[Question] Speed of tools in SMP vs SSP

• Hi folks,

I'm currently running 1.64 using the bukkit port. When I'm in SMP and using a charged diamond drill, both dirt (not grass) and netherrack disappear almost instantly. I hold my mouse button and wave my drill around and the blocks disappear so quickly they make a zippp noise.

However when I'm in SSP, the speed is dramatically reduced. It's still quite fast, but slow enough that the noise is a distinct pop pop pop pop.
    Comparing with an uncharged diamond drill (acquired via NEI), it appears to be the same speed.

Anyone else seen this behaviour? Is this an aspect of the bukkit port or does it appear in 'vanilla' IC2 as well?

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• I know you get a LOT of questions Richard, but sometimes I think you're a little too quick to flick people elsewhere. I have indeed posted this to mcportcentral. I'm posting here as well because, as I mentioned, I'm also seeing a problem in SSP which is not mcportcentral's domain.

There is a fundamental question which only IC2 people can answer: Are IC2 tools supposed to operate the same in the nether as they do in the overworld? If that is a yes then I know for sure that I need to troubleshoot. If you say they're not then I probably don't need to waste time on it.

Another encouragement for me to ask here is that when running Single Player,
    it seems a charged and uncharged diamond drill operate at the same
    speed. That's another question that only IC2 people can answer.

The middle-ground issue is a comparison of drill speeds in vanilla IC2 SMP vs bukkit SMP. Thus I ask, in vanilla IC2 SMP, does a charged diamond drill break dirt and netherrack so fast that it makes a zip sound or is it just a rapid popping?

If no one here cares to relate their experiences then so be it. I'll build up a vanilla IC2 server when I have the time and energy but I was hoping that someone else might be able to offer some advice and observations.

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.

• I believe it's a SMP thing.

Chainsaw goes slower on SSP, but you can make it faster by clicking rapidly.

However, on SMP if you click and hold, the leaves are annihilated.

Why I think it's an SMP thing is that farming reeds by hand does the same thing. SSP it's fastest to spam click, but on SMP you can click and hold and wipe out the reeds without any effort.

Also, on a Vanilla Modded SMP server with the Diamond Drill it will eat through Netherrack, as far as you can reach, instantly. Same with Dirt- But not Grass. (Grass takes longer, apparently.)

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Right, both of your comments make sense.

Can you elaborate on the q-suit problems?

I am having some problems with my q-suit when in the nether.
    Most notable is the helmet makes me think I'm not hungry but in reality I'm starving.
    I also find that a q-boot jump sometimes also warps me sideways very quickly (straight into a lava pool of course).
    Occasionally I get booted for speed hacking. The server is on my LAN.

Are these known q-suit issues in the nether?

• I to see this happening, Im running version 1.70b (I am NOT using bukkit). On SMP dirt,sand,nether dig up instantly but on SSP there greatly slower. A diamond drill is about the same speed as a diamond pick axe on SSP.

• As far as I know, the Quantum Suit has never worked correct in the Nether.

At least, not since 1.337.

And I don't think the speed difference in SSP and SMP can be fixed. It's more then just IC2 stuff that does it.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.