Posts by SpeedDaemon

I haven't seen magtubes mentioned here yet. When I built the item-handling system in the lair on my server, I decided to use them pretty much everywhere. The last time I built a system like this (big factory & storage area, tubes EVERYWHERE) magtubes weren't in yet, and the lag was noticable when even a moderate number of items were coming in.

This one, the magtubes get stuff out of the system so fast, my frame quarry can dump every block in a chunk into the system in the space of 5 minutes or so with no lag at all. And that's with a factory recirculating overflow. The accelerators don't take too much blutricity, and the tubes themselves are just copper, obsidian, and glass, which I normally have too much of, anyway.

i admire your work dude, but is the nuclear reactor part of your plan?

You mean the unshielded living-dangerously CASUC one hanging out by the monument? Yeah, that was designed to give 100M EU in one run without going over 512EU/t relatively cheaply to complete that requirement.

In fact, it worked so well that I built another one you can't see behind the shop building powering all of those macerators.

If one MFSU go offline for a moment (because fully filled, for example), then other will be blown by 900 eu/t current. Just putting HVT is simpler and cheaper.
    Also, there is no "emit if half full" setting, sadly. Only useless " if partially filled"

An MFSU (or any storage, really) can handle whatever EU/t you can throw at it until it fills up, so long as no individual EU packet is larger than its tier. You don't have to worry about blowing an MFSU if one in parallel with it fills up.

What I normally do for my main energy storage is have 4 series ranks of MFSUs wired in parallel, with crossovers every so often for balance.

Don't have a pic right now, but basically:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre:
    :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre:

Power flows from left to right. You can adjust number of groups in the middle, and the number of MFSUs in the groups to suit your capacity needs. This has 2048 EU/t throughput, and the crossovers help ensure that the last rank of MFSUs stays more balanced so it can consistently output 2048. I usually won't put more than 4 MFSUs between crossovers. If you have times when you need even more than 2048 EU/t, you can make the last (or last few) ranks wider.

The crossovers are important, otherwise the game tends to pick one series to drain, which can limit your input it some fill completely, and output if some empty completely.

Hmm. I might try a little prototype setup like that on my system. It'll save me 26 filters (8 induction furnaces, 6 rotary macerators, 4 singularity compressors, 4 centrifuge extractors and 4 recyclers, each machine has 4 overclockers) and, if it works as you say, might actually eliminate bottlenecking. I'll test it out on my tin-iron alchemical production line first.

I'm thinking you won't have as much luck with this as Gregorious. He's using all standard machines, so he's got 10-20 seconds between operations on each to clear out the other machines. You have just under 13 ticks to clear out everything, so a single RP machine would have trouble keeping just two machines clear, even on a 0.4sec timer, much less 26 (would still save you 1/2 of your filters, of course).

Been playing Feed the Beast Insane... Just finished the first set of feedings, so I thought I'd post some pics.
    For anyone that hasn't done this yet, it's definitely worth a look . (You'll need the modpack from that link to load the world download)

World download (you should spawn on the platform, but if you end up in the spawn area, you'll need the Swiftwolf ring in the project table to get down without dying)

Here's an overview of my platform. Yes, that's all red matter blocks. I think it ended up costing me north of 1 billion EMC to build that, but my EMC generation is somewhere past ludicrous into plaid territory at this point...

Main shop/autocrafting area

BuildCraft power plant, assembly table, and liquid processing area.

Scrap & UUM production. Since flax seeds are only worth 4 EMC, I bleed them off of the darkroom output and use them to feed the recyclers.

Darkroom (first main EMC production that I built) top & bottom. I'm splitting the .4sec signal to double the output. I'm also stealing bonemeal and condensing it to saplings, dirt, and wheat to make biomass for my power plant.

The MooMolester. Six unfortunate cows, 5 deployers each. This whole thing generates just over 6k EMC/s. Unfortunately, I calculated that it would take over 14 hours at that rate to finish the stuff for Fires of Hell. Not acceptable!

The final stage of my EMC production... I went trolling through the EE wiki EMC values looking for a solution to my EMC generation, and came up with this: A nuclear-powered blaze rod mill that produces over 110,000 EMC/s. There are 24 rotary macerators, each with 9 overclockers, for 10 blaze powder per second. Four get used to condense another 2 rods, which nets about 4600 EMC per macerator per second.

Here is a tweak of the CASUC design that uses buckets instead of ice. It also has the same amount of passive cooling as there are recharging cells, which means it should maintain a stable heat level when the reactor and cooling system are off (makes it easier & safer to pre-heat, since you don't have to be in a hurry).

I think a mass fab is probably the only thing where you'd need that much output, but if you have a big CASUC reactor, you may need to be able to handle 2048+ input, also.

I usually spec power rooms with 4 series ranks of MFSUs wired in parallel.

You can think about it like this:
    - series: increases capacity
    - parallel: increases throughput

Yes.

