[Suggestion]: Compact Solar Panel Arrays for performance.

• 100% efficiency makes you a moron. Got it.

Thats a horrible way to summarize what i said. trying to reach 100% efficiency doesnt make you a moron, but trying to reach 100% efficiency at the cost of the server integrity and the stable play of other people do make you a moron AND a major Dick.

• Thats a horrible way to summarize what i said. trying to reach 100% efficiency doesnt make you a moron, but trying to reach 100% efficiency at the cost of the server integrity and the stable play of other people do make you a moron AND a major Dick.

Don't hate the player who doesn't like wasting stuff.

Hate the design that doesn't come with a solution for the problem.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Don't hate the player who doesn't like wasting stuff.

Hate the design that doesn't come with a solution for the problem.

Dont hate the designer that didnt foresee the problem.

Hate the players that keep using the faulty design even though they know it causes severe problems.

Honestly i think the original purpose of the solar generators never included "Being used in clusterfuck of more than 50+ blocks".

• Why does a the current HV solar panel have to produce 512eu/tick? It would be better to make them produce 20% less per tier to compensate for the fact it uses less space (and name will have to be changed accordingly).

While that does take a step further to being balanced than it was before, all it would ultimately do is encourage them to build more to offset the difference. Truth be told, you should never feel like building 512 solar panels was ever a good option, and instead be utilizing other sources of power. If there are a half dozen different methods of power generation and you're only ever using 1 of them, then the balance is off.

What you really need to be able to do, and I don't even know if this is possible within the constraints of the game, is to code either a hard or soft limit to how much solar you can harvest in a given area. Say, if you build a HV array, it's the only one that will work within 3 chunks or something. Or for every array in the area, it reduces the overall efficiency for all of them by a %. There has to be means of diminishing returns rather than a one-time or static penalty.

Of course the idea of a concentrating solar plant that has been thrown around also adds increased footprint to the equation, which also would potentially serve that need as well.

• While that does take a step further to being balanced than it was before, all it would ultimately do is encourage them to build more to offset the difference. Truth be told, you should never feel like building 512 solar panels was ever a good option, and instead be utilizing other sources of power. If there are a half dozen different methods of power generation and you're only ever using 1 of them, then the balance is off.

What you really need to be able to do, and I don't even know if this is possible within the constraints of the game, is to code either a hard or soft limit to how much solar you can harvest in a given area. Say, if you build a HV array, it's the only one that will work within 3 chunks or something. Or for every array in the area, it reduces the overall efficiency for all of them by a %. There has to be means of diminishing returns rather than a one-time or static penalty.

Of course the idea of a concentrating solar plant that has been thrown around also adds increased footprint to the equation, which also would potentially serve that need as well.

You cant hardcode a limit to the amount of anything in a world, its plain impossible afaik.

• Dont hate the designer that didnt foresee the problem.

Hate the players that keep using the faulty design even though they know it causes severe problems.

Honestly i think the original purpose of the solar generators never included "Being used in clusterfuck of more than 50+ blocks".

Energy from Sunlight.

Mass From Energy.

People will always over do it when you can do something like that.

If there was no Mass Fabricator, then there wouldn't be any point in having giant clusterfucks of Solar Panels. (Ignoring the whole '70 Solar Panels per Overclocked Machine' thing.)

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Because then people would complain that the recipe its too expensive for the amount of Solar panels they are investing in, and instead would keep building more regular solar panels like morons to not lose any energy. This is a war that regular people cant win against with the use of submods for ic2.

in my opinion let them bitch and argue about it being "to expensive" to turn your Solar Panels into an Array. after all, they aren;t being forced to make an array, and once you have enough solar panels to craft them into an array to minumalize server stress then they should have the materials for it anyways, if not, then they are retarded. furthermor, if you make a Solar Array / Assembly "to expensive" then maybe it will force those morons to go to using Reactors. and since solar is an infinate energy source then it is priceless and cannot be judged as "too expensive" in my opinion. even if the cost required a diamond per panel and was tripled some how i'd still build the arrays. i mean hell, if you get even 20 regular Solar Panels and a Mass Fabricator, just leave your computer on over night to generate matter and use that for the increase in expenses of the Solar Array. In the end, i think the solar array is a great idea, however, i don;t care if it takes up 1 block, or 50,000 blocks, atleast if it takes up 50,000 blocks it looks impressive and people see that it took you FOREVER to make and place that many at the top of the world. 50,000 solar panels to me is probly more impressive to see then the 1 to 1 scale ratio of The Starship Enterprise. As long as a solution is found to minimalize solar panel strain on a server, i could care less what the method is. i am all for then taking up my entire sky if they can still cause 1 Solar Panel with 511 "Attached Solar Panels" attached to create packets of 512.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Its still the player fault, mass fabricators have little to do with it, because you can also power with Nuclear reactors, or geothermals or fully loaded generators.

The players are the ones that keep abusing the solar generator for massive energy production (for whatever reason) when they are better methods for it.

• Nothing is better then free energy from Sunlight that requires no input from the player.

Reactors? Costs Uranium.

Geothermal? Costs Lava.

Regular? Costs Coal/Charcoal.

Only other ones are Water and Wind, and they require larger areas.

And it IS the Mass Fabricator's fault. Why? I don't see anyone making 50,000 RP2 Solar Panels. Probably because there isn't a RP2 Mass-Fabricator. If Eloraam ever adds that Bluetricity->EU converter, then I'd bet money people would just spam both, all to power a Mass Fabricator.

• Official Post

Geothermal can be placed at a big lava lake on nether
    Regular ones can burn scrap and most plants (you can automate a cacti farm) with forestry im sure you can automate a tree farm.
    Wind mills if placed using a space efficient design can generate more energy than solar, and it is still cheaper than it.
    Water mills if manned mode is automated using RP its great.

