Plasma Gasification Technology (recycler alternative)

• Plasma Gasification is a neat new real-world technology that takes any kind of trash you want to feed it and heats it to 5000+ degrees C.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_arc_waste_disposal

This turns organic compounds into gas which is largely hydrogen and carbon by volume, meaning you can burn it for power, more power than you used roasting it in the first place.

Everything that doesn't turn into flammable gas gets melted into what's called slag, which is a black solid kind of glassy brick-like substance.

So can we get one of these? Can throw anything you can throw into a recycler into the gasifier instead, and you get 5 EU/t or so + slag, which could be a dark block, maybe a little harder than stone, that I can pave my roads with.

I'm not sure if it's possible for a machine to produce both power and a product, but it seems like it would be doable.
    It should be semi-expensive, since even though it burns through input way too fast to be a primary power source, you're still getting electricity for dirt. Maybe using an advanced machine block + EDIT: generator.

Plus you'd probably want to make slag non-recyclable to prevent people getting both power and scrap from one item.

:Refined Iron: :Refined Iron: :Refined Iron:
    :Refined Iron: :Generator: :Refined Iron:
    :Refined Iron: :Advanced Machine: :Refined Iron:

Would be my suggestion. I'd have used advanced alloy instead of refined iron, but there's no smiley for it. :(

• I think this makes sense, though i think slag should also be able to be used in a mass fabricator. Thats primarily what the recycler is for anyway...

That would be kind of overpowered, pretty much replacing the recycler.
    This is mostly meant to be an alternative, that gives you power and a useful building material instead of scrapboxes and mass fab efficiency, for when you don't have mass fabs yet (or your fabs are well fed already) and you don't need gold helmets.

Reducing slag yield to 1/8 would mostly defeat that purpose.

Turn dirt and saplings and shit into stone.

Black stone. For roads and industrial-looking buildings.

• I like the idea, just need to make sure it's balanced. I mean, you get both power and a building material from one block.

• I like the idea, just need to make sure it's balanced. I mean, you get both power and a building material from one block.

Well, yeah, I mean for a stack of dirt, if it burned items at the same rate a generator burned reeds, you'd get about 8000 EU.
    Enough to keep your batpack full, but you'd still need other generators running on something more valuable.

• since your useing a recycler to make it

why not just consider it an advanced recycler

it takes the same amount of time to break an object down, but i could see slag as being useful, both as a building block, but a new mass fabricator fuel, perhaps lasting twice as long as normal scrap (another option is, perhaps if you get slag from every item, but it only lasts a 4th of the time that scrap does, overall net+ but not by much)

thats a machine i could get behind, i dont however, think that it should produce power, perhaps it just uses less power, being as other advanced machines use quite a bit of power being as they are well.. advanced

• I like the idea of producing energy that way its like burning trash, but I would say it should have a generator in its recipe, cause it produces power.

And I dont think its overpowered seeing generators can burn a bunch of things.

The slag could be combined with the idea of tar, or blacktop, I found somewhere in the suggestions.

• I like the idea of producing energy that way its like burning trash, but I would say it should have a generator in its recipe, cause it produces power.

I think that's probably a better idea. I used a recycler and everyone got the idea that it should be an advanced recycler, which wasn't my intention.

• I loved the slag idea, could use that stuff to make my industrial area look more dirty :D
    Or you could combine both recycler and generator and leave out the adv. machine, since it wont produce a lot of EU/stack keepig down the costs a bit :)

• Off topic I agree that matter is *way* too easy to get with scrap...

On topic I don't think slag should fuel mass fab BUT is should in turn be recyclable.

• Very interesting idea, I like it. The fact that one can turn items into energy it a brilliant way to deal with excess dirt piling up. :thumbup: