Posts by MauveCloud

Looking at circuits, I just noticed something else: there doesn't seem to be a way to produce Bisphenol A (NEI only shows me the recipe for getting it into or out of a cell with a fluid canner). Maybe I'm missing an "optional" mod that would make it obtainable, and it isn't a big deal, since all it seems to be used for is making more phenolic circuit boards per wood pulp than with glue (and it's not like wood pulp and glue are all that hard to obtain in significant quantities). Or is it something that was planned to be taken further but not fully implemented?

Wait, I thought the Forestry Electric Engine still does RF, instead of the MJ that the latest BuildCraft has gone back to. There are some other options mentioned in another thread. Chocohead's proof-of-concept mod is probably your best bet at the moment. The one I had mentioned (ModernConverters) apparently now has MJ conversion disabled, and NuclearCraft's description page has nothing to indicate it supports BuildCraft MJ.

once you get close to radioactive items like uranium, iridium or anything else like a reactor

I can understand this for uranium (even though technically the ore blocks and some of the other forms of uranium don't trigger the "radiation" effect if handled without a hazmat suit), but I'm not so sure this makes sense for detecting iridium (as far as I can find, naturally-occurring iridium is stable) or reactors (they're shielded with lead)

I've got pre5 running (aside from some strange issues with tile entities that I haven't figured out - sometimes exposed GT ores are blank until I stand next to them for a few seconds, and sometimes when I get back home from exploring, some of my JABBA barrels are blank, or some of my GT machines are pink and black, or some of my IC2 crop sticks are unexpectedly empty until I exit to menu and re-enter the world)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, you are correct about the voltage requirements for building circuits even in pre5, but I haven't figured out the logic behind having the mainframe be the only circuit really in the HV range for making.

I looked at the other components that use iron bars in their recipes, and they had the iron counts double what they should be for those iron bars. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe I was looking at the GregTech 5 crafting recipe for iron bars (6 iron rods to 8 iron bars, and if I make the rods by using a file instead of in the lathe or extruder, they take a full ingot each, but that's wasting iron, and by the time a GT5 player is ready to build a nuclear reactor, more material-efficient ways to make iron rods (and iron bars) should be available.

Also, we may have some iron bars already in our inventory before our first reactor! I don't think that there's any way to accommodate that.

Considering that iron bars are required for the scuba helmet that is part of the complete hazmat suit, I'd be surprised if you didn't, come to think of it.

Anyway, material counts should be fixed in v2.2.1.

Speaking of code, I noticed that placing a single Heat Vent increases causes the tool to say "10 iron" for the costs, but from what I can tell, it only costs 8.5 iron, and always has only cost 8.5 iron.

As far as I count, you need 1.5 iron for the iron bars, 4 iron for the plates, and 3 iron for the electric motor, making a total of 8.5.

I agree that 10 iron is incorrect, and I'm not sure quite where that came from - in August 2015 I changed the planner to show raw materials instead of components (as requested earlier in this thread), and if I had goofed and thought iron bars were 1:1 with iron ingots, that would have led to a recipe of 11 iron instead of 10. However, your total of "8.5 iron" is ignoring the fact that iron bars have to be crafted in batches of 16 (from 6 iron). If I changed the planner to calculate the iron cost of a heat vent as 8.5, designs with heat vent counts of 1, 5, 9, 13, etc. would undercount the effective iron requirements by 4.5. I haven't figured out how to deal with this yet.

I'm aware of that one, it was a possible alternative to going whole-hog for Modular Powersuits. I wasn't sure how current the mod was, since it's something Mauve Cloud made several years ago, and he's not currently playing.

Um, if I'm reading this post correctly, you seem to be crediting me with writing either Gravisuite or Modular Powersuits (it's not entirely clear which you mean). I did not write (or even contribute to) either mod.

1. Have you tried running Forge by itself, to make sure it's really IC2 causing it?

2. Are you using Java 9 or higher? Forge is known to not support that, at least until the upcoming 1.13 builds (and will crash without a log if you try, so this could easily be what you're running into). I haven't found indications of whether there are plans to backport Java 9+ support to Forge for older MC versions later.

For me, it was mainly the "no guis, do everything with in-world interactions" philosophy that Greg seems to be using now that kept me away from GT6. The ranges of RU/KU/HU/whatever shown for the different machines in NEI don't exactly help in making me think it's "simpler" and something to switch to if I thought GT5 was too complex - I'm confused by ShumnayaBulka's logic in making that switch. Sort of a moot point in my case, since I've switched to MC 1.12 with other mods for now (and I might play MC 1.13 vanilla for a bit after it officially releases)

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

This one's pretty simple. You need to allocate more memory to Minecraft. I think doing that for a server is a little different than doing it for a single-player game, but it shouldn't be too hard to Google for how to do that.