• And RP doesnt even use that much energy that justify having huge amounts of Solar panels yet.

and like spawn kindly listed, there are many ways to abuse the other generators in a way that wont completely fuck over the Server CPU and in the end can even cost a lot less than building 512 solar panels.

• And RP doesnt even use that much energy that justify having huge amounts of Solar panels yet.

and like spawn kindly listed, there are many ways to abuse the other generators in a way that wont completely fuck over the Server CPU and in the end can even cost a lot less than building 512 solar panels.

the only realy reason i use Solar Panels at all is AFK Mass Fabrication while i'm asleep and at work for a total of 15 totals a day, it's nit to come home to 4-5 stacks of matter while i was away. however; this is on My Server that i spent $800 setting up so the other people that play on it can't exactly bitch at me for doing it, but i still feel like a douch when i forget to turn them off or if i have to leave them on and the other people on my serverend up suffering from it. once i get home i turn off the cable feed from my solar panels and shut them off and switch over to my Reactors and Geothermal Generators. i'd just like to have that little extra kick of energy from my solar panels 24/7 without screwing over everyone else when they want to play on my server while i'm at work.

i do have to admit, it's far easier just using 8 Reactors over 3,000 solar panels for the same amount of energy. maybe for the time being i'll just make 256 MFSUs and charge them with everything i got on mondays, then turn it all off and drain them over a week and leave all my generators off-line, lol. i'll test this when i get home today if i have enough diamonds to make that many.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• the only realy reason i use Solar Panels at all is AFK Mass Fabrication while i'm asleep and at work for a total of 15 totals a day, it's nit to come home to 4-5 stacks of matter while i was away. however; this is on My Server that i spent $800 setting up so the other people that play on it can't exactly bitch at me for doing it, but i still feel like a douch when i forget to turn them off or if i have to leave them on and the other people on my serverend up suffering from it. once i get home i turn off the cable feed from my solar panels and shut them off and switch over to my Reactors and Geothermal Generators. i'd just like to have that little extra kick of energy from my solar panels 24/7 without screwing over everyone else when they want to play on my server while i'm at work.

i do have to admit, it's far easier just using 8 Reactors over 3,000 solar panels for the same amount of energy. maybe for the time being i'll just make 256 MFSUs and charge them with everything i got on mondays, then turn it all off and drain them over a week and leave all my generators off-line, lol. i'll test this when i get home today if i have enough diamonds to make that many.

But it was your own choice to use the solar generators and abuse the hell out of them even if it was for using the mass fabricators, instead of creating some automatic tree farms to power regular generators automatically (Using redpower,forestry,redpower, those mods cause less stress to the server than the amount of solar gens), Mass gen gives you a reason to produce stupid amounts of energy, but it was your own decision to use Solars over any other method for the production was it not?

• well i don't abuse the Solar Panels when others are online on purpose, but sometimes they are left on by accident, and i didn;t make them, i forcefully removed them from the other players on my server that made them. what i do with them is charge lapotron crystals when no one is online, and they use the lapotron crystals as their power sources for their house, so they only need 1 or 2 lapotron crystals a day, that way the panels do not need to keep running. also, i personally use 8 reactors, 24 geo thermals, and 12 regular generators running off a cactus scrapping farm. i resist solar panel usage unless i'm the only one online. then i'm just like "screw it, i reap what i sow!" and bite the bullet and turn on the solar panel array for an hour or 2, shut off the solar panels and then usually restart the actual server for it's own sake. lol. so as i said before, i just think it would be nice to not have to turn them off all the time and only use them when no one else is on. so as to what this thread is about.

please fashion a way for generators to unite power and send 1 packet of 512 instead of 512 packets of 1EU in any way possible. i could care less as to how much space it takes up in the long run.

• Snoochy - I'm actually interested in how you are able to keep 24 geothermals running. Are you powering lapotrons in the Nether or are you actually able to collect enough lava to keep them going?

• Snoochy - I'm actually interested in how you are able to keep 24 geothermals running. Are you powering lapotrons in the Nether or are you actually able to collect enough lava to keep them going?

He always have a mass fabricator running remember? My bet its that he uses the UUM for converting it into lava, although i dunno if it gives an equal amount of energy or more pr less, never made the calculations for it.

• He always have a mass fabricator running remember? My bet its that he uses the UUM for converting it into lava, although i dunno if it gives an equal amount of energy or more pr less, never made the calculations for it.

A bucket of lava will only produce 20,000 EU, and I don't know of any method of lava from energy that comes anywhere close that number. He'd be way better off just building additional storage if he's looking for power to get him through the night.

• He always have a mass fabricator running remember? My bet its that he uses the UUM for converting it into lava, although i dunno if it gives an equal amount of energy or more pr less, never made the calculations for it.

lapotrons in the nether, quantum suits and potions to go scuba diving in the nether with empty cells while i watch movies, i usually just gather up large amount sof stacks of lava cells for burst energy from the geo's at my facility. the lapotron charging station is usually for charging quantum armor but i use it for lapotron crystals when the MFSUs are full.

i was actually wanting to do that too with the UUM and making lava using buildcraft auto-crafting tables to make lava and then feed lava blocks into the geo thermals, but the geothermals do not accept "source lava" sadly. also i don;t think it would be as effective, i think a lava in a geothermal onlt give like 20000 energy total per block, and the matter to make it would be 3mill without scraps.

originally i was going to use all the geo thermals in the nether with Buildcraft pipes to feed lava into 64 geothermals for my fabricators, but they will not work together sadly. so i had to find a use for the 32 i had already made.