Gregtech machines

• The slot with the lightning bolt allows batteries. The slot to the right is for a data orb/stick, but only a few machines actually make use of it: the scanner, the replicator, and the printer (though there might be others that I've forgotten). I'm guessing the slot remains there for other machines because that was easier than customizing the bottom row for every machine. Machines with no output tank still have a fluid auto-output button, and even GT steam machines also have active areas at the locations of the fluid/item auto-output buttons, even though steam machines aren't capable of auto-output (since the output face has to be kept clear for venting "used" steam)

• The slot with the lightning bolt allows batteries. The slot to the right is for a data orb/stick, but only a few machines actually make use of it: the scanner, the replicator, and the printer (though there might be others that I've forgotten). I'm guessing the slot remains there for other machines because that was easier than customizing the bottom row for every machine. Machines with no output tank still have a fluid auto-output button, and even GT steam machines also have active areas at the locations of the fluid/item auto-output buttons, even though steam machines aren't capable of auto-output (since the output face has to be kept clear for venting "used" steam)

I have tried putting batteries in the lightning bolt slot.. full or empty, GT or IC2, they did nothing. How are they supposed to work?

• 1. The batteries have to be the correct tier (too low, and they won't work; too high, and they probably risk blowing up the machine)
    2. The slot can also recharge batteries and electric tools, so a full battery in a machine connected to a power supply won't have an obvious effect. However, an empty battery in that situation will recharge (though this might not be immediately obvious). Alternatively, a full battery in a machine that isn't hooked up to an external power source will allow it to operate from the battery (although if the operation requires more than the battery holds, or more than one amp, such as arc furnace or thermal centrifuge recipes, it won't complete the operation). If you stick the full battery into the machine without attempting to operate the machine, the effect might not be obvious.

• 1. The batteries have to be the correct tier (too low, and they won't work; too high, and they probably risk blowing up the machine)
    2. The slot can also recharge batteries and electric tools, so a full battery in a machine connected to a power supply won't have an obvious effect. However, an empty battery in that situation will recharge (though this might not be immediately obvious). Alternatively, a full battery in a machine that isn't hooked up to an external power source will allow it to operate from the battery (although if the operation requires more than the battery holds, or more than one amp, such as arc furnace or thermal centrifuge recipes, it won't complete the operation). If you stick the full battery into the machine without attempting to operate the machine, the effect might not be obvious.

Ahhh alright, it was just the tier of the battery that I had wrong. Thanks a lot! :)