[Bug 1.0] Gold Texture on Copper Blocks

• As the title states, in the 1.0 version of IC2, the copper texture is actually the gold texture when in the ore block form. As soon as you break it, it turns into the copper texture again and is usable in the normal manner. It's quite a major bug though.

• Looking at the block_0 texture sheet, the copper block looks fine. Furthermore, I'm unable to reproduce your reported issue - I can craft a copper block and it has the proper appearance.

This leads me to believe that you have either improperly patched your build and/or that you are using an HD texture pack that is not properly configured.

At any rate, it's not a bug in IC2 at all, so we'd need to find out what it is on your end that's causing this. Care to provide some comprehensive information? Start out with screenshots and your modloader.txt, please.

And PLEASE put these issues in the proper place - reporting something like this as a "bug"' when it's not, draws effort and attention away from addressing the real, reproducible bugs that might be present.

• Official Post

And PLEASE put these issues in the proper place - reporting something like this as a "bug"' when it's not, draws effort and attention away from addressing the real, reproducible bugs that might be present.

Disagree'd.
    Any issue that's not caused as game-intended feature is a bug.

Support Section : Questions regarding usage or functionality of the content (and apparently "Help, install doesnt work", too).
    Bug Section: Anything that's not intended content, regardless how it got created.

@Issue:
    Are you using any sort of OptiFine or any HDPAtcher whatever mod?

• Any issue that's not caused as game-intended feature is a bug.

I'm trying to illustrate the distinction between a bug and user error.

A bug is something that can be reproduced - it should, theoretically, affect all users uniformly. The first thing I did before responding was to examine the texture sheet in the mod, then I logged into the game and successfully created a copper block with the proper appearance.

So that leads me to believe that this alleged "bug" is in fact, caused either by an improper installation of something (most likely Optifine or MCPatcher) and/or related to a custom texture pack. It doesn't happen with default textures and it doesn't even happen when I'm using a custom 64x pack.

So let's not bark up the wrong tree and call this a bug in IC2, is all I'm saying.

• Official Post

Hmmm... but given users use different mod-setups, it's possible to create bugs within IC²s code by outward influences or rather "make them visible" by that.
    Take the vanilla TE-duplication for example. It was in the code for months (and probably still is), but unless you used the old IC1 Watermills, you would never notice it, yet the Watermill itself wasn't actually cause of the bug.

But je, in this case it's most likely an issue with an extern mod clashing with MCForge and messing with sprite displays, affecting IC² blocks.

• That's the most likely explanation - but not 100% certain. More information can help to reproduce the bug or rule out IC2.

• Well, here's the thing about bug reports... For it to be a bug (In my experience) the bug must be caused by the default package of IC2. That is, IC2 1.42 running on MC 1.0.0 using ModLoader 1.0.0, ModLoaderMP 1.0.0 and Forge 1.2.2 from the linked sources.
    Using any other means of installing or any other mods makes it a COMPATIBILITY problem, not a bug.
    I am open to the possibility of a compatibility problem being exclusively caused by IC2 but it isn't a bug with IC2. It's a specified set of conditions that causes a problem.

The same way that if i purchase a car of make "SuperAwesome" and model "SuperFastAndLuxurious" and i add flamethrower at the front and leave that burning at full capacity. What happens after a while as i drive around with my super hot flamethrower is my engine overheats for some odd unexplained reason... Shall i then go to "SuperAwesome" car manufacturer and point out that the engine in their car is crap because it overheats? Or maybe i should consider the possibility that adding a flame thrower that makes the cooling system of my engine malfunction might be the reason and as such come to my "SuperAwesome" car manufacturer with a compatibilty issue. Then, if they wish to (not that i think they would) help me solve my problem with heat they could offer a more efficient cooling system for my engine or offer some sound advice (such as, no flame throwers should be used at the front of your car)

So (IMHO) this is the exact same thing. IC2 is designed to work on it's own very well. Some considerations have been taken to make it compatible with certain mod solutions but in the end, it doesn't mean that you can automatically assume that it will work with everything.
    It isn't a bug if someone is using mod XYZ and it causes issues in IC2, it's a compatibility problem. And we can't solve all compatibility problems now can we? Doing so would mean IC2 would never progress and it would also grow into a beast of compatibility fixes which would make the code extra wonky and cause actual bugs to happen.

If you don't agree then never mind me. I am just trying to take the practical approach here and whenever i read "BUG REPORT" i expect to find something that I (and everybody else) can reproduce using only IC2 and it's prerequisites.

• I am just trying to take the practical approach here and whenever i read "BUG REPORT" i expect to find something that I (and everybody else) can reproduce using only IC2 and it's prerequisites.

That's it, in a nutshell.

