Water/Lava Jacket sphere calculation questions (noob)

• So i pieced together a 6 chamber reactor. The chamber itself is a 3x3x3 cube with the reactor chamber extensions filling in the plus sign space. According to the math that leaves me with 20 spaces of "free" area to allow for lava/water. So my question is does the water/lava have to be a complete cube or can it be the entrance flowing animation to be counted. I can hold space in that area and there is still a very very small pocket of air.

Thanks.

• Normally this is true; flowing water landing on the top chamer will fan out in four directions, then those fan again in two, and then a floor will fill the last four spots. However I don't trust that and have backup sources of water. Make sure all your source blocks are outside of 5x5x5 centered on the core chamber.

• Normally this is true; flowing water landing on the top chamer will fan out in four directions, then those fan again in two, and then a floor will fill the last four spots. However I don't trust that and have backup sources of water. Make sure all your source blocks are outside of 5x5x5 centered on the core chamber.

Yep i prefer this design over the 3x3x3