Operating System: Windows 7 (x86) version 6.1

Java Version: 1.8.0_141, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode, sharing), Oracle Corporation

Memory: 96684480 bytes (92 MB) / 259522560 bytes (247 MB) up to 259522560 bytes (247 MB)

JVM Flags: 0 total;

Based on these lines, I'd say you're running 32-bit Java, and 247 MB allocated is really tight for trying to run modded Minecraft. I strongly recommend running 64-bit Java if you can. What other mods are you planning to add? Perhaps I can come up with an estimate of how much memory you should allocate.

MrEyeballs29 presuming you have the necessary permissions to install browser plugins, you could do that (and automatically hide the words for yourself, and anyone viewing your computer) instead of trying to persuade Greg to change his habits. For Firefox, I very quickly found one called "Advanced Profanity Filter", and if you're using a different browser, I expect you could still find something similar.

I wish there were a tool to remove paint, or just that machines would forget their color when picked up, like cables do.

There is such a tool. It's called a water bucket. I don't usually paint my machines, so there might be things that could interfere that I don't know about, but I found the place in the code where it checks for it:

https://github.com/Blood-Asp/G…MetaTileEntity.java#L1261

:( oil drilling rigs (or at least the fields they drill) were nerfed somewhere along the line. They require MV power at least now (even for the lowest tier oil rig - the higher tiers drill several chunks at once, but with the same effective speed), and last I checked, there was only about a 26% of getting an oil or raw oil field that could even produce enough to break even (presuming you process the oil into light fuel and use it to power the oil rig). 22% with light oil. If you want to get double the energy you used for drilling, that's 14% with oil (maybe called "crude oil" now, not sure) or raw oil, and 10% with light oil.

There is a still-open bug about it here: https://github.com/Blood-Asp/GT5-Unofficial/issues/1238

A few months ago, I looked at the different fuel types, but not just at their fuel values, also at how fast I could produce them, depending on whether I had only LV single block machines for processing or multiblocks such as the distillation tower. Pre-distillation tower, light fuel wins out (I usually used oilsands ore, but I think oil berries would also work, if you're willing to take the time to breed some). After the distillation tower is craftable (and especially once the pyrolyse oven is craftable), methane is more attractive, since it looks fairly easy to make it renewable from crops (and water). Admittedly, GT5u makes the Crop Harvester recipe harder by default now, but if you have another way of automating a crop farm, such as a Forestry multifarm, you can use that.

As far as I know from my old GT5 Days, you can create new large veins in order to make it possible to disable all small ores. And every small Ore should have a large Ore equivalent too.

Yes, I'm fairly sure custom ore veins are still possible, and I agree with the idea that there ought to be large ores to match the small ores. However, looking at the default configs, I see the following small ores that iirc don't automatically get large ores for them:

• Amber (the material was disabled by default for a few builds if Thaumcraft is not installed, but the GitHub issue says FixedInDev, so I'm not sure whether pre4 includes the fix)
    • Amethyst
    • Bismuth
    • Blue Topaz
    • Fool's Ruby
    • Red Garnet
    • Yellow Garnet
    • Jasper
    • Opal
    • Saltpeter
    • Tanzanite
    • Topaz
    • Zinc

I’m not sure why you’re suprised the macerator requires diamonds. GT5U macerators (all flavors) have required diamonds for as long as I can recall. That the lathe now requires them was an unpleasant surprise.

Sorry, I thought you were saying it specifically needed industrial diamonds (even for the LV-tier versions of those two machines), and that normal diamonds wouldn't work. It looks to me like either kind will work for the LV macerator and lathe. Looking at the FTB Wiki page history, I don't think it's new for the lathe to require a diamond - the page from 2 September 2014 shows a diamond in the recipe, and that predates Blood Asp's fork.

Compressed coal balls can only be made in the assembler.

In a test instance with only the following mods (and I even deleted the files in the config folder to force them to refresh):

Code
    1. 1.7.10\CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.138-universal.jar
    2. ic2\EJML-core-0.26.jar
    3. CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.7.47-universal.jar
    4. NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.5.120-universal.jar
    5. gregtech-5.09.32pre4.jar
    6. industrialcraft-2-2.2.828-experimental.jar

I can see the compressor recipe for the compressed coal ball in NEI. Perhaps you've unintentionally done something to the config files to disable it, or one of your other mods is interfering, but based on my results, I'd say you're unfair in blaming GT5u for that change.

I'm waiting for GregTech CE to be buildable into a playable-in-survival-mode state, but as far as the string requirement for cables, I seem to recall that you can use a packager to bypass that. Or once you make your assembler, you should be able to use molten rubber.

However, I just loaded up a test world with 5.09.32pre4, and looking in NEI, I can't reproduce your claims about compressed coal balls requiring the assembler or the LV macerator and lathe needing industrial diamonds. Are you sure those aren't limitations imposed by your modpack, rather than GT5u itself?