• I am using Optifine, but only using the default texture pack if that helps... I have no idea what the Modloader .txt is, so could you please tell me how to show you that? =)

Cheers for taking an interest in my problem =)

• 20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader init
    FINE: ModLoader 1.0.0 Initializing...
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader readFromClassPath
    FINER: Adding mods from C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader readFromClassPath
    FINER: Zip found.
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader addMod
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_ModLoaderMp 1.0.0" from mod_ModLoaderMp.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_CraftGuide 1.2.2" from mod_CraftGuide.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_BuildCraftCore 2.2.8" from mod_BuildCraftCore.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_BuildCraftBuilders 2.2.8" from mod_BuildCraftBuilders.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_BuildCraftEnergy 2.2.8" from mod_BuildCraftEnergy.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_BuildCraftFactory 2.2.8" from mod_BuildCraftFactory.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_BuildCraftTransport 2.2.8" from mod_BuildCraftTransport.class
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_ReiMinimap v2.8_01 [1.0.0]" from mod_ReiMinimap.class
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader setupProperties
    FINER: key set to 46
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_Timber 1.0.0" from mod_Timber.class
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader readFromModFolder
    FINER: Adding mods from C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\industrialcraft-2-client_1.42.jar
    20/12/2011 10:00:25 PM ModLoader readFromModFolder
    FINER: Zip found.
    20/12/2011 10:00:26 PM ModLoader addMod
    FINE: Mod Initialized: "mod_IC2 v1.42" from mod_IC2.class
    20/12/2011 10:00:26 PM ModLoader readFromModFolder
    FINER: Adding mods from C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\rei_minimap
    20/12/2011 10:00:26 PM ModLoader readFromModFolder
    FINER: Directory found.
    20/12/2011 10:00:26 PM ModLoader init
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_ModLoaderMp 1.0.0"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_CraftGuide 1.2.2"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_BuildCraftCore 2.2.8"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_BuildCraftBuilders 2.2.8"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_BuildCraftEnergy 2.2.8"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_BuildCraftFactory 2.2.8"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_BuildCraftTransport 2.2.8"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_ReiMinimap v2.8_01 [1.0.0]"
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_Timber 1.0.0"
    20/12/2011 10:00:27 PM ModLoaderMp Log
    FINE: ModLoaderMP 1.0.0 Initialized
    20/12/2011 10:00:27 PM ModLoader init
    FINE: Mod Loaded: "mod_IC2 v1.42"
    20/12/2011 10:00:27 PM BuildCraftCore initialize
    FINE: Starting BuildCraft 2.2.8
    FINE: Copyright (c) SpaceToad, 2011
    FINE: http://www.mod-buildcraft.com
    20/12/2011 10:00:27 PM ModLoader AddAllRenderers
    FINE: Initialized

• In your .minecraft folder, there should be a file called modloader.txt. Please paste it in here (using /spoiler tags).
    Basically we want to see what other mods you are using.

But before we go there, let's be sure you have the right files installed in the right order: Modloader 1.0 (into the minecraft.jar), ModloaderMP1.0 (also into the minecraft .jar), Forge 1.22 (also into the .jar) and then finally Optifine after all that (be sure you are using a 1.0-compatible version, and that it's installed last). After all that's in, drag and drop the IC2 mod into the /mods folder.

Are you using any other mods?

• OK, thanks for posting the modloader file. The only things I'm not familiar with in terms of how they interact would be Timber and Rei's minimap. The rest of the stuff plays nicely with IC2.
    Is it possible to uninstall those mods and launch the game without them? This is almost certainly a display issue, so the more likely culprit is the minimap - unless Timber has its own textures.

• Well in that case it would probably be the minimap... How do I uninstall only one mod? Lol, the .class files would be all over the place in the bin minecraft.jar... =/

• So that's a file that modifies the minecraft .jar instead of going in the mods folder?
    That doubles my suspicion that it could be the culprit.

In that case, copy your save file and that .jar and save them somewhere as a backup (that way, if this doesn't solve it, you can resotre them). Then start with a fresh jar (you can do this by deleting the jar and launching the game) or better yet, backup the whole .minecraft folder, delete the contents of /bin and /mods and start again.

Install Modloader/ModLoaderMP/Forge/Optifine and then place just the IC2 file in your /mods folder. Launch the game and see if the problem persists. If it's fine, then add other mods one at a time, checking after each to see if and when the problem arises.

• Oh and I forgot to mention, while playing on that last save, Tin appeared as Iron too... So it wasn't just the copper and gold....
    But anyway, I'll get back to adding the mods one by one.

• After adding Modloader, ModloaderMP, Optifine and Forge, then finally IC2, the issue remains the same. =/ No other mods were in.

• Tin appears as iron, copper appears as gold... these aren't even on the IC2 texture sheet.
    Would you mind posting some screenshots to show us what you're talking about?

• If it helps, then sure thing =)

When I renewed the .minecraft folder like you suggested, and installed the base mods and then IC2, I used the same IC2 .jar file... Do you think it would be worth downloading a different .jar or shouldn't it matter?