Need help with HV to 5+ blocks away machine

• I just set up a solar flower with a MFE so it can store energy, now I want to use my miner which is 8 blocks away and I figured that the Bat Box would be something in that 8 blocks so I can reduce the EU loss? If anyone knows how it work please tell me, much appreciated :D

• I just set up a solar flower with a MFE so it can store energy, now I want to use my miner which is 8 blocks away and I figured that the Bat Box would be something in that 8 blocks so I can reduce the EU loss? If anyone knows how it work please tell me, much appreciated :D

2 Solutions:

1) Use glass-fiber cable.
    2) MFE -> LVT (<- 3 dot side) -> Miner [Problem is, you'd need to use gold cable between the MFE and LVT so... 2 gold insulated cable x2 + LVT + 4 copper cable = 7 total distance :( You could either use glass-fiber between the MFE and LVT to get more length, or add a batbox so LVT -> Batbox -> Miner]

Additional Notes: Miners can't support Medium Voltage, so you'll need a LVT between the MFE and Miner regardless.

• 2 Solutions:

1) Use glass-fiber cable.
    2) MFE -> LVT (<- 3 dot side) -> Miner [Problem is, you'd need to use gold cable between the MFE and LVT so... 2 gold insulated cable x2 + LVT + 4 copper cable = 7 total distance :( You could either use glass-fiber between the MFE and LVT to get more length, or add a batbox so LVT -> Batbox -> Miner]

Additional Notes: Miners can't support Medium Voltage, so you'll need a LVT between the MFE and Miner regardless.

Haha thanks for helping me out! Umm... Do you know about the EU loss about all cables?

• The EU losses for all cables are in the 'cable' entry of the wiki. http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Cable

The rules for getting the best effiency are pretty simple though:

1) Use the lowest cable capable of carrying your voltage: (edits - thanks sirbrandino!)
    LV - Copper
    MV - Gold
    HV - Glass if you can afford, otherwise Iron
    EV - Iron

2) Insulate as much as possible. That's 1x for copper, 2x for gold and 4x for iron

3) Use the highest voltage available to you for distances. If you can afford it, use 2x HV transformers and 4x insulated cable for long distance. If not, use 2x MV transformers and 4x insulated iron cable.

The reason behind these principles is that even though higher end cables have higher losses, transmitting in the next higher voltage will reduce the number of 'pulses' which are attenuated.

• In reply to the post above mine, I don't recall glass fibre capable of handling EV, or anything over 512.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• It is also possible (with practice) to learn where the 'high' side of devices will be placed and thus mate it directly to the face of a different block. I do this all the time with stepdown TFs beneath floors (512 to 128 + 128 to 32); however the same trick can also be used with a boost up and boost down to rebuffer and regenerate the signal. However I still prefer to just use a batbox (for 32eU) since they're relatively cheep to make, do not take redstone, and provide a little fault tolerance related to upstream supply.

If you must use HV all the way to the machine then I'd just use the 'glass' (diamond) cable since it is lossless for 19 blocks while iron is only lossless for a single block (even at 4x insulation). The only time I'd use iron wire would be if there were no other choice, or if it's early in your development cycle and you can barely afford the HVTF but not a pair of MFS units and lapotron crystal (but it's better to wait for that).

• Batbox uses 3 batteries. Thats 6 redstone.
    So you are wrong about batbox not using redstone.

I think I meant as in a signal (EG switch/torch) and not literal redstone, but I'm not even sure since I hadn't built batboxes for a while when I'd made that post. (Then last night's login issue thing struck and I decided to start an SSP world too.... oooh joy do I know the batbox recipe now)