How do miners work?

• Hi guys, as thread title really!

I have a miner with an OV scanner and a diamond pick with a chest next to it. What does it mine? What doesn't it mine? Obviously it doesn't mine out a whole 9x9 area, as I never get 81 blocks worth of stuff, even with 9 pipe. Does it just take the good stuff? There's always a fair bit of cobblestone with it too, so I'm not sure about that..

Or could it be I'm not leaving it long enough? It's fully powered with a LV transformer right next to it, and stuff always seems to stop accumulating in the chest after a few minutes.

Cheers!

• it mine only ores. but it also mine other blocks to uncover this ores so it can mine them.
    so when you have this. it is top view. log block is stone.
    :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Uranium Ore: :Tin Ore:
    :Mining Pipe :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Rubber Log: :Copper Ore:

it mine also stone to gain access to ores. miner stop when he hit lava, water or bedrock.

• I believe how it works is....
    If there are no ores horizontal to the lowest mining pipe, it will mine one layer down.
    If there are ores that are horizontal to that pipe and within a 9x9 (or 5x5 for OD scanner), then it will mine out those ores.
    Once all the ores are mined at that level, it will mine one layer down and continue the cycle until it hits bedrock.

Anything except for ores, and other stuff that blocks the path to the ores, will not be mined. Meaning that except for the little bit of cobblestone that is in the way of the miner, it will mine practically no cobblestone.

• Official Post

I believe how it works is....
    If there are no ores horizontal to the lowest mining pipe, it will mine one layer down.
    If there are ores that are horizontal to that pipe and within a 9x9 (or 5x5 for OD scanner), then it will mine out those ores.
    Once all the ores are mined at that level, it will mine one layer down and continue the cycle until it hits bedrock.

Anything except for ores, and other stuff that blocks the path to the ores, will not be mined. Meaning that except for the little bit of cobblestone that is in the way of the miner, it will mine practically no cobblestone.

Quite this.

• Perfect, thanks a lot!

How does pipe usage work? Hypothetically the miner could eat up hundreds, depending on how pipe is laid-out/retracted while in operation.

• Is it possible for the miner to Miss ores? quite often it seems that it misses the diamonds i Know are down there
    im going to test with a "hacked" client to tell me if there is diamond bellow the miner and if it misses it then i know it can be some what inaccurate

however before i test this i would like to know if it does "miss" ores