Electric Fence?

• I've been looking around for a while and I haven't found anything on this so I figured I'd post here.

Since uninsulated wire does damage, it seems to me that I should be able to build an electric fence to protect areas from mobs. However, before I begin, I want to know if cables vary in damage or not.

BTW - How do you subscribe to a thread on these forums?

• You may want to think about putting one around your entire house. Put 2-4 bat boxes or energy storage device of your choice (don't forget to hook them up to redstone for a turn off switch) hook up the energy sources to each other (with the wire that goes around your house) To compensate for energy loss, hook one of the energy sources up to some sort of energy generating device (of your choice) but make sure that you only have enough energy to compensate for the energy loss from the wires, otherwise both energy sources will fill up and won't function as an electric fence. (Also I'm not sure if this will work, I haven't touched on it much. Happy testing :D [Also... again I think it would be easier to just have a pole[made of wires] with a teslacoil on top infront of your door)

• Ive used this for PVP servers. You run it underneath their feet with a high voltage cable full to bursting, in a dark or shadowy room. This is cheaper than a tesla Coil esp when you need to run the wire anyways, just to prevent power loss insulate the cable where the mob or player cannot come into contact with it

• Ive used this for PVP servers. You run it underneath their feet with a high voltage cable full to bursting, in a dark or shadowy room. This is cheaper than a tesla Coil esp when you need to run the wire anyways, just to prevent power loss insulate the cable where the mob or player cannot come into contact with it

So higher tier cables for sure do more damage than other cable types then?

• In fact, damage depends on the current. And, yeah, higher tier cables can survive higher voltage sand therefore give a bigger punch. I suggest uninsulated HV or 1x or not insulated gold cables. I tested it and gold brought me to knees if 5 seconds or so with MV.

• I've found out the hard way that an HV transformer outputting EV over uninsulated HV cable will instakill player (not sure about with armour though).

The biggest problem I've found with electric defenses is that power will only be transmitted over a cable while something on the other end is drawing it. So, if your sending out of a HV transformer to a MFSU (or similar), the defense will only work so long as the MSFU isn't full.

So, you have to come up with a way to "loop" power around a ring, or have the MSFU turn around as start firing power back down the cable once it's full to a MSFU on the other end.

Also, the wire will only damage when a EU packet is sent through it - so especially with EV (2048EU) - you may have long delays between deadly "ticks" as the HV transformer builds up 2048 EU before firing it out down the cable. So you need to have a way to send a lot of EU/s into HV transformer so it's almost constantly sending out 2048EU packets.

• As a question on this: Is it viable to have two MSFU's each facing a HV transformer set to extreme, and set them in a loop? In theory, you charge up one MSFU with redstone so it stays full. Now when you deactivate the redstone, the device realizes "there's an empty device over there" and sends EV down the wire to the empty MSFU. The now-partially-charged MSFU then realizes "that device isn't topped off!" and sends EV through another wire and fills the first MSFU back to almost-full. This way, both MSFU's will keep sending power to each other, and the EV transformer ensures that it's sending superlethal charges. You'd be losing energy to uninsulated wire, so it would eventually wear down, but you could rather easily apply redstone to one MSFU and it would stop the flow, allowing you to refill it via crystal, and considering the loss rates and the amount of power in total, it would be a rather low loss.

Bonus points if the redstone stays active, but a pressure plate causes it to invert, thus creating on-demand zapping power when a creeper enters the perimeter.

(I can badly draw a diagram using the forum symbols if needed.)

• Actually what I'd like to see is those iron fences be electrified with that electrifier machine. Although you'd be using a constant rate of energy while there on It would be sweet to have.

Also rubber boots should make it so you don't get shocked as much from wires as they are rubber after all lol.