A breeder that never cools down, is it possible?

• I've finaly decided to build my first nuclear reactor. But since I don't want to craterify my base, I've been preparing by reading the article on the wiki and this forum. I found the reactor planner and started to mess around with different designs.

Eventually, I found the "apply external heating" option, where external cooling can be reduced with lava or fire (is it normal that I didn't find any info on this anywhere else, or did I just missed it?) and it got me thinking. Would it be possible to create a system where the hull heat never changes (could be useful for a breeder...)?

I rechecked in the wiki and found that Coolant Cell absorb "10.000 heat units from uranium cells" and Integrated Reactor plating "will distribute heat from an adjacent uranium cells into surrounding cooling cells and also into other plating to be further distributed". Doesn't seem to take heat directly from the hull. Good.

So I tried to make a little breeder in the planner, with lava to stop external cooling and planting and coolant only to deal with the heat from the uranium cell. I came up with this :

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1010101301501521s1r11r10

However , when I increase the starting hull heat in the breeder option, the componants start to heat up too. So, is it a bug in the planner, or was I just wrong in thinking that plating and coolant don't take heat from the hull?

Also, How many layers of Reinforced Stone do you need to contain a reactor exploding?

Thanks in advance!

• Well if you accept minor damages you could opt for the cheaper 3 layers of Reinforced Stone but if you want total containment you need 4.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Well if you accept minor damages you could opt for the cheaper 3 layers of Reinforced Stone but if you want total containment you need 4.

actually it's more like 2 or 3
    testing i've done found that 2 layers is fine with minor damage to the environment. (from places like the door or access points to shut it off) If it does go bang you'll lose basically all of the inner layer though.
    3 layers is enough for total protection but you'll have to be careful about any access points again. (like say the door or a shutoff line)

• No I had the problem of everything on the 2 layer one being obliterated.

Oh and Ive seen people use one layer...Bad idea if I might say

Oh and the only piece that takes heat from/to the hull is the heat despensers.

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• No I had the problem of everything on the 2 layer one being obliterated.

Oh and Ive seen people use one layer...Bad idea if I might say

hmm.. when was this? I think I last tested things in 1.23, wonder if the resistance of re stone has changed.

• Just tested it about 3 days ago with 1.43

• Not sure if thats ment as a joke but its still kinda funny

I think he means make a neutral reactor that doesnt gain or loose heat.

• hmm.. when was this? I think I last tested things in 1.23, wonder if the resistance of re stone has changed.

Explosion power also depends on how much uranium there is in a reactor. For CASUC the bare minimum to reduce most damage is 3 layers but that will cause some enviromental damage. Better go with 4 or 5.

• Explosion power also depends on how much uranium there is in a reactor. For CASUC the bare minimum to reduce most damage is 3 layers but that will cause some enviromental damage. Better go with 4 or 5.

Then i'll go with 4 layers, thanks!

[...]
    ah.. now i see you want to make it stay hot when its empty

Exactly! It's more a thought experiment right now, but if it works, i might even try it when I have a little more experience in nuclear engineering.

Ok ok, now i think i got this. YES, it is reactor planner (bug). Probably.
    When you set hull to 9000, it will set hull AND all components to 9000, which is bad, BUT in game it probably works.
    ALSO i made your design slightly cheaper :) http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1010101201501521s1r11r10

So it should work in game... i'll have to try it someday. And thanks for the new design!

• it's a great idea until you want to run another cycle. Then it explodes. Honestly the best breeders are the ones you just dump 5 lava buckets into and let em sit for their cycle.

• it's a great idea until you want to run another cycle. Then it explodes. Honestly the best breeders are the ones you just dump 5 lava buckets into and let em sit for their cycle.

Components will heat during cycle and components will cool after cycle. Only hull keeps its heat. So after some cooldown, you can run your breeder again.

True, but you could always swap out components with fresh ones between cycles. I know it might not be the most efficient design, but I just wanted to know if it could work.
    And who knows, there might be someone somewhere who hates gathering lava that might like it :rolleyes:

Also, am I right to think that components only cooldown when inside a reactor? If so, a reactor without any uranium cells could be used to cooldown hot components ...

I'm starting to think it's great idea ! I think i'll build one too. :D

Glad to see the concept is liked

...wait a minute :huh:

Did I just create a new subtype of breeder?

• How is this a new class of breeder?

• Components will heat during cycle and components will cool after cycle. Only hull keeps its heat. So after some cooldown, you can run your breeder again.

Well then the reactor planner is screwing with my head on this one. If this works for you guys that's awesome. Post back with some results :D

Also, am I right to think that components only cooldown when inside a reactor? If so, a reactor without any uranium cells could be used to cooldown hot components ...

I'd like to know the answer to this as well... as that alone would motivate me into making such explosive investments in energy, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.