[Addon 1.42] Iron Chests V0.9.5

• First of all, lets not start comparing this mod compared to every mod in existence. I don't know about you guys, but while SSP is fun, it just feels like a waste of time for me. So for me, atlest... EE and any other SSP mods are out of the picture, the only mods this should be balanced with is IC2, BC, RP2. Seeing as how the latter two have no variation of an upgraded chest, then this is quite easy.

As for the item id thing, lord why? I just spent an hour converting all my wood chests to gold chests, and then your saying they might not even work properly? Its 2 IDs, honestly... How many spare IDs do you guys need? 90% of the forge based mods resolve most ID space issues, and the rest of the mods are meh? I mean, lets see...
    Theres EE, Minefactory, buildcraft addtions, tree forestry, and I don't know what else everyone might be using. Whats really more important? Filling your game with a bunch of stuff you'll probably never use or is probably obsolete due to the ammount of other items you can make which have the same function, or having functional upgraded chests which everyone obviously will use more so then most items.

I like the evolved recipe idea, it will make iron chests more valuable in the start game instead of feeling like a waste of iron after awhile, also, I think 8 wood, 8 iron, 8 gold, 4 diamonds is reasonable for a end game chest.

• Gee, thanks. Yeah, it's more that I play for, oh, maybe an hour every few nights when I can scavenge. Most of the time I'm helping my 6 year old daughter build elaborate houses.

On the "multiple diamonds" thing. I think 4 might be too many too. Compared to Equivalent Exchange (I know it's not SMP but still, it's very comparable otherwise) it's a very expensive item. Multipage chests- similarly much cheaper. I think a tiered item would be best. After all, chests aren't an ongoing expense, so long term "balance" is not really very relevant, and tiering would be a better progressive balance solution than massive piles of diamonds.

On the multi-id thing- one word of caution, you may break SMP quite badly if you do that- you'll probably have to re-implement all the automagic code that you're currently leveraging so you can support multiple IDs (can you tell I've been trying to debug multi-page chests which doesn't work properly in SMP because he's homebrewed his own solution).

4 "too many"? 8 feels just fine to me. In my main save i've got 26 diamond + 8 *blocks* sitting around waiting for use. That's also after using diamond cable basically everywhere.
    Just load up buildcraft and make a quarry, high-ish initial costs but pays for itself. Also get a semi-steady supply of diamond from a mass fabricator. (have a ~32 panel solar array, a nuke plant at 30/tick and something else I forget providing ~80 feeding it) After a couple overnight runs of the game for BC fuel processing I had a decent supply.

As for the item id thing, lord why? I just spent an hour converting all my wood chests to gold chests, and then your saying they might not even work properly? Its 2 IDs, honestly... How many spare IDs do you guys need? 90% of the forge based mods resolve most ID space issues, and the rest of the mods are meh? I mean, lets see...
    Theres EE, Minefactory, buildcraft addtions, tree forestry, and I don't know what else everyone might be using. Whats really more important? Filling your game with a bunch of stuff you'll probably never use or is probably obsolete due to the ammount of other items you can make which have the same function, or having functional upgraded chests which everyone obviously will use more so then most items.

As to this, I welcome everything being collapsed into one Block ID.. look around on this very forum, there's a *lot* of IC2 sub-mods here and every last one of them needs at least one Block ID. The very same Block IDs that are a going to be a bit more scarce whenever the release version hits due to the extra stuff implemented there.

• As to this, I welcome everything being collapsed into one Block ID.. look around on this very forum, there's a *lot* of IC2 sub-mods here and every last one of them needs at least one Block ID. The very same Block IDs that are a going to be a bit more scarce whenever the release version hits due to the extra stuff implemented there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with the idea of compacting IDs, however if this can be properly achieved or not with chests is the question. As of right now, they seem to be as functional as a regular chest, as if they were a part of the game. If something has to be sacrificed for 2 item IDs, then I don't like the idea. I guess in the end its upto lishid if he wants to put in the time and try to make it work, but personally for me it doesn't matter.

