Suggestion: Drainage grate

• Name: Drainage grate

Description:
    Solid metal/ceramic block, which doesn't block items or water/lava flow. If redstoned, it prevents water from flowing through, but lets items pass. It also behaves like air to flowing water, so it will actually consider it when checking for lower floor.

It may be used in various farms including mobs, very good looking bridges, emergency water drainage without holes in the floor and more. I am not completely sure if that's hard to code or even impossible. Please let me know about it.

• Lava/water flow control is possible. Look Floodgate
    But is it possible under Forge?
    Can't you use Trapdoor for emergency drain?

Floodgate can be done with piston - not what I mean.
    Trapdoor won't let water or items through - not what I mean.

You want a block which co-exist(both grate and flowing water/lava/modliquid on same block) with flowing liquids? eh don't think its possible

Yes, It is definitely possible, but I don't know if it is possible with forge.

• Well as stated in the watermill-thread (one of them) I would like watermills to work that way. They produce energy and let water flow through them without redstone-signal and if they get one they close.

And this should be possible, BtB has a Block that does something similar (it counts as a source-block if it has liquid inside) so other states should be possible too. And it should work with forge and even if not, it won't be that problematic to just submit the hook for hit.

• I my memory serves, someone did do this, they set the drain to something like air to liquids and items, but as a solid to entities. I'm going to try and find that drain mod.

EDIT: Appears there were several when I searched under the MCF: the mod mentioned above, FiniteLiquid, and BTW/BTB.

• I my memory serves, someone did do this, they set the drain to something like air to liquids and items, but as a solid to entities. I'm going to try and find that drain mod.

EDIT: Appears there were several when I searched under the MCF: the mod mentioned above, FiniteLiquid, and BTW/BTB.

I'm aware of all that. Thing is, I don't want BTB or FiniteLiquid, and mod mentioned above was never really maintained. Also grates in IndustrialCraft would make some sense.

• I'm aware of all that. Thing is, I don't want BTB or FiniteLiquid, and mod mentioned above was never really maintained. Also grates in IndustrialCraft would make some sense.

Yes, but I was pointing out that creating a block that would allow liquids/items though, but not entities is possible. And yes, grates would make sense, especially if you're developing a mob grinder.

• Another thing is, they created this block before, but not under forge.

Derp. Point, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that Forge would contain the needed hooks into the Block class in order to make this kind of thing possible (keep in mind, I haven't rummaged through Forge's source for a little while)