Breeder with cooldown?

• Hi everyone.

Is it possible to have a breeder which needs cooldown periods? Or to be more specific can I enrich/charge near depleted uranium cells in seperate "parts" or do they loose their charge once the reactor cools down and stops working?

• I'm sure the cells don't lose their charge, making a breeder reactor with cool down possible.The main reason people don't use them is that a reactor that's always burning hot is much, much more efficient (though I'm not sure exactly how much more so).

A cooldown breeder easiest to build and maintain of course, as you can cold-start it, and (assuming it's a Mk2) just let it run til it's out of fuel. Of course, a reactor like this is more effective the hotter it is, so it would probably make sense to make sure it's *just* about to explode when the fuel runs out. ;) Unfortunately, that means a very long cooldown before you can safely cold-start it again. You will probably find that you need to run the reactor for 2 full cycles before the depleted cells are fully charged.

Something like this would work I think, giving you 2 fully charged cells per run, and another 4 every second run, for a total average of 4 recharged cells per run, at the cost of 2 uranium. The efficiency as you can see isn't very high.
    Mark II-1 EA Positive Breeder

I'd be very interested to know how many batches of cells you could recharge in a berfect breeder, on a single cycle of uranium.

lyplyp

• Of course the above breeder could be made super-effective by using a full cycle to heat it up, and then running it on a redstone timer, flicking it on and off to maintain the absurd heat level. I'm sure it'd breed very quickly under those conditions.

lyplyp

• Indeed you do use cooldowns to run on ridicolous heat-levels. You could manage a reactor to stay on a certain heat-level like between 6.000 and 8.000 or whatever. But since there is nothing to messure the heat I would advice against it, since it is really hard to control the timers that precisely. With some temperature-messurement I imagine some creations will get even more funny, because you can actually build emergency-switches based on heat.

• In connection with this topic - how many cycles does a uranium cell last? I assume one?

i asume you mean this in conjuction of how an uranium cell lasts like in an normal cycle compared to breeding cycle.

wel, the uranium cell wil make an full cycle. breeding other cells doesnt mater for duration

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Hmm? I used a design very similar to that one ages ago to breed, and it finished all 6 in one cycle ... Have you tested it?

Getting only 3 charged cells per used uran might seem wasteful, but given 0 micromanagement I'm fine with that :)
    With a perfect breeder at over 9000 heat you can charge 8 cells per uran, but you pretty much has to be there at half-time to switch them out. And ofc you need to heat it up beforehand.

Edit: Unless there has been some major overhaul to nuclear power recently, that is

• Hmm? I used a design very similar to that one ages ago to breed, and it finished all 6 in one cycle ... Have you tested it?

Getting only 3 charged cells per used uran might seem wasteful, but given 0 micromanagement I'm fine with that :)
    With a perfect breeder at over 9000 heat you can charge 8 cells per uran, but you pretty much has to be there at half-time to switch them out. And ofc you need to heat it up beforehand.

Edit: Unless there has been some major overhaul to nuclear power recently, that is

No, haven't tested. That's just something I whipped up in the planner as an example while writing the post. :) The planner says all the cells won't be done in one run, so I figured it was probably right (it seems accurate enough in most other respects). Maybe it isn't right. :) I haven't actually gotten around to building myself a breeder for real yet. I will at some point of course, and that will most likely be some kind of cold-starting mk2 breeder. Should prove interesting.

...and on the subject of breeding speed with regards to heat - you wouldn't happen to know how exactly heat influences breeding speed at various temps, 0-10k? It would be easier to determine the benefits of using a perfect heated breeder vs a mk2 thingee if I had that little nugget of data in my noggin.

lyplyp