The setup in your top pic can accept & output 2048 EU/t total over glass fiber cable, while the bottom is limited to 512 EU/t.

Edit: actually, the bottom can accept more, also (in 512 EU packets), up until the first MFSU is full, then it's limited to 512 EU/t input. Output is always limited to 512.

Factory time... I wandered around and found a spot out of lag range of the main house that had 3 oil geysers in the same place, and figured it was as good a spot as any for a factory. The building is slightly smaller than 3x3 chunks, so I know that anything in, on, or under it will be in range of the chunk loader. Eventually want to build a rail terminal on the roof to link up quarries and for liquid deliveries.

Overview from the inside:

Biomass production. The fermenter is set up to only run when it has everything it needs, and there's space in the tank on the roof. The bottler packages biomass into wax capsules on demand. One Forestry tree farm produces more than enough extra saplings to keep 6 biogas engines running continuously.

Automatic bee analysis and centrifugification of bee products. The TP pipe on the bottom left comes from the apiary, and analyzed bees are sent to the main house out the top. The squeezer keeps the analyzer full of liquid honey. Oil refinery in the back. Like the fermenter, it comes on automatically if it has oil and there's space in the fuel tank.

Autocrafting walls and auto-alloy furnaces. Nothing too special here, although I wish there was a way to get RP saws & drawplates to work in auto-crafting tables, since the inability to saw silicon boules into wafers kind of breaks that whole production chain.

Processing machines. The four TP pipes come from the sorting machine at the main house. Behind the red p-tube are some relays and another sorting machine that handle input from quarries and the rest of the logistics network. The four Ender chests are input from my second frame quarry, since the three relays on the normal quarry input can't handle the output (avg. 80 or so blocks/sec).

Recycling and mass fabrication. It would probably take a whole room full of recylers to keep up with my frame quarries, so once the scrap storage fills (gold chest), it opens the transposer and vents the recycler input into the energy condenser to make gold ingots, which get burned up to charge my klein star. Wood gets terminated at the coke ovens, and the resulting charcoal is terminated at supplemental generators attached to various storage blocks. Wood that doesn't fit in there, along with excess saplings, sugar cane, cactus and apples go to the EE relay for klein star charging. The mass fab is normally powered by two LV solar arrays, but a full scrap storage also triggers a splitter cable between the MF and the MFSU, which dumps power to it until there's space in the chest again.

Reactor & power room. The reactor design I'm using was posted by raGan, I think. The logic allows it to run at 200 EU/t for 15 minutes before gating it to 5 sec on/15 sec off, which slowly cools the reactor. Every 15 seconds spent off allows an additional 5 seconds of continuous run time. This setup works really well for burst-y power usage like running advanced machines or the occasional few seconds of 512EU/t output when scrap storage fills up. There's a single LV solar array that provides some power to make up for keeping 8 advanced machines spun up.

Frame door to the power room in the midst of opening and deploying the stairs.

Buildcraft engine room. Still need to update the combustion engines with gates to keep them from blowing up when the chunk loader messes up the water mechanics.

Combine SatellitePipes with a RP-Relay and viola you get a small Overflowprevention.

Unfortunately, I think a crafting module would make things worse... Logistics pipes already leak like a sieve when there's something in the machine already. I can only imagine the mayhem with multiple modules trying to use it at once. As GregoriousT said, the only way I've found of not getting my stuff all over the floor is to item-sink/satellite to a RP relay and let that handle machine insertion.

I vote for gas turbine... With the added twist that it uses EU for a few seconds to spin up to speed before it can generate.

Or maybe that it sucks up any item you drop nearby, grinds it up and spits it out the back... Unless it's explosive, which might cause "problems" :P

Cool! So you haven't done anything in TC, or you are ready to show us? Do you have a Q room yet? You house looks so retro and modernistic at the same time, it's cool! A modern layout, but the sandstone has a sharp contrast. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Funny you should mention Thaumcraft... Here's a pic from my thaumatorium:

The reason I haven't posted more pics and the reason the glass is broken are the same. In case you're wondering what a Minecraft Superfund site looks like:

Every one of those stacks of dawn totems is a separate chunk. That was over 10 stacks of silverwood logs... Don't think there are any silverwoods left anywhere except for the ones near my bases that I don't like to cut down. Unfortunately, every open surface from sea level to bedrock was tainted, so every vis crystal is, also, which means there's a lot of lingering taint charge. I've been wanting to try a new frame quarry design, so I think I'll just build it here, and scrape the whole area to bedrock. :P

Interesting note: It was spreading so fast that even IC2 nukes couldn't destroy it fast enough. 8|

I wanted to play with some SSP-only mods, so that means a new map & base build... I decided to try a new method to reduce lag in the main base area. Basically, I put the bare minimum of machinery here, and put the rest in various locations out of render range of the main house and each other, then linked them with TP pipes and Thaumcraft portals, so it still works/feels like it's all in the same place (well, mostly... the unfortunate side effect of TP pipes is that RedPower suffers a lot with the inability to maintain item coloring between areas. And they're expensive.).

