Linux on USB stik

• Is it possible to use USB stick as drive for linux, so creating portable workstation?

If not how can i get somethibg similar?

• It is possible. If you run Windows, there is a program called LiLi that you can install that will allow you to install a Linux distro to a USB AND install it in such a way that it allows persistence (files stored under the OS on the stick, will stay there and allow for the installing of programs without having to restart).

If you're going Linux, try UNetBootin. It won't create persistence, but it's useful if all you're looking for is like a mobile computer toolbox.

• It is possible. If you run Windows, there is a program called LiLi that you can install that will allow you to install a Linux distro to a USB AND install it in such a way that it allows persistence (files stored under the OS on the stick, will stay there and allow for the installing of programs without having to restart).

If you're going Linux, try UNetBootin. It won't create persistence, but it's useful if all you're looking for is like a mobile computer toolbox.

Thanks a lot! You saved my ass :p

• It's no problem. I have, I think... at least five different USB's with a *nix distro on them. Usually for repair of my friend's computers.

Great suggestion, I use LiLi myself, i'v done it manually before and it SUCKS, best part about LiLi is that it will even download them for you, then add in that it even makes a persistant, great great great, if you're wondering if a distro is good or not I can tell you my opinion on almost any of them that LiLi offers
    Thain (Havasushaun)

Thain (Havasushaun)
    :Uranium Ore: > :Uranium: > :Compressor: > :Uranium Ingot: >????=PROFIT :Nuke TNT:

• Great suggestion, I use LiLi myself, i'v done it manually before and it SUCKS, best part about LiLi is that it will even download them for you, then add in that it even makes a persistant, great great great, if you're wondering if a distro is good or not I can tell you my opinion on almost any of them that LiLi offers
    Thain (Havasushaun)

And, if I'm not mistaken, LiLi also packages the installed distro with a portable version of VirtualBox to run it without affecting the host OS.

• And, if I'm not mistaken, LiLi also packages the installed distro with a portable version of VirtualBox to run it without affecting the host OS.

TOTALLY forgot about that, (because I just use virutal box) yeah, with that enabled you can boot it within a Windows eviroment or boot straight from the Flash Media, hardest part about all of it is making sure your computer has USB boot enable, besides that best Linux to Flash Drive program i'v ever used

Thain (Havasushaun)
    :Uranium Ore: > :Uranium: > :Compressor: > :Uranium Ingot: >????=PROFIT :Nuke TNT:

• Stopping the quote wall now...

If the machine is in the "somewhat new" range (last 1-5 yrs), the BIOS should have the boot from flash media option in there somewhere (usually in boot priority, but I have had to turn the option on first, then change boot order)

• I use Lili myself and am very happy with it. And it really is a lot easy once you have started with it and made sure that it will boot up every single time. I was actually looking at some virtual one to run in parallel with windows though the amount of resources that will be available is just not an option if you ask me. You really have to boot it up from the flash disk to hold great speed.

• The only time I ever used unetbootin was to try to boot my old PC which got its Windows partition corrupted by a failed resize. It failed since the old BIOS hates USB drives in HDD mode - either finds nothing or hangs and frantically beeps.