forcing IC2 as requirement.

To be honest. I like & dislike the idea... For multible reasons... But i would like to know your opinien on that one.

• Official Post

As an idea it's not bad, as it would make supporting EU much easier. But, in doing so, you end up exposing EU to the same flaws that RF ended up with. IC2 sets the balance of EU by what it's own generators make, and it's own machines use. Without IC2 doing that, mods using EU could do whatever they wanted, leading for the potential power creep of the other non-mod backed power systems face. IC2 is a fairly unobtrusive mod on it's own, so if people really wanted to use EU only they'd end up being designed around it anyway.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Power creep should never be something to aspire to.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Make definitive guide and tables what amounts of energy should be consumed by machines & produced by generators. Perhaps, there would be list of energy usage for each level of machines (e.g. 1eU/t for LV, 16 eU/t for MV and so on).
    If mods will have something like (4 * EuValues.LV_MACHINE_USAGE) that, it decreases possibilities of power creep for machines and simple generators, imho; but I think high-end machines and generators would still have overvalued tier and generation.
    We could only hope that modders working with Eu would be competent...

If it were a mod, it should have its own config. The config should contain base values or multipliers for energy generation, production and conversion rates.

And if you so afraid of power-creep, allow to multiply energy production per tile. So for example, if I would want to decrease wind generator production, I could go in config and write something like this:

Code
    ic2:windmill, 0.25;

and that will protect server from awful glass of awful fibre columns of awfully big height with awfully awful generators on top.

His Superior Darkness Earl Cat blesses everybody who reads this with aroma of catnip and bergamot. :Industrial Diamond:

• Official Post

All the tables and suggestions in the world are no use if a mod dev chooses to ignore them. And whilst a global config to change a generator's output could work, it's not going to help performance at all if it's having to check every single tile to see if it's had a modifier applied.

You can never presume things about modders using EU being sensible because the exact same logic was applied to RF and yet we're in the situation we're in now. The simplest way to keep the balance is to have solid defaults, which is what IC2 adds itself.

I see this too much.

• Encapsulate energy values in object, that can only be created through factory method. There in factory check config and return adjusted value if needed. In all API use these objects for energy capacity & generation. Keep track of returned objects to modify them when config is changed through GUI.

For generators without stable output, like nuclear reactor or windmills, add static method that doesn't create config entry or creates boolean value to disable this thing at all.

Same can be done for energy tiers or heat generation-consumption of reactor rods.

Some quickly written example: https://gist.github.com/Reosea…ffcd28ba0efa5c260b189d11c

His Superior Darkness Earl Cat blesses everybody who reads this with aroma of catnip and bergamot. :Industrial Diamond: