Am I missing something? (Long distance power transfer via transformers)

• Some say you can't use EV directly in SMP for some reason, but i have never tested it.

I have, it's rather annoying. Bunch o wind directly to a HV transformer in single player? Works great.
    Try the same thing in SMP? zero power transmitted.

• Are you sure you didn't forget to redstone something? I have a small windfarm in SMP and /do/ get power from it like that.

• I don't know what else to say except that the HVTF will soak up 2048 EU before spitting out a packet. Windgens can take /quite/ a while to do this, so you might not have been waiting long enough (they /are/ variable output, form 0 to 8eU/t in a storm with maximum wind otherwise)

• I don't know what else to say except that the HVTF will soak up 2048 EU before spitting out a packet. Windgens can take /quite/ a while to do this, so you might not have been waiting long enough (they /are/ variable output, form 0 to 8eU/t in a storm with maximum wind otherwise)

Gave it quite a while, as in long enough for the (slow) trip to the ground then down two levels to the MFSU and the (slow) trip back up to fix it. Reported 0 power at the cable to the HVTF even.

• I'd have to know exactly what your infrastructure looked like then. If you could place a storage device where the HVTF was and collect power, then the generators to that could be debunked. Similarly you'd need a storage device within reach at the lower end.

• Some say you can't use EV directly in SMP for some reason, but i have never tested it.

Very good to know, since I just started playing on an SMP server and have taken it upon myself to build the power network for the hub city at spawn.

• My hundred solar panels run along tin cable straight into a step-up HV transformer, then about 50 metres down to my base (it's under a giant overhang). No trouble at all.

• First thing is - you can't be losing 3-5 EU per 2048EU packet on 70-80 block long way. Exact packet loss for 3x Ins. HV cable is 56-64EU per packet when travelling such distance.
    You may as well consider using LV long distance cable setup, which can handle 128EU/t (your generators can make max 88EU/t) and loses up to 0%( :thumbup: ) EU. You won't need those 2 HVTs and MVT, so you can use them at more appropriate places.
    Setup looks like this: :Wind Mill::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::MFS-Unit:
    - not that expensive (1.2 copper per block of setup +some rubber and wood)(also you don't need diamonds)
    - you may argue that 84-96 copper bars is too much, but using diamonds, iron, redstone and other rare stuff is worse in my opinion. Everyone has loads of copper(not sure but i do).
    - loseless !

Finally did something about my power grid. Didn't want to go through *that* much hassle with the numerous LV transformers but I built a couple and ~70 glass fiber cable (when you've got several stacks of uu-matter waiting to be used it doesn't seem that expensive :) ) and did something like that.
    So now the input power is a lot less bursty (yay!) and lossless. Not to mention safer too, no more EV nearby to make things go *bang* on a mis-click now that the power grid is LV. Almost feels like cheating using lv transformers as repeaters though.

• First thing is - you can't be losing 3-5 EU per 2048EU packet on 70-80 block long way. Exact packet loss for 3x Ins. HV cable is 56-64EU per packet when travelling such distance.
    You may as well consider using LV long distance cable setup, which can handle 128EU/t (your generators can make max 88EU/t) and loses up to 0%( :thumbup: ) EU. You won't need those 2 HVTs and MVT, so you can use them at more appropriate places.
    Setup looks like this: :Wind Mill::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::MFS-Unit:
    - not that expensive (1.2 copper per block of setup +some rubber and wood)(also you don't need diamonds)
    - you may argue that 84-96 copper bars is too much, but using diamonds, iron, redstone and other rare stuff is worse in my opinion. Everyone has loads of copper(not sure but i do).
    - loseless !

I didn't know that LVs act as relays.... So I made a batbox/cable system down from the sky for nothing?

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• Official Post

Once my world is really advanced i use only glass fiber cables. Why? Because you got near limitless resources and resources arent a limiting factor anymore. When 2 CASUC reactors are feeding a mass fab for several days you know what i mean.

Or you can use Splitter cable which is even better than glass fiber and it is cheaper. [has lower eu/block loss]
    4 Splitter cables uses 2 refined iron (8 HV cable), 24 rubber, 4 levers and 8 redstone.
    4 Glass fiber cables uses one diamond, 2 redstone and 6 glass.

• Official Post

Or you can use Splitter cable which is even better than glass fiber and it is cheaper. [has lower eu/block loss]
    4 Splitter cables uses 2 refined iron (8 HV cable), 24 rubber, 4 levers and 8 redstone.
    4 Glass fiber cables uses one diamond, 2 redstone and 6 glass.

Good job, guess i'll have to vastly increase the cost for the EU cables then.

• The increased glass fiber recipe cost should make splitter cables properly valued. -HOWEVER- diamonds are more rare in 1.x than in the 1.8.1 you increased the cost of making glass fiber cables in. Please adjust the number of glass cables that can be created to compensate for this change (probably cables from RS+diamond to 6 and Silver(RP2)+diamond to 8 ).

Edit: GD Smilies... can we please just get rid of the smilies part of the icons?

• diamonds are scarse. why make another item which need them. i think better way is increase eu lost to higher value. in spliter and detector cable are iron cable. why not match eu loss to that? that mean 0.8 EU/block.

• diamonds are scarse. why make another item which need them. i think better way is increase eu lost to higher value. in spliter and detector cable are iron cable. why not match eu loss to that? that mean 0.8 EU/block.

Then it would be impractical to use them on tin cables.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• More to the point, it would be impractical to use them on /glass/ cables.

Perhaps make it so that detector/splitter cables are updated every so often (several thousand ticks would work) based on the surrounding cables. Among the cables touching the detector cable select the highest resistance cable and mirror it's output; during scans other detector cables should be detected as a cable with infinite resistance and not allow passage. This would have an unfortunate side-effect of making each type of detector cable take up several damage values.