Some confusion on wiring mechanics

• I'm trying to wire up a number of nuclear reactors to an MFSU storage cluster. I started with HV cables, but I'm switching over to glass fibre for higher efficiency. However, I'm trying to figure out how many nuclear reactors I can connect to a glass fibre before going over its voltage limit, and ran into some confusion trying to do the calculations.

Specifically, glass fibre cables are specced to carry 512 EU/s. My nuclear reactors each outputs 60 EU/t, and at 20 tickes per second thats 1200 EU/s. I currently have two reactors connected to a glass fibre, and my EU-reader reads the voltage as 120 EU/t. So do glass fibre cables really carry up to 512 EU/t rather than 512 EU/s?

• Thinking about it a bit more, its likely that they carry 512 EU regardless of the time frame (e.g. power vs. energy). The specification of voltage as EU/s in the wiki is somewhat misleading, and might be better labeled as simply EU.

• You can wire up endless 60 eu/tick reactors to a glassfiber cable. Why? Because the cables arent limited on how many eu/tick is going through but on how many eu there is in 1 pulse which in this case is 60. Having more reactors will increase the amount of pulses but not what every pulse carries. Its a bit like real world electrics.

• So what would be a case where wiring together multiple devices increases the EU/s cable required?

More specifically, could I have an unlimited number of MSFUs feeding into a single glass cable, where the EU/t transfered could reach infinity while not causing the glass fibre to overload?

• /cables/ have no concept of concurrent flow; only 'voltage pressure'. The largest pulse down the cable determines this pressure level.

Individual unit faces, however, do (may?) have intake limits. While you could easily arrange for 8 32eU/t sized pulses (batboxes along a glass cable), the resulting 256eU/t sourcing could not be handled by a single MFE; it wouldn't blow up but the input going to a single face would be wasted (I think; I know a machine won't take that much). An MFS unit might not have that limit.

Similarly, even tough it is quite /unlike/ the real world; where there are both voltage (due to insulation leakage) and current (due to wattage/burn up issues) limits on cables there is no limit to current. If you wanted you could build a 39 tin wire segment long cable right out from an MFE and shove 39x3 solar panels on it. The full 117 eU/t generation would reach the MFE without loss.

• So what would be a case where wiring together multiple devices increases the EU/s cable required?

More specifically, could I have an unlimited number of MSFUs feeding into a single glass cable, where the EU/t transfered could reach infinity while not causing the glass fibre to overload?

Correct, though, obviously the number wouldn't be unlimited and wouldn't approach infinity on the power output (as I'm sure your computer probably couldn't handle the load and melt down first). Not to mention the logistics of trying to connect that many MFSUs to a single glass cable.

But the cable used, just has to be able to support the highest output amongst all devices connected to it. So the only way to fry a glass cable is to hook it up to the high-voltage side of a HVT, or connect it to a single nuclear reactor that produces more then 512 EU/t.