Question: What causes induction furnaces to explode?

• If you run too much voltage through it, it will explode. They can accpet 128 EU/tick (the output of an MFE). If you connect one directly to an MFSU without an MV transformer to step down to 128, the furnace will explode.

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." - Bertrand Russell

• If you run too much voltage through it, it will explode. They can accpet 128 EU/tick (the output of an MFE). If you connect one directly to an MFSU without an MV transformer to step down to 128, the furnace will explode.

So if I use a redstone torch or geothermal generator, it won't explode at all?

• Right. A geothermal generator outputs 20 EU/t, well below the 128 limit. Preheating the furnace does nothing either; an induction furnace can happily sit at 100% heat forever (I leave mine preheating all the time so it's ready when I want to use it).

• So if I use a redstone torch or geothermal generator, it won't explode at all?

Redstone torch won't provide it with energy. Geothermal generator has only 20EU/t output, so it won't cause your furnance to explode. Redstone torch will cause your furnance to remain hot, while you are not using it. It costs 1EU/t.