• I ended up collapsing all into one block ID which is 251 by default (same thing the Iron chest used to have)

I think you won't lose the items in the Iron Chests, while you will lose the other chest blocks... unless someone make a converter (or a refunding system)

I only have to solve a few problems before sending the new release.

for one, when you use animated chests, the items (when you pickup the chest) are not shown...

• Just put a warning for the new download. People will bitch but hey you learned something and its for the better.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• Just put a warning for the new download. People will bitch but hey you learned something and its for the better.

Solved my problem! Now I'm going to do some improvements and features and let you guys know when I'm done.
    Also, I'll be sure to tell people what to dd before updating.

• Nice work, reworking the recipes to reflect evolution i hope?

I I I
    IC I = I
    I I I

GGG
    GI G = G
    GGG

DgD
    gGg = D
    DgD

big G is gold and little g is glass.

I don't know how you have the last recipe planned exactly but something like that perhaps?

• Not sure what you mean...
    You want it to be like BC's gear? (evolutionary type, where you put the last tier item with materials to upgrade to next tier)

I'm just finishing some lighting update issues.

• Yeah, thats correct. Require iron chest to make gold, and so on... This should make iron chests more appealing to the start game considering you can upgrade them later.

• Does everyone agree to this?

well, it'll make diamond chests a bit more expensive without requiring more diamond and it'll make a use for the semi-useless gold so i'm all for it.
    Iron may be a small problem for large chest arrays but then again, when isn't iron a problem with IC2?

so basically: sounds good to me.

• well, it'll make diamond chests a bit more expensive without requiring more diamond and it'll make a use for the semi-useless gold so i'm all for it.
    Iron may be a small problem for large chest arrays but then again, when isn't iron a problem with IC2?

so basically: sounds good to me.

Indeed, this is why it's good to "tier" it. I think this is a good compromise. Now to see if I can build an ID converter so I don't lose the diamond chests I already have ;)

• Might just be easier to recipe the mats back idk.

Indeed, this is why it's good to "tier" it. I think this is a good compromise. Now to see if I can build an ID converter so I don't lose the diamond chests I already have ;)

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• Ok, finally freed up some IDs (ripped out portal gun mod, basically wasn't using it) and got 0.94 installed, had been running 0.91 and basically wanted to take a look at the diamond chests.
    They look the perfect size (ok, one row short but I can live with that) for all the crap I have in the various EE chests (that i'd also like to rip out) but I do have one relatively minor (point? annoyance? not sure which word fits)
    any chance you could slide the storage area for the diamond chests to the left by a couple blocks? It looks a bit odd and off-balance where it is.
    Purely just a look of the thing point so feel free to ignore it but figured i'd point it out.

• Updated new version!

Changed recipe (gonna upload the image soon)
    Merged block IDs, please delete the IronChest.cfg and recreate a new one.

BE SURE TO REMOVE THE IRON/GOLD/DIAMOND CHESTS BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO 0.9.5

• Just because: here's a bukkit compilation of 0.95. It's untested because my daughter is currently playing on the server and I don't want to have to go and clean up existing diamond chests at the minute.

I may look at making a quickie item ID converter this week so that if you have the old items (i.e. the chest is in inventory but not placed as a block in the world) then they'll convert to the new ID/metadata.

• Updated new version!

Changed recipe (gonna upload the image soon)
    Merged block IDs, please delete the IronChest.cfg and recreate a new one.

Ouch.. bit of a bug here, good thing I really haven't used the chests yet.

anyway, the bug? if you have Too Many Items installed the game locks up when you get to the page with the chests on it.
    I use TMI for my test world.. mucho easier when testing things out. (don't want to asplode anything in my main world or waste resources on something that might not work)

• Ouch.. bit of a bug here, good thing I really haven't used the chests yet.

anyway, the bug? if you have Too Many Items installed the game locks up when you get to the page with the chests on it.
    I use TMI for my test world.. mucho easier when testing things out. (don't want to asplode anything in my main world or waste resources on something that might not work)

Not sure what could be screwing up with TMI... Ill check later.

• Ouch.. bit of a bug here, good thing I really haven't used the chests yet.

Uhh.....

No problem at all for me.