Anyway, on to the screenshots.

Main house from the outside. You can see the shop through the windows (nice ocean view from the crafting area!). The wheat/flax farm on the roof is from very early in the map, and will soon be replaced by a computer/control room.

Shop area. There are half-slabs in front of the project/auto-crafting tables to allow access to the request and crafting pipes. Most of the auto-crafting is done in the factory area, but this table is handy for one-off runs of random stuff. The relay & sorting machine are the manual input and configuration for sending stuff to the factory for processing. The gold chest is the default route for Logistics Pipes, and all of the processed stuff that doesn't go to the warehouse ends up there. Standing on the pressure plate in front of the right-most project table opens access in the wall to an MFSU for charging equipment.

BC assembly table and portal area, and assembly table power system. Not in the main shop area, since I didn't want combustion engines anywhere near the logistics pipe hub and other important/fragile stuff. :) Still haven't gotten around to setting up an automatic refueling for it, since it still hasn't used up the fuel I put in for initial testing.

Basement with machinery. Aside from a CASUC breeder in a sub-basement (which doesn't run often) and the above assembly table (which doesn't run often, either), this is it for mechanicals in the main house. Left is the main interconnect for all of the remote areas, and right is a geothermal power station. Still haven't used up all the lava below the base, but when it's gone I'll probably replace it with a small reactor if the output from the breeder isn't enough (unlikely... There are no IC2 machines here, so the only power usage is charging equipment). Once the power storage fills up, there's an enforced 60-second shutdown of the geo-gen. Quick on/off cycles generate lots of lag. The epic kludge in the far corner is the only way I could come up with to have a sorting machine here put stuff in the correct machines on the other side of a TP pipe.

My breeder (Neutral 6/48 CASUC). The only way to get the required 1.2 buckets/sec is to have both a 1 sec timer and a 5 sec timer giving you the occasional extra bucket. I'm being a cheap bastard and using the same deployer/filter setup on both timers, but the timing is VERY close, and not something I'd try if you try to build this in SMP... Haven't had any drama from it in SSP yet, though. Automatically shuts down after 5000 seconds to allow for cell swap. It will maintain heat when switched off, so it can be started stopped at will if you don't mind a smoking reactor sitting around in your basement (or it can be once the reactor redstone bug is fixed, anyway)

Some other non-functional areas of the main house:

Still to come: factory, warehouse, thaumatorium, and frame quarry The Great Evil Lag Monster From Hell.

Well, my test shop had everything shut down... only two slow timers (20-60 sec), and some adv. machines maintaining their ready state. I just had a few relays and was plopping them down, and picking them up (not connected to anything), and the difference was noticeable.

I found myself needing about 15,000 obsidian to build a suitable mage tower for my Thaumcraft area, so instead of spending about 24 hours straight with a diamond drill, it was time to build an obsidian generator.

Fortunately, IC2 lets you bring water into the nether in the form of ice, and with the addition of RP pumps, it's pretty easy. All you need is a pump, block breaker, repeater and pulse former. This uses the appearance of a block of obsidian to trigger the block breaker, rather than a timer, so it goes as fast as the obsidian appears - a little faster than one block/sec (same would work for a cobble gen).

I have 15 thermopiles running the pump, but sadly, even that isn't enough to keep it running continuously. Starting with a full battery box will at least get you almost a full single chest before it quits, though. If you try to build this, be sure to break the ice blocks you place next to the thermopiles manually instead of letting them melt. Thermopiles will eat the ice blocks occasionally.

This is after one full single chest. Gives an idea of the range of the RP pump. This lava ocean is about 15 blocks deep at this point, and the intake grate is right at the bottom.

Nope, its exactly 5000EU, not 4901,9EU

Actually, you start losing efficiency at 3EU/t, it just doesn't become significant until you make the jump from 1024 EU/t to 2048 EU/t.

If my math is correct, here are the actual costs of a piece of UUM for the given input rates taking scrap "wastage" into account:
    32EU/t - 167,360 EU
    128 - 170,112
    512 - 170,496
    1024 - 171,008
    2048 - 198,656
    4096 - 249,856
    8192 - 253,952
    10240 - 296,960

So 4 MFs at 1024 EU/t are 50% faster than 1 at 4096

Remember that a mass fab can only use one piece of scrap per tick, which only accellerates 5,000 EU worth of input. Thus, I believe your efficiency starts to decrease significantly after about 2-3k EU/t. (if there's still leftover scrap from last tick's input, it won't use another piece this tick, and you only get the benefit of the remainder, so any additional EU over that doesn't get accellerated) Split your 6k EU/t between 3 MFs, and you'll probably go even faster.

Of course, you're obviously not going for practicality here. :)