Solar power, a complaint...

• Rick: You keep listing resources to compare two power generators. Solars are expensive to set up, wind generators are cheaper.
    What you keep on forgetting is the time spent in building and maintaining these generators. Since solar and wind are maintenance free it is easy to compare them to say nuclear.
    You have to mine for uranium, you have to bring the fuel to the reactor, you have to insert the fuel in the reactor one item at a time.
    You then need to make a breeder (to gain as much as possible from that rare uranium ore) which takes even more time.
    that time could have been spent on gathering other kinds of resources.

Setting up a solar farm or wind farm means i can spend INFINITY on finding any other kind of resources i WANT.
    Using nuclear generators i eventually (every 2.7 hours?) have to spend time refilling them with new cells. That is time spent NOT looking for other resources.

Over time, a solar/wind user will be A LOT wealthier than any nuclear user. (Which destroys any kind of energy economy model)
    We built nuclear reactors because it was cheap, "clean" and "safe" energy production. (And i still think of it as clean and safe if we take CARE of it properly)
    Nuclear power also generates several orders of magnitude more power than solar power ever has.

Solar and wind power has to span entire regions IRL to match a single nuclear reactor in output. In MC solar and wind merely spans 48x48 meters (as opposed to say 5x5 KM IRL) to match a reactors MAXIMUM potential output. (2400 EU, that number is 1740 due to SAFETY and MAINTAINABILITY reasons though.)
    Sure, it lags... It makes the game unplayable but why should I care? I just want to compete with someone else and start building thousands of solar panels/wind gens so i win in the long run.

Even if a single solar panel cost 5x as much as a normal generator (and there was no way to automate a genarator) a solar panel would win after 100 generator refills. Each manual refill means time is taken from mining and placed into maintaining the generator.

Solar and wind generates too much EU per M²... It's as simple as that. A solar panel that generates 1 EU should take up at least 5x5 tiles in space. So should a wind generator. Then i could agree with lowering the cost of the solar panel itself. It still requires PLENTY of ground to build on.

And on a server where you purchase land to build on, this would be even better!

• Even if a single solar panel cost 5x as much as a normal generator (and there was no way to automate a genarator) a solar panel would win after 100 generator refills. Each manual refill means time is taken from mining and placed into maintaining the generator.

This, *plus* nuclear isn't afk-friendly. I can't exactly throw down a few chunkloader blocks and let the game sit overnight with nuclear. Right now my base is 100% powered by solar or wind, just so I can let things process overnight. (I play on a private SMP server with a few friends)

• You also have several large holes in your map...

more of a personal preference thing there. i'd rather have an avoidable large hole than a maze of little passages that can spawn critters.
    plus the large hole gives you tons of recycler fodder :)

• Even with the old costs and output nuclear power was easier to setup. The buff to nuclear energy was needed but the big nerf to solars was not needed.

In the end it wont matter how expensive you make solars. Lazy ppl wont stop being lazy even if you make solars cost 9 diamonds they still make solars and spam them like crazy until the server lags to dead.

Talking about so called 'free energy' windgens have a way better resource/output ratio (which was proved in earlier posts) but nobody whines on them.

• Rick... You still forget about TIME. It takes more TIME to set up wind farms. I don't care if it's 1/3rd the price of solar power. The time spent is time lost looking for more resources.

And if solar farms took up 100 times more space (each panel needing 10x10 tiles of space) then people would be spending A LOT more time building them. And the space they would take up would be 25 times larger. To make a farm that would produce 100 EU/t would mean you would consume 200x200 tiles of space instead of just 10x10 tiles.

Yeah, if a solar panel cost 9 diamond i would think they are quite expensive and building 100 of them (that's 100 diamond blocks dammit) would be pretty much impossible considering how many diamonds you would have to find.
    Once more you are just being irrelevant and making everything you say up on the spot... And believing it.

EDIT: Oh, and i hate ALL free generators mind you. I just hate solars the most.

• Geez the same old argument again? I already told you the numbers many times why cant you just read them for once? It takes longer to make a solar farm than to make a windgen farm. Before you even get the resources for the solarfarm a windgen farm would have been finished.

This is starting to get boring. Cant you be a more creative troll?

• Geez the same old argument again? I already told you the numbers many times why cant you just read them for once? It takes longer to make a solar farm than to make a windgen farm. Before you even get the resources for the solarfarm a windgen farm would have been finished.

First of all, you didn't want to back up your claim in a real test. Hence your argument is "as valid" as mine (except, going by history you never care to look up your facts)
    Second, i am not a troll. Had you not been such a silly kid you would have understood this a long time ago. Now you are just stomping the ground because you don't get "your way".

This from the moron king of trolls. You *never* listen to any other argument and repeat your same statement again and again and again. You are the very definition of troll.

• First of all, you didn't want to back up your claim in a real test. Hence your argument is "as valid" as mine (except, going by history you never care to look up your facts)
    Second, i am not a troll. Had you not been such a silly kid you would have understood this a long time ago. Now you are just stomping the ground because you don't get "your way".

Iam sorry you cannot understand simple 1+1 math.

Your argument literary got crushed since it takes many times more resources to make a solar farm than a windgen farm i even showed you the numbers. You needed like 50 windgens to match the output of 250 solars that and 1 solar is more expensive than 1 windgen. The diference in time to place 50 windgens and 250 solars is nothing compared to the time it takes to get all the resources for a solar farm.

I do listen to arguments but only if they are serious arguments not troll arguments.

• Iam sorry you cannot understand simple 1+1 math.

Your argument literary got crushed since it takes many times more resources to make a solar farm than a windgen farm i even showed you the numbers. You needed like 50 windgens to match the output of 250 solars that and 1 solar is more expensive than 1 windgen. The diference in time to place 50 windgens and 250 solars is nothing compared to the time it takes to get all the resources for a solar farm.

I do listen to arguments but only if they are serious arguments not troll arguments.

Really Rick... You would be more productive if you stabbed yourself in the face with a spoon.

Disclaimer:

I am totally and utterly Christmas eve drunk, anything i post today might be full of spelling errors and typos and ramblings and other hilarity.

• Is there a point to arguing with someone who does not want to agree with you? I think not, it is merely wasted effort. So why don't you guys shut the hell up and agree to disagree? I'm all for some healthy debate but this is just ridiculous.

• Is there a point to arguing with someone who does not want to agree with you? I think not, it is merely wasted effort. So why don't you guys shut the hell up and agree to disagree? I'm all for some healthy debate but this is just ridiculous.

We finally stopped and 2 days later you post again in it?