Fluid handling

• Hey,

I tried using ic2 with integrated tunnels to transport fluids around and noticed it doesn't work. So I started to wonder, how does ic2 handle fluids? Does it use some kind of fluid api provided by forge or does it have its own system? Since buildcraft is out for 1.10 I'm looking for fluid pipes and the ones I picked just don't work. The problem most likely is, that ic2 machines such as tanks and pumps just aren't recognized as containing a fluid tank in them and so they aren't working. I did have to use EnergySynergy to get the pipes to transport ic2 compatible energy because it only uses capabilities, not interfaces as I was told ic2 uses. I think the fluid incompability has a similar cause.

Daenara

EDIT: Seems I got the wrong subforum, should be in IndustrialCraft² not here. I thought General Discussions was a subforum of IndustrialCraft²

• Official Post

IC2 handles fluid the way Forge has handled it for years, implementing IFluidHandler. As a result of the capability system however, that's gone completely in 1.11 so porting will be fun. In the mean time however, other mods for 1.10 have forgotten this, and act as if it's already gone. IC2 has lots of elaborate code to handle all these situations (as the same happens with inventories, IInventory being forgotten in favour of the item capability), because we're kind like that. I think the only scenario that things don't still work is when other mods look for the fluid capability on IC2 machines, because unlike machines that have inventories, there's no single class all the fluidy machine use. I'll add a good enough work around for it soon, the situation will resolve itself by 1.11+ anyway.

As for power, EU isn't RF, Tesla, Forge Energy or anything of the like. You've always needed other mods to convert to and from it, and things are no different now. The only difference is that the way Tesla and Forge Energy are implemented allow the converting to be a little less intrusive, in terms of needing special blocks or cables at least.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Okay, then it's as I thought with fluids, it's not your fault, I just wanted to know why that is. If there is a workaround in the future I will be happy.

As for the energy. I didn't want to convert it, just transport it over an alternate network. That works with nearly any other mod using energy since they use capabilities, but because of the interfaces not ic2. So I had to convert it to forge energy to get it over this network. I don't like to place to many cables and if there is a cable to transport items, that can transport energy too, why put another cable for energy there?

Daenara

• Official Post

That works with nearly any other mod using energy since they use capabilities, but because of the interfaces not ic2.

It's nothing to do with that, it's because nearly every other mode uses RF. Which for the record doesn't even use capabilities either. Ever since Tesla and Forge Energy emerged mods are supporting some of the 3, and the most common ones (like EnderIO or RF Tools) support all 3 and will seemlessly convert between them. From the user's point of view they see nothing different, probably because fundamentally they're not.

I don't like to place to many cables and if there is a cable to transport items, that can transport energy too, why put another cable for energy there?

Because the cable isn't transporting the same energy the same way. IC2 cables have loss (unless most others, with exceptions like Immersive Engineering) and have tiers, whilst most mods just have a transfer cap and will output the same as they're given, no matter the distance.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• It's nothing to do with that, it's because nearly every other mode uses RF. Which for the record doesn't even use capabilities either. Ever since Tesla and Forge Energy emerged mods are supporting some of the 3, and the most common ones (like EnderIO or RF Tools) support all 3 and will seemlessly convert between them. From the user's point of view they see nothing different, probably because fundamentally they're not.

Well the author of the mod told me that the only reason he didn't support was, that it didn't use capabilities, therefore my guess was, that all the others do use capabilities. He told me that it's complicated to implement EU because it wouldn't work alongside the other energies and he would need to implement a separate item (or items) for it.

Because the cable isn't transporting the same energy the same way. IC2 cables have loss (unless most others, with exceptions like Immersive Engineering) and have tiers, whilst most mods just have a transfer cap and will output the same as they're given, no matter the distance.

Well, I never really encountered energy loss. I use fiber since I have access to it and always use a energy buffer between longer distances. I don't have power tiers the way I use it right now, but that's just because the way I converted energy makes them obsolete. I wouldn't have any problem if there was loss and power tiers in the pipe/cables I use, I just don't want to take up more space than necessary with cables. If I could use them like in reality, put two cables together, then I would but using three whole blocks for the cables the whole way if I need items, fluids and energy somewhere just i way to different to transporting all over the same cable (not realistic, I know but I visualize that as a pipe with cables next to it) and only different outputs to the block I need it. I don't think placing more than one cable in a block will ever happen, at least not for cables from different mods so I have to save the space somewhere else.

Daenara

• Official Post

Well the author of the mod told me that the only reason he didn't support was, that it didn't use capabilities

Just out of curiosity: what mod author was that?
    While IC2 and its E-net don't use capabilities, they use a system, that is at least as dynamic as capabilities, that does not require adding functionality statically through an interface, like RF does. Supporting the IC2 way of energy tranfer is not more or less complex, than supporting capabilities. It's mainly just different.

• From what i saw about that mod. Its not a good one. Instead of using the API how its supposed to be used its just hack into IC2Machines and just hopes for the best that it will get the EnergyData.
    Its unstable and not compatible with addons if they dont use the core classes and its not a good idea to use that mod at all...

If you want a mod that supports RF=EU conversion properly how it is supposed to be here is one:
    https://minecraft.curseforge.c…=mc-mods&projectID=251121

• What I have noticed while playing around with a few pipe mods and the fix is, that the crop matron won't work with pipes. My guess would be because of the two tanks it contains. I asked the developer of one of the pipes mods about it and he said they support multiple tanks in general so I think it's an ic2 thing. Is that intended behavior or did I stumble on a bug?

EDIT: sorry, I should have read the changelog first, seems to be fixed (haven't